main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why did ROTS fare so poorly at the UK Box Office?

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by DarthHomer, Aug 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Relatively speaking, that is. Sure it made 39 million pounds, but that's a lot less than TPM's 51 million. In fact, if you adjust for inflation, it's the least successful Star Wars film by far. Even AOTC made over 44 million adjusted. See here.
    Strange that the reaction for the film was so much more positive, but fewer people saw it than the other prequels. Maybe the 12A rating reduced its kid audience. Or maybe it's just the worldwide box office recession that's to blame (although ROTS did better in most other countries). If I was still in the UK I'd do my part and see it multiple times at whatever cinemas it's still playing at. But I'm not, so I won't worry :)

2. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    12A rating wouldn't stop people though, 12A just means kids need an adult present with them at the cinema so it isn't entirely taking away from kids, just kids going by themselves.

3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I think it might also be a repeat viewings thing
    I only saw ROTS once, but I saw the other 2 prequels more then once

4. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    I didnt know it fared poorly in the UK. I've just ben focusing on the WOrld wide gross.... whcich is impressive.

Richie, you only saw it that once? bloomin' 'eck

5. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I couldn't be bothered to see it again
    All my friends saw it without me

And I was low on cash

6. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    I only saw it two times, and the second time I had to wait for someone to pay for my in Canada because I was that low on money lol

Some people can't afford to see it like 20 times, not that I would even if I did have the money

7. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    You can watch it many times on DVD anyway :p

8. orn-free-tada

Aug 11, 2001
    I saw it 6 times in theatres :eek: :D

9. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    If cinemas were cheaper then I would go more often

10. DARTH_RAMA

DARTH_RAMA Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 14, 2005
    Who knows

11. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    The casual fan had given up after seeing TPM and AOTC, hence fewer hits at the box office.

I only saw it twice, and that was once too much.

12. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Exactly, £5.50 is the cheapest I can get my ticket which is just over 2 days of travelling money needed for university.

I think Malkie has it though, most people after seeing the first two were not as bothered about this one.

13. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I dont know if that theory works that well though

Many were put off after seeing TPM because they were very dissapointed in it, so they didn't go and see AOTC
    The people that did see AOTC realised how much better it was compared with TPM and thought Lucas must be getting better so ROTS will be great.
    Therefore, everyone goes to see ROTS

Its pirate copies and single viewings in rip-off cinemas that stopped ROTS getting as high as it should be

14. orn-free-tada

Aug 11, 2001
    PLus the return of Vader was a pretty big reason to see the film. the curiosity factor must ahve been pretty high in that respect

15. Jazzatola

Jazzatola Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 16, 2001
    I saw it four times in the first week but haven't seen it at all since then. Part of it is the sadness I feel at the passing of the prequels and the sombre nature of the content of the film. Still I feel quite melancholy when I think about ROTS. I think its a superb film but all in all its a bit of a downer.

16. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    A lot like life then :p

17. Number11MosEisley

Number11MosEisley Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2005
    Maybe it was all down to hype. TPM was massively hyped and for many it was a disappointment. Because of that AOTC was relatively low key which may have played on curiousity value, as well as reviews that said how much better than TPM it was. I saw ROTS 4 times, more than AOTC and TPM.

18. orn-free-tada

Aug 11, 2001
    Jazz, where the frell have you been!? :eek::D.

19. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    Well I saw it 5 or 6 times. Maybe because it was darker? or that the pirate copys were being sold by school dinner ladies? (my mums school(shes a teacher))

20. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    It was boring.

First time was an event, everything fantastic.

Second time the space battle, boarding Grevious ship, and 'rescue' of the Chancellor were still very entertaining the second time round...then I fell asleep.

Compared to the number of times I have viewed the original Trilogy, at the cinema, on video, and television, I didn't take this as a good sign.

21. Darth_Konikus

Darth_Konikus Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2005
    I think its down to the amount of CG used. Dont get me wrong, it needs a lot just to tell the story but it was used in places that it didnt need to be which detracted from the realism a bit. Take the battle of Hoth from the OT for example, the animation of the AT-AT's isnt exactly smooth but it just feels more real than a lot of stuff in the PT because you actually have something physical to look at.
    Still a great film though. :)

22. Opinionisnotfact

Opinionisnotfact Jedi Youngling

Sep 18, 2005
    If we are talking relatively, How about looking at overall cinema attendance which is at an all time low and that there are special offers like orange wednesdays (2 for 1) which all lower box office and not 5 weeks after its release when it was still going strong bombs start going off in london which drops cinema attendance and ROTS is still #1 film of the year.
    Plus a few people who have been put off from seeing it in the cinema are going to be buying it on DVD, besides do you want to watch a film in peace or have some chav talking into a mobile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.