main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why are you even there?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by don_stormtrooper, Apr 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. don_stormtrooper

don_stormtrooper Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2005
    What did you all expect? Wasn't it bad enough last year waiting in those long lines? Didn't any of you get the hint from the long line and bad set ups. It's all bad. Especially since the original cast bailed out on you? Come on. Pack it up and go home. But before you do, shake hands with don bies and ben burt. they deserve so much more than celebration III.

DS

Amos edit: Trolling.

2. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I did not go, but there are more things to enjoy than what you have to line up for.

Most of all, I think I would have enjoyed meeting fans from all over the world. People whom I have communicated with on the Internet but not in real life.

For you who have been there, please post your positive experiences! :D

3. don_stormtrooper

Apr 22, 2005
    sad and pathetic

4. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Yes, you really are.

5. don_stormtrooper

Apr 22, 2005
    If I was in line with you, maybe.

6. DARTHLARS

Mar 12, 2002
    Wow. I did not know anybody who is there could be more depressed than I am right now... :eek:

Is there anything else than the long lines that is troubling you?

7. don_stormtrooper

Apr 22, 2005
    i learned my lesson from celebartion II. there is nothing new or exciting about episode III. the convention is just as predictable and lame as the pequels. save your money and time and go home. there is no line at book store to read the graphic novel of episode III.

8. DARTHLARS

Mar 12, 2002
    Whoa. So you would have gone for spoilers?
    Are you not spoiled enough? I think I am. I used to be a spoiler junkie, downloading just about everything I could from starwars.com, leaving the webcam on all day... But it came a point where I thought that the material was enough. I did not realized that you could be more spoiled.

I know several people who are there who are trying to be spoiler free.. They are there for other things.

9. don_stormtrooper

Apr 22, 2005
    yeah, i like spoilers. i guess it's a guilty pleasure. didn't you want to run to the bookstore and read episode III right away? have you heard any spoilers yet at the convention?

10. DARTHLARS

Mar 12, 2002
    The interview with Ian McDiarmid was certainly spoilerish. HyperSpace members can be download it from the Official Site.

Also, check what is playing in the 500 Ballroom, fri-sun. ;)
    I also expect all the Making Of, etc.. to contain spoiler material. It may not be much new that you have not heard before, but I expect it to be be much more in depth.

11. greebly

greebly Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2005
    Fans go to Celebration to meet other fans, see the stars and have fun. I , for one, love the events as much as I love the prequels. The lines are part of the fun. People like Steve Sansweet and Rick McCallum make me, as a fan, feel special. We're not just money to them. We're family. Steve Sansweet even shook my hand once a few years ago. That was a real thrill.

12. don_stormtrooper

Apr 22, 2005
    I met steve sansweet once. he lied to me on what my cpo tape dispenser cost.

13. greebly

greebly Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2005
    I'm sure he wasn't lying. He is an expert on that kind of thing. Maybe you should take your negativity to another board. Star Trek maybe.

14. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    I met steve sansweet once. he lied to me on what my cpo tape dispenser cost.

Lying is intentionally saying some you know not to be true. There is no real set price for collectibles. They are basically worth what you are willing to pay for them. All a knowledgable person can tell is how much an item typically goes for, but nothing is set in stone.

Fans go to Celebration to meet other fans, see the stars and have fun. I , for one, love the events as much as I love the prequels. The lines are part of the fun. People like Steve Sansweet and Rick McCallum make me, as a fan, feel special. We're not just money to them. We're family. Steve Sansweet even shook my hand once a few years ago. That was a real thrill.

Bingo. Could C3 been more organized and accessable? Yes. But just because not everything has been ideal, it doesn't mean that it hasn't been worthwhile. I've met new friends and faces and seen people I've only met once or twice before. I spoken with cast members and picked up autographs. I saw most of 1 Man Star Wars and went to an awesome trading card collecting panel hosted by an online friend of mine. I've had fun and will continue to do so until I leave. :)

15. greebly

greebly Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2005
    I LOOOVVEEDDD the One Man Star Wars. It was so funny!

16. buzz57

buzz57 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2002
    I am home, and this celebration sucked, that's all I have to say.

17. abovetopsecret1138

abovetopsecret1138 Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2005
    Apparently I need to repeat myself again. I arrrived in line around 7am in the mornig and still didnt get through the doors till around 2pm. I came for the presentations and people interaction. All I got was 2 missed presentations 3 hour lines. That is not fun to me. I paid for the early fan entrance to get in early before the main crowd. Well the main crowd was coming in the same time as I. Otherwise the con was well done as far as having things to do and people to see maybe if you were in line at 3am or some such thing.

18. greebly

greebly Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2005
    Maybe you should stop standing in line and start interacting with people? You would meet a whole lot of interesting fans just like you.

19. Rose_Lady

Rose_Lady Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2005
    -directed to the first post:
    Perhaps you should not have gone at all if you had reason to complain about CIII. I, myself, am too far away from the convention centre. I missed the last one, and I was hoping there might have been a chance to catch a ride down with my dad (who travels to the USA regularily) but that just didnt happen. There were lines and you needed to wait - so what? You were still there. You were able to see things that many dont have the chance to because they just can't budget it to get there or their friends/family wont go with them. You met/could have met the fans - from all over the world - and enjoyed your wait in line!
    I would have been happy just in doing that. It was pretty much the only reason I wanted to go so bad. I would have loved to have gone, but It happened that I couldn't. Im 3 months away from being an adult and thus cant fly on my own, and I couldnt get a ride otherwise.
    If you have something negative to say about the convention, perhaps you should take it to another board.

Just my two cents.

20. obi-wan-bartak

obi-wan-bartak Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 26, 2001
    first of the convention wasnt last year it was threee years ago in 2002, i think they just hadnt the volunteers a badge and sent to their areas with no training, long lines to just get in yesterday , then 2 hours wrapped around the building just to get in the entrance to the hall with the C3 merchandise, i went today, had a better experiece, but the convention center was really hot, i dont think they had air condtioner on at all, with all the body heat and all.

21. don_stormtrooper

Apr 22, 2005
    To all the people that suffered like I did at C2... You have my sympathies. To all the do-gooders bent on "meeting people"... If I wanna meet people, I'll go to a pick up bar. If I want Star Wars, I go to a Star Wars Celebration.

22. Rose_Lady

Rose_Lady Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2005
    you can't just meet anyone at a pick-up bar. What are the odds that the person you would meet at a pick up bar would be remotely interested in star wars - let alone a lasting friendship. The people who are waiting in the lines before AND after you are also there for the star wars convention - but since they are all in the same boat (waiting for hours) why not make some friends in the process?

23. don_stormtrooper

Apr 22, 2005
    Why would I want a lasting relationship? A pick up bar is for pick ups.

24. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    I don't go to just "meet people." That's just a way to pass time while waiting. I'll admit that when I was in line in the freezing rain this morning for a good two hours that really wasn't happening, but I could've said forget it and gone back to the Hyatt. Instead I opted to get soaked through and barely able to feel my feet in my Jedi boots. But I wanted Star Wars so I waited until I got in and then it was. Not every panel/event is easy to get into (I tried the small Lucasfilm Archives several times) but the line was always capped. So I did some of the smaller panels, exhibit halls, and the autograph hall. You simply asked why people were there, and this this is why I was.

These cons have always been crowded (though not this much so, at least at C2) and it is NEVER possible to do everything you want to do. Going with the expectation of being able to do everything is just going to lead to disappointment.

25. sonofsidds

sonofsidds Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2005
    i wasnt there to make friends.. i have enough. I was there to show my nephew the fun of star wars... in turn it was a horror.. long lines... no celebration shop.. and clueless staff that could not send us in the right direction. i took the day off from work...had my nephew and sister fly in from dallas... drove from chicago... and could not buy anything from the official celebration store. PATHETIC!!! credit card dispute started over tickets... they can eat that at least for false advertising. If you plan to go saturday or sunday.. dont waste your time it is not worth it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.