main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why did the Jedi just accept the clone army?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Mace Windu's Cousin, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Mace Windu's Cousin

Mace Windu's Cousin Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2015

So a clone army, created by Dooku the guy leading the separatist and part of Sith (your mortal enemy) and know one thought to investigate or do thorough test on these clones or why your enemy would give you free soldiers?

V-2, 11-4D and Jester J Binks like this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Up until TCW, it was a case of "we need to win this and they are here to help us despite the fact that we didn't approve." I never got the impression in AOTC or ROTS that anyone knew that Dooku was behind the army. Yes, Padme said it, and maybe they could have made the connection between Jango being the template and Jango working for the Separatists, but to me they didn't look so monumentally stupid until TCW revealed that the Kaminoans told them that Dooku ordered it.

So maybe the answer now is...you're right, but their looking stupid was intentional?

3. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Because that's the way George wanted to tell his story.

Regardless of any reasonable suspicions that the Jedi, of all people, should have had and investigated (and not in a spin off).

TX-20 and The Supreme Chancellor like this.
  4. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Because the Seperatists were about to attack, so unless the Jedi had another bright idea, they kind of had no options.

5. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Not to mention, Saddam Hussein defied the Republic Resolutions. They had already invaded another "nation" a decade earlier, put out a failed assassination hit on Padme H.W. Bush and now were building droids of mass destruction. Jar W. Bush asked the Senate for Emergency Powers. Time for some pre-emptive shock and awe. How could the coalition have known that the drones would be used against them?

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
  7. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    It's not like Coruscant is immediately threatened or anything. The Jedi seem to be having a rather leisurely confab about the turn of events. Their only expressed opinion about the clones is "Lucky we had those clones that we didn't ask for like the Kaminoans said."

How long would it take to analyse one of those clone and find something that they can't explain to at least make them at least super vigilant about handling them? Or to have at least tried and been thwarted.

I guess this kind of negligence it's consistent with the Jedi coming across a weapon like the "Sith destroyer" chosen one, Anakin, and not handling it diligently enough until it goes off in their faces.

Even politicians in committee hearings about defective equipment being given to soldiers don't have the gall to excuse themselves by saying

- "There was a war on. We didn't have time for the necessary checks and balances on illegitimately acquired material, like you would expect. We just had to trust that the stuff we found lying around must be fine until they failed catastrophically in combat."

- "Oh yes. I forgot there was a war breaking out and equipment of whatever quality and condition we could get our hands on was all we were after. You're quite right. There was no reason to expect you to do your job, minister. "

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    In times of war only 1 thing matters: survival. Britain similarly spent every last bit of their gold reserve in WW2 because if they took their time to think it out and do a few studies investigating the impact, they would be speaking German.

At this point the Jedi knew 3 things:

A. The CIS had an army large enough to successfully invade the Republic;

B. they were led by a man who was at best a fallen Jedi and at worst a Sith Lord, and;

C. the only thing standing between them and death/submission to the CIS was the clone army.

theraphos, Lulu Mars and zaphod67 like this.
  9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The Chancellor authorized the Clonetroopers deployment, based on intel from Obi-wan that the Separatists were creating a large Droid Army with the intention of attacking the Republic. After that attack has been routed at Geonosis, there was time for Mace and Yoda to talk with Obi-wan. The rest of the Council was absent, suggesting they were deploying Jedi.

Why would they analyze the Clonetroopers? Why would they think that they would betray them? There's no proof that Sifo-Dyas didn't operate on his own to create the Clone Army. Jango can work for two different employers, a decade apart. Tyranus could be anywhere and anyone. Finding him is like finding a needle in a hay stack.

theraphos and zaphod67 like this.
  10. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    I don't know. Why would you inspect a weapon you found lying around that you now expect to protect you? Why wouldn't you assume it's fine until it kills you?

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    True - but Jango isn't last seen on Kamino a decade before being seen working for Dooku - he's last seen on Kamino a couple of days before being seen working for Dooku.

Indeed, from Obi-Wan's testimony ("I'm not signing that treaty until I have her head on my desk")- there's reason to believe he was part of the assassination team sent to kill Padme by Dooku (he assassinated the assassin, to protect the secret) - and then went to Kamino afterwards. So he was on Kamino, at the same time as he was in Dooku's service.

12. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Well, to use a parallel from Earth history, the U.S. command structure didn't care about any possible aftereffects of using the A-Bomb. They just wanted it to work, and they needed it ASAP.

13. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    They had no defense against the droids when the GEONOSIS attack occurred, and after they won there -- they realized how much trouble they were in. Why not use a clone army in a time of war ? Everything was prepared and I assume everyone believed SyfoDias made the order

14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Why would you assume that the army will kill you? Why would you assume that one of your own will betray you? Not to mention that even if they did a bio scan, they wouldn't find the bio chips. And even if you don't want to accept TCW, there's still nothing that would indicate that they'd betray the Jedi even through bio scanning.

Which is still nothing. It just means that he accepted another job while on the first job. Just like he would have accepted any job for the Hutts, or a Republic senator who was corrupt, or for Hondo, or any number of people, while still donating his DNA for fresh batches of clones. That doesn't mean that Dooku was involved in the creation of the Clone Army and thus the Jedi should be suspicious of that.

15. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    If your army fails, you're dead. It doesn't need to literally, directly kill you.

Easy money.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They accepted it because Palpy has +100 persuasion.

17. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Is that in the movie? ;)

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    You do know that Yoda went to Geonosis and inspected the Clone Army, before departing for Geonosis?

19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The Jedi didn't saw Attack of the Clones. You're basically questioning why they don't know what you know.

And the army is of the Republic. It's the Republic that allowed its use. As far as they know, Sifo-Dyas ordered it. And they were investigating the creation of the army until war broke. As revealed in TCW, only near the end of the war do they discover that the Sith were behind it. And their reasoning to continue to fight alongside the clones is explained in the very same episode.

20. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    That does not address the point you quoted.

V-2 likes this.
  21. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Yoda inspected nothing in the time it took to collect and mobilise that army to Geonosis. You're living in your own fantasy if you are trying to play that card at this late stage.

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I imagine it as Yoda talking to the Kaminoans, and them showing a holo-recording of Sifo-Dyas's first contact with them, and thus Yoda's suspicions being temporarily allayed.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    I can imagine quite a bit.

I didn't pay good money to imagine that the mystery that took half a movie to set up was solved within seconds offscreen and to Yoda's satisfaction without any further reference to if and how he carried out due diligence.

Doompup likes this.
  24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    "Who is Tyranus" is still a mystery though (solved in TCW Season 6).

25. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Maybe the Kaminoans gave Yoda the old secret Jedi handshake and password.

Dread Pirate Roberts likes this.