main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why did they "wussify" Brock Samson?!?!?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Raph1613, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raph1613

Raph1613 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2004
    I hope this is the right Forum for this one...

Okay, so I've been anxiously awaiting the new Venture Brothers cartoons on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim.

For the longest time, I was trying to figure out how in the world they could possibly continue after last season's deaths of Dean and Hank.

Thankfully, they pulled it all together, and I laughed till it hurt.

Until I realized that Brock got totally spanked this weekend.

Last season, he was the unstoppable embodiment of painful, brutal, wet & yucky death. And that's how we all liked him.

This time, he gets shot. Probably by a 9mm. And it knocks him down AND out! Last season, that gunman would have immediately learned what his gun tasted like after it had finished travelling the LONG way around... if you know what I mean... IN through the OUT door.....

Then, at the end, Phantom Limb shoots him with ONE MEASLY LITTLE DART to the neck and he drops!! What the--*?!

Last season, we SAW what he did to the Monarch's guys AFTER he got shot with a ****load of darts! Even after he "died" he still strangled that one henchman. And, of course, he recoverred and went straight for a bottle of Tequilla.

The show is still hilarious. Fantastic. But seriously, did some bored Moms'-activist group get to them or something. What? Brock was too much so they made them mellow him out?

:confused:

2. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    From what I know of the show, I think this thread is better suited for the YJCC.

3. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    This forum seems to be fine for this imo.

4. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I don't know. I think you could easily call it SF/Fantasy. Its a bit Superhero-ish, a lot 30s-ish pulp, and more then a bit Johny Quest.

I take from your "from what I know comment" that you haven't seen it. I highly recomend picking up the first Season on DVD (or netflix-ing it), its an absolutely great show.

I don't know about "wussifying" Brock though. I think its more of a gradual meloing out that any character like that is going to go through. Next one will tell. Its got his on again/off again "girlfriend" so we'll see how it goes with her this time.

5. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Well yeah, I haven't really seen it, other than brief glimpses of it while channel surfing. So I had no idea what the genre was. But anyways, the majority of the Adult Swim lineup just doesn't appeal to me very much. Not my kind of humor.

6. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Well if you get a chance check this one out.

Its not really your average AS show.

An excellent primer would be "Ice Station - Impossible". Definatly one of my favorite episodes. It features some warped versions of the Fantastic Four. Didn't you ever think it would kind of hurt to have your body burst into flames. Apparently it does. A lot.

7. Raph1613

Jan 15, 2004
    I do have hope that last Sunday's episode was a fluke, or just bad writing in order to enable the Monarch to get a hold of Dr. Venture, etc.

Still, last season he pulled the arm off a bionic man, beat two pirates to death with his ass, demolished a target range with his knife, shaved bigfoot bald (with that same knife), and ran a death-dealing robot over with his car. And what about that demolition derby he did in the Monarch's Cocoon? That's the first time I've ever seen anyone use their windshield wipers to remove blood so that they could get more blood on the windshield.

Brock Samson does not need to be mellowed. Aside from being quite kill-crazy, he's actually quite nurturing. Look how he is with the boys:
    Hank: "Brock, if you have to kill me, how would you do it?"
    Brock: "I'd break your neck in your sleep. You'd never feel a thing."
    Hank: "You've thought about this a lot, haven't you?"
    Brock: "Yes. Yes I have."
    It's great the way he looks out for them like that.

8. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    the venture brothers rocks! i have all three so far dvred. i think brock getting shot was a plot device to bring him into the circle of dr. girlfriend.
    btw, will we ever find out who the boys mom is???

9. weezer

May 16, 2001
    You mean the original boys :p

Are there even orginal boys?

10. RedHanded_Jill

Nov 16, 2004
    do ya think they are clones? it would be like dr. v to clone himself or better have a surrogate because everybody was doing it then gettin stuck with them.

11. Raph1613

Jan 15, 2004
    Yikes!

I never thought of that...

And you're both right about those little discrepencies...

Who would even be willing to have Dr. Venture's kids???

They are clones. They've said as much. But who's clones? Were the "originals" clones as well??

Now I'm really looking forward to the next episodes. Not just because I'm hoping Brock doesn't stay "wussified", but to see what else they come up with.

This show rocks!

12. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Alright, you were right, wussified.

13. RedHanded_Jill

Nov 16, 2004
    my youngest son, sam, has the most infectious laugh, which came in handy last night. so did mo break dean's cherry last night, or what? and the sex change? in that half hour there is more funny unnerving twisting tv than you will find anywhere.

14. Raph1613

Jan 15, 2004
    Honestly, I am having my doubts about how wussed out Brock has become.

Fortunately, the show is still funny. And the way Brock responded to all the Spy-Gear was priceless.

I think one of the main things that I love about this show is what they DON'T actually say. Maybe she did, and maybe she didn't. They leave so much of it completely up in the air and leave you wonderring. And wanting more. I almost died with the whole Indian Burial Ground thing. Orpheus was great. As usual.

The sex change made most of it worth it. "No women, no kids." Despite being wussified, Brock was so scary to this guy that he felt that the only way he could be safe from him was to become a woman! And this was the guy who made him what he is/was. Nice!

I guess the jury is still out.....

I'd love to know the story behind the whole "Manaconda" incident!!!

15. weezer

May 16, 2001
    No doubt about that.
    The Indian Burial Ground was great. Random yet completely in keeping with the show.

I have no idea what you are talking about with Mo and Dean though. Must of missed that. Nice little touch of the incredibles in there as well.

Think I found my new wallpaper on AS.com.
    [image=http://i.adultswim.com/adultswim/downloads/tools/img/wallpaper/venturebros/ALLTHEWAY_1024.jpg]

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Since this is kind of our VB thread... (should we retitle it?)

Last night's episode was awesome!

IGNORE ME!!! [face_laugh]

Loved the Contact parody at the end too.

"I thought I was done with these crappy dreams."
    "THAT WAS A WEIRD ONE!"
    "Great, you can read my thoughts too?"
    "IGNORE ME!!!..........BUT YES, I CAN."

17. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I loved the Johny Quest reference.

They've done them several times but they always work so well.

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    yeah (though the AICN article title ruined that surprise for me)- gotta wonder what JJ did that made him all pouty afterwards.

19. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    Brock was not assualted with guns on the first season. And Phantom limb's weapons are far superior to that of the monarch's henchmen. I think you're overestimating brock.
    He rocks, yes. But he can be injured. He's not superman. Even James Bond has been injured on the job before. Remember world is not enough? He broke his arm, iirc. Regardless, when PL and Brock storm the coccoon, he sure doesn't act wussy. Remember when he shoves that guy's fingers up the guys own...well it wasn't shown, but, badasssery.

20. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Yeah he was. Dart guns, but the point remains. It is a bit different then then it is now.

21. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    I meant bullet propelling firearms. The darts weren't exactly fatal even to the boys, iirc. They were meant to knock you out. Brock, being much larger and more resilient, burned through the sedatives easily. The darts weren't designed to tear through bone and tissue, but merely to poke and deliver the sedative.

22. RedHanded_Jill

Nov 16, 2004
    i believe brock is immortal. none of your silly words will make me think otherwise. you are blasphamizing. or you can

IGNORE ME!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.