main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why did C3-PO, R2-D2 and Chewbacca work for comic relief but not Jar Jar?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Logan La Marco, Feb 28, 2016.

1. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Oh this place.

2. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    According to Lucas people automatically hated R2 and C3P0 after they watched episode 4.

I put it down too time.

3. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    People didn't hate R2. I'll admit 3PO was a little annoying.

Dandelo likes this.
  4. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Actually its fitting. TPM feels child like cuz Anakin is a child, AOTC is very teen like with romance and battles & Anakin is older teen, and ROTS is adult with the brutality, hard choices, and themes & Anakin is the most adult looking at being a father.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
    RogueDianoga likes this.
  5. Lowly Gungan

Lowly Gungan Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 11, 2022
    I see no reason why Jar Jar should be more childish than Threepio, except that he is simply a more relatable but naive character.

It might have been nice to see him mature as the trilogy went along.

6. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    3PO wasn't making fart jokes. It was very different humor. Not everyone has to like it. If people do that's great.

7. Lowly Gungan

Aug 11, 2022
    Jar Jar didn't do that either exactly. He did once remark on how gross such things were in one livestock. Sure, the movie might have served well to have it removed, but that was not the primary source of Jar Jar's humor. As far as I know, no media since has gone back to that.

8. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    yeah I was gonna say, people hated Artoo? news to me :p

9. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    George needs to take some memory vitamins :p

10. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Threepio shtick was being annoying, Han even tells them to switch him off, and “never tell me the odds.” :D

christophero30 likes this.
  11. Lowly Gungan

Aug 11, 2022
    Here's the thing: when A New Hope came out, there were no older fans to complain about it and so George Lucas did not have to meet high expectations. Hence, those who did not like Threepio (plenty of people don't) typically would just say they are not Star Wars fans. I think people were disappointed that The Phantom Menace was a children's movie and was not made to be more mature as they are now.

Plenty of people didn't like the Ewoks.

12. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    ANH appealed to all ages. There was just no internet. The problem was the first 2 films were pretty well loved, so there was only one way to go from there. A lot of people were disappointed in ROTJ at the time, mainly because of the Ewoks.

13. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I heard kids were traumatized seeing their teddy bears blown to pieces by the Empire. ROTj is actually the darkest entry in the Saga! :p

14. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I like ROTJ too. But that was the first time I remember people complaining about SW.

15. Lowly Gungan

Aug 11, 2022
    Perhaps, but not everyone liked Threepio, and most of them didn't like Star Wars.

I think people expected The Phantom Menace to be darker because it was about Anakin Skywalker.

16. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I liked TPM. But I found Jar Jar cringey. But he doesn't bother me now. Anakin being young didn't bother me, although I was in my 20s by then. It fit the story. No not all older OT fans hated the PT.

17. Lowly Gungan

Aug 11, 2022
    I know. To be clear, I think it is fair enough to say that you don't like Jar Jar. I just think that it's an overreaction to say he was objectively worse than what came before. I did find one or two Jar Jar scenes in The Phantom Menace cringeworthy, but I enjoyed him for the most part. I think he is better in other media.

christophero30 likes this.
  18. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I like him now.

19. Jedi Bluth

Jedi Bluth SOS & 7X Hangman Winner star 6

Sep 4, 2021
    C-3PO was funny, because he was not intending to be
    R2-D2 was funny cause it was situational humor
    Chewie I can't say he was funny, it was the others reacting to him
    Jar-Jar I thought was okay as a character, his clumsiness is what I found funny.

To be honest, I'm not sure why Jar-Jar gets the hate, he was no worse than Ewoks. He also had less screen time than them as well..

20. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    edit, slight computer malfunction

21. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    quadruple post

22. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    It should have been. Maul’s arrival on Tatooine should have been the tone for the whole movie that is called The Phantom Menace.

23. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003

... ...... I have no idea what you're on about.

24. Lowly Gungan

Aug 11, 2022
    I think Jar Jar fills the archetypes of both Chewie and Threepio to an extent. I suppose it could be argued that Threepio was funnier than Jar Jar (somewhat subjectively, but still). Nevertheless, I prefer Jar Jar to both Threepio and Chewie. I found Jar Jar more relatable than Threepio as a character (since Threepio is a mostly expressionless droid who, as far as I can remember, neither offered much help to anyone outside of mild negotiations with the Ewoks nor had a single serious moment prior to The Rise of Skywalker) and simply kinder and more generous than Chewie (who apparently rips arms out of sockets for trivial reasons).
    Why do you say that?

25. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    We needed a darker trilogy. How else does Anakin become Vader? ROTS got close.

26. Lowly Gungan

Aug 11, 2022
    Hence, Revenge of the Sith is a darker movie than The Phantom Menace. I think the fun thing about the Prequel trilogy is that the tone of each movie matches Anakin's stage of life. In Episode 1, he is at his peak. Hence, it is the lightest of the movies. His peak happens to be when he is nine years old, so it feels like a children's movie. As Anakin gets darker, the story gets darker. No one starts out evil, which is kind of the point of The Phantom Menace. I think seeing Anakin as an innocent young boy makes his turn to the Dark Side more shocking.