main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why did Yoda stay on Dagobah when Luke went to Cloud City?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Kez-Iban, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    His duels with Dooku and Sidious were only 20-odd years before though, which to someone who's 900 isn't all that much. I find it strange how he suddenly becomes incredibly weak within a tiny fraction of his life.

Ahsoka_Tano_11 likes this.
  2. FARK2005

FARK2005 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    It’s not uncommon for old people to suddenly decline very fast. My grandmother went from being mostly self-sufficient to require almost constant care in the last months of her life.

Also, if you consider how Yoda had spent those 20 years it is no wonder he began to feel his age: he lived in an isolated swamp on a planet with dark side energies, his only intelligent company being the occasional visit from Qui-Gon’s ghost. With nothing to do but to wait for Luke to show up, he had plenty of time to dwell on his failure to destroy the Sith, his regret at the destruction of the Jedi Order (and the subsequent loss of those he cared for) and the Republic. Mentally and physically that is not a healthy way of living.

ILNP and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  3. Skelter

Skelter Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I think Yoda's lightsaber dueling days where over. I think he was already sick when Luke arrived for his training. I mean, It didn't take to long between movies. By the ROTJ, Yoda can barely talk..

4. AkshayTheJedi

AkshayTheJedi Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 12, 2013
    Because he had to survive in order to train 'The Other' in case something happened to Luke. Also, he was over 800 years old I think he knew he was no match for Vader in that age.

5. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    What was he going to do; sit on Luke's lap?

minnishe and Ahsoka_Tano_11 like this.
  6. Ahsoka_Tano_11

Ahsoka_Tano_11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 30, 2013
    Where else could he go!?

7. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 6, 2013
    Yoda stayed on Dagobah because he was having a new washing machine delivered and had to be in between 9am and 4pm to have it installed...

Artoo Detoo and Ahsoka_Tano_11 like this.
  8. Artoo Detoo

Artoo Detoo Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2013
    Going into a bit of further details.......

If Yoda faced Vader, it really wouldn't have been pretty. Those memories would've flooded Vader's mind like a typhoon.
    Vader would've probably killed Yoda in one hit.
    Luke would've gone into full basket case mode and would've been bawling all over the place; "first my aunt and uncle, then Obi-Wan, now Yoda?! WHY?!?!?!?!" You get the picture.
    Luke wouldn't have been able to stand up to Vader, and would've probably either fallen to the dark side or died at Vader's hand.
    So, in retrospect, it's a really good thing that Yoda stayed on Dagobah.

9. Darth Liberatus

Darth Liberatus Jedi Padawan star 1

May 13, 2013
    Maybe Yoda sensed that Luke would turn Vader back to the light side. He was so insistent that Luke must face Vader alone, and that Luke must face Vader before being a true Jedi. Why? Sure, Jedi trials, but surely there would have been other options for Luke's trials, and it's not worth risking the life of one of the few remaining Jedi and the success of the rebellion just for the sake of a trial. However, it is strange that Yoda and/or Obi-Wan (along with other surviving Jedi) didn't hunt down Vader shortly after ROTS. Take out Vader and there's only Sidious left, and if Yoda alone was able to stand his ground against Sidious for a while, I think that Yoda, Obi-Wan, and a bunch of other Jedi together could have taken him on, as long as it had happened shortly after ROTS before they got too old.

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    No one except Luke thought Vader could be redeemed and that was after ESB. What was Yoda's quote? "Once you start down the path to theDark Side, forever will it dominate your destiny." He did not believe Vader could be redeemed and neither did Obi-Wan.

11. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    I dunno why Yoda, Obi-Wan, and any other remaining Jedi just hung it up after ROTS. Even if it were just Yoda and Obi-Wan remaining, you only have two Sith lords to destroy and one of them is now in a mechanical suit. Never really understood that.

12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the books, several Jedi do attempt to kill Vader- and die trying.

13. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    Thanks. I haven't read much EU.

14. Darth Liberatus

Darth Liberatus Jedi Padawan star 1

May 13, 2013
    Valid point, but maybe he sensed it in a more indirect way. He could have sensed that Luke was destined to face Vader alone, with the reason being that Luke would turn Vader to the light side, but without being aware of that reason.

15. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Master Jedi Macen Arren Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 2013
    Not really much point. This was about Luke, Plus it would have drawn a lot of interest from the Emperor which would not have been a good idea.