main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Leia Mega-Thread, formerly Why did Princess Leia criticize her "rescue" on the Death Star?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by SWF417, May 7, 2015.

1. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    If you were going to rescue her, I'd hope you'd have a plan that didn't amount to:

(1) Impersonate Stormtroopers
    (2) Find the cell bay
    (3) Shoot up everyone else when they see through your ruse
    (4) Release the princess from her cell
    (5) See that now half of the section is bearing down your ass
    (6) ???
    (7) PROFIT!!!

jakobitis89 likes this.
  2. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I'd think of something :p

Dagobahsystem and DARTHLINK like this.
  3. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Apparently this is how Leia should have been, instead of being her "rude" self.

Han, Luke, Leia and Chewbacca pinned in the Death Star.

Leia (in sqeaky princes Peach voice): Thank you for saving me you big strong men.

Luke: I'm actually not that muscaler but thanks.

Han: Shut up kid, your welcome princes but you do realize where pinned right?

Leia: Oh I'm sure you guys can get us out of here in time for tea.

Luke: Why don't you help us to get out of this mess.

Leia: And break a fingernail? Parish the thought.

Chewy: Raaagh*

Seriously, wouldn't anyone be a bit annoyed if your rescuers didn't have a clue what they were doing?

*translation: Did we have to rescue her?

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.
  4. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh - she forgot her place, eh? What place is that - batting her eyes and effusive thanks?

If a pair of bumbling, clueless, yet male would-be-rescuers, show up and prove themselves incapable of coming up with the next step, it is still imperative that the female would-be-rescuee extend polite and courteous thanks for the brave attempt.

Got to give the girl credit for coming up with an idea - even if in hindsight it may not have been a good idea - at least she had an idea.

5. PHIERY

PHIERY Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    [face_sigh]

[face_sigh]
    No-one else is discussing gender. Why is there such a deliberate effort to derail this thread and get it locked? Which has happened to other similar threads. I just want to discuss this particular topic, without the gender nonsense.

6. DARTHLINK

Feb 24, 2005
    What should Leia have done? Been a little more of a stoic officer guiding the bumbling trio of idiots to an escape path?

<Detention Facility>
    "Good work, but this strategy will result in our deaths. Here, give me that blaster, kid." <pew> "In here! Follow me!"

<Chute>
    "Well crap. Hey, let's think this through. Think it through. Kid, do you have a communication device on you per chance?"

<Death Star Hallway>
    "Han, I hope you and your friend here have a ship we can get to. Hanger Bay xyz? OK, let's see if there's a way we can get there without fighting half the station."

<Obi-Wan/Vader Fight>
    "Get into the ship, boys! Get into the ship!!"

7. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    One reason we bring up the gender references is because occasionally a poster brings up something along the lines of why does Leia criticize her male rescuers? So it's fair game to say is the criticism of her attitude to her rescuers, or to the males who are (trying) to rescue her? It's an honest and valid question because it really does tie in to if the criticism is gender-based, snark-based, or a combination.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm watching this thread closely due to the locked similar discussions in the past as well as the crackdowns that ST mods have had to conduct on similar threads in that forum.

I think all posters are aware that criticism that is strictly gender-based (or race-based, or any other stereotype-based) absolutely will not stand around here. I will only warn/edit once, if that.

Since this thread got bumped a couple of days ago, everyone has behaved and handled this discussion well, which I appreciate. Let's keep it that way.

This is more a word of friendly advice than a mod directive, so take it in that context: I have been accused of being sexist in discussions here because I don't like Mara Jade or Ahsoka Tano. The best defense is to point out the disliked traits and the fact that those traits would be/are disliked in male characters.

And that's really as far as discussion should go regarding "Are you criticizing Leia because she's a woman?" "No, I just don't like snark. Carry on."

Dandelo and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Threepio is going by what he sees on the display of the cellbay. If there was another way out, other than the garbage masher, he didn't see it and neither did Artoo. Hence the only other way out is the garbage masher.

And if not for Leia, they'd be dead.

Really? She's the one who got the Death Star plans to the Alliance. She's the one who got Han, Luke and Chewie out of the detention block. She's the one who bought Luke time to get out the grapnel rope. She's the one who turned the Falcon back around to rescue Luke. She's the one who un-thawed Han. She's the one who killed Jabba, thus ending Han's debt to him.

10. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    What is Han supposed to say? Is he supposed to go Wiseau and say, "You're tearing me apart, Your Worship!" [face_rofl]

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Leia snarking at Luke and Han mid-rescue is, like, my favourite bit of hers in the entire movie. Make me laugh every time. Han totally tries to pass the buck off to Luke with "He's the brains, sweetheart!"

12. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Since the DS tractor beam pulled the MF in, the crew had no choice but to improvise their plan. Remember, they were trying to get R2 to Alderaan, never expecting to find it destroyed and that "small moon" over there.
    Once they were aboard the DS, it's quite a miracle that any of them made it out alive.
    I like Leia's character and her toughness. It was life or death when they were trapped in the cell block. Her last second plan with the trash compacter did get them out of immediate danger and eventually led to the next stage of their escape. It was a team effort, which is one of the themes of ANH, imo. Ben, Leia, Luke, Han, Chewie, R2 and Threepio's combined efforts led to their escape.
    I don't get too bogged down with the plausibility of the plots in SW. That can be interesting for a minute, but eventually you can start to dismember the film so much that the fun and enjoyment can be lost. Ever watch a movie with someone and they constantly critique holes in the plot and lack of plausibility and what not? I don't find that to be too much fun. Kinda like Debbie Downer! ANH is escapism. Entertainment. Not fact.
    I think Leia Organa is a great character and did the best she could in a life and death situation.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  13. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    It's Leia being sassy.

14. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    A sense of humor, you may have not.

Plus, Leia is kind of a (expletive) in the first movie. She's supposed to be that way, it's her character. She's used to bossing people around, and she's used to them kissing her behind and doing whatever she tells them. She's a (expletive) on the outside which is why Han can't stand her. But deep inside, she's still a bit vulnerable and has a good heart, which is why Han falls for her too.

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Why does Leia have to be a bitch? What isn't Han an ass hat? Did it occur to people that you'd insult people who were moronic? I know I would.

16. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    Well Han is kind of an (expletive) too. Which is why he rubs Leia the wrong way. But deep down, he's a good guy and comes back and saves the Alliance. She falls in love with him. They are similar in that way. But the topic was about Leia, so that's why I discussed her. She's definitely a spoiled little (expletive) in the first movie. But deep down she's good. It's nice to have 3-dimensional characters like that.

17. PHIERY

Feb 7, 2009
    C3PO didn't have access to the restricted area. The Stormtroopers were coming in from only one direction, and that cell bay corridor seemed to go on forever. If that corridor was explored, there should've been countless of better escape routes. Instead, the Princess got them all trapped in a garbage compactor in which only a massive plot hole could get them out - not the Princess.

If not for Leia, Alderaan would never have been blown up, and the heroes would never be in the predicament of rescuing a Princess who was incapable of even rescuing herself. When heroes rescues you, when you had no chance of surviving, you be grateful. It would be the same as someone being rescued by a big strong fireman. You don't whinge and whine and insult the hero. You stfu and be grateful your life was saved, especially when you were incapable of saving yourself (as the Princess was).

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah...no. Referring to a sexist gangster slaver as "unarmed and defenseless" and accusing Leia of "murdering him in cold blood" after he enslaved her is crossing the line between an "alternate viewpoint of Star Wars" and trolling.

Enough already.

19. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    I agree, she used the opportunity to get rid of a criminal, who was with a very high probability guilty of prostitution, drug-traffic and other things so disgusting that she would have deserved a medal.

Not too dissimilar to what Kenobi did to Roofoo and "Ponda Baba". Either Kenobi knew that this criminal trio needed to be stopped or he knew from the claim "I have the death sentence in 12 systems" that it was time to bring these lowlife characters to "justice".

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Let's get back to the Death Star rescue.

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

How is she spoiled?

The corridor doesn't go on. That's why no one runs back that way. All the rest of the way back is nothing but cells and a wall. If there was another way out, we would have seen Stormtroopers and Imperial officers coming from that way. Much less shooting from that way. Someone would have said, "Let's go that way!" The fact that they didn't means that there is no other way out...which is precisely what Threepio said.

Alderaan was ****** because the Empire figured out that Bail was the leader of the Alliance. So it didn't matter what Leia did, its days were numbered. And yes, you would complain. I would complain. I'd call them all dumbasses for not doing a better job. Just like Henry Jones did.

1. Leia was the one who had the code necessary to unlock the data tapes, since Bail and Breha were dead. No one else could hack Artoo's systems.

2. Who delivered Artoo to Yavin 4? Leia did.

3. Who made sure that the Rebels of "Rogue One" who had fought valiantly were able to get the Death Star plans to Yavin? It wasn't them.

Luke was the one who screwed up because he destroyed the controls for the bridge, which resulted in their being trapped. Leia was the one who provided firing cover for Luke, so he doesn't get his ass shot, while he's finding the rope.

Lando was the one who wanted to abandon Luke. Leia said that they're going back and she is the one who told Lando that they were going to do that and that she was the one who was piloting the ship, not Lando.

22. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Leia's not in the least bit spoiled, she takes charge and starts giving orders because Alderaanian royalty are the non-ceremonial version. She was raised and trained to be a leader, so she lead. Luke and Han did a pretty decent job of getting IN but quite clearly had no plans to get back OUT. Better to face the unknown future down the hatch than the known future of being shot full of holes by Storm troopers.

23. DARTHLINK

Feb 24, 2005
    ...OK? What does that prove?

Because being used as a sex slave by a giant alien slug is not an evil thing at all.

He was also trying to save Lando, Han, Chewie, R2 and C-3PO. What's your point here?

24. PHIERY

Feb 7, 2009
    If you were to go back and read what these responses were to, you'll see what I was trying to prove, and what my point was.

I'm afraid I can't discuss the Jabba - Leia topic. anakinfan edit: Nope. The passive-aggression and baiting stops. The in-thread warning earlier was more than sufficient to explain why the Jabba-Leia topic cannot be discussed.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    This thread goes back to the Death Star rescue or gets locked.