main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why did George sell Lucasfilm?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by MikeWW, Feb 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeWW

MikeWW Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2019
    And why did he sell them to Disney of all companies? And why/how did he get pushed out of the development of VII?

2. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    Whether the sale itself was initially GL's or Bob Iger's I don't know. I suspect GL wanted to go for one last ride and retire. The attachment of the OT3 resulted in LFL's extra value at that moment in time. The sale of Lucasfilm provided him with an exit strategy.

I'm pretty sure he was blindsided by the falling out. I get the feeling midichlorians and other such plot details were at the heart of Disney's desire to scrap GL's treatment.

MikeWW likes this.
  3. MikeWW

Feb 20, 2019
    None of it really makes sense to me. If GL was too burned by the "fans" and just said screw it to Star Wars I could sympathize, but his Netherworld trilogy made it seem like he was ready to buck the "fans" and what they wanted until the very end.

4. eko32eko7

Jan 10, 2018
    I'm not sure I understand what is meant by "buck the fans".

I think the popular response to the PT had a significant effect on GL, but not the extent that he would change his approach to a potential sequel trilogy. I'm convinced GL was building to something that was very special to him, but it was not a vision shared by BI/KK/JJ so that was probably a daily battle and he just got sick of it.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  5. MikeWW

Feb 20, 2019
    Sometimes I think people are simply out to get other people. How could JJ or anyone honestly and truly believe that they were better off without GL?
    Is JJ that much of an ego maniac?

6. eko32eko7

Jan 10, 2018
    That's one of the more interesting things about the whole scenario... it certainly doesn't appear they had a specific vision or superior story ready to go. It's one thing for LFL to think they can proceed competently without GL. Its another matter entirely to believe you can pull such a thing off without significant planning, focus and coordination.

MikeWW likes this.
  7. MikeWW

Feb 20, 2019
    That's what I'm trying to get at. The entire thing is a giant question mark and the answer pretty much requires someone in the scenario to be a vindictive and/or arrogant subhuman.
    Also Disney very clearly paid off critics/tastemakers since the movie is unashamedly not a movie. It's not telling a story of any kind, really.

Jesta' likes this.
  8. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Ah, there it is. The ol' "Question thread actually intended to **** on something". I know it well.

Jedi Princess and heels1785 like this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It’s not OK to create a thread for the sole purpose of bashing Disney/LFL.

Locking. @LAJ_FETT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.