main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why didn't Lucas use Ralph McQuarrie for the PT?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by greediwasamushroom, Dec 13, 2018.

1. greediwasamushroom

greediwasamushroom Jedi Youngling

Dec 12, 2018
    Why didn't Lucas use Ralph McQuarrie for the PT?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Pulled straight from his wikipidia page

Rick McCallum offered McQuarrie a role as designer for the Star Wars prequel trilogy, but he rejected the offer, noting he had "run out of steam" and Industrial Light & Magic animator Doug Chiang was appointed instead.

3. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    He was retired and didn't want to be part of some massive multi-year commitment which even TPM alone was.

4. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    and really they did use mcquarrie and still do. all of his unused material continues to be used.

5. greediwasamushroom

Dec 12, 2018
    Aha! Totally missed that. That's a short thread, then! :cool:

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I suspect there was an additional reason; if you watch interviews with him from the time, you can see tremors indicative of Parkinson's disease.

TK-421 Is vader likes this.
  7. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Yeah, he was shaking quite a bit in his interviews around the time of the Prequels. Regardless, I know it's heresy, but Chiang was probably better in the overall. The Prequel conceptual art books are definitely more detailed than the OT.

8. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    He felt like he was running out of steam even as far back as ROTJ, and comparatively little of his material made it into that film.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  9. Matty20172018

Matty20172018 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 20, 2017
    McQuarrie made his mark with the Original Star Wars. He basically set the standard from right there and influenced the look of everything we saw in the five films that came after.

whostheBossk likes this.
  10. greediwasamushroom

Dec 12, 2018
    Did not know this. Does that mean that other artists where used for ROTJ? Who where they?

11. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Principally, Joe Johnston and Nilo Rodis-Jamero.

12. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I heard a rumor that he left the production of Return of the Jedi over disagreements. Though the official story is more in line with refusal to work on the prequels, he felt he was running out of ideas and that he was rehashing everything. It was the natural progression of the universe becoming more defined with each successive film.
    Though I do think he would have been a huge asset to the prequels, since a lot of the design was rooted in being different from the original trilogy and creating a different universe. Nevertheless, his work remains the standard for designers and his ideas are still being used. McQuarrie will always be part of Star Wars.

whostheBossk likes this.
  13. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    The design and ideas of Lucas, McQuarrie and the rest are being used TOO literally in the Disney era. If set in the actual past of those eras that is understandable but not if they are set in a future date past that.

The bizarre thing is that the movies set in that past, Rogue One and Solo, have more new design than the ones set in the future 30 years after that!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  14. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Honestly, I didn't even notice his abscencse. Great work on the OT, but no one person is necessary for telling the saga stories (GL being the sole exception, with John Williams as an honorable mention).

It kinda bothers me the Star Wars Twitter does "McQuarrie Mondays." Where was GL's day of the week? Or John Williams's?

15. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    I feel like Chiang did a phenomenal job of replicating McQuarrie's style while bringing a refreshing and gleaming look to the prequel era. The Art of Episode I is one of my favorite reference books.

16. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    I think the idea is that the general public is already amply aware of Lucas's and Williams's contributions, but may not be as familiar with McQuarrie's.

17. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    I think McQarries influences went from Ep VI straight to Ep I without his direct involvment. When you look at the Art of Ep I - III books you can see how McQuarries Concepts and designs were developed further for the era set before Ep IV.

And its no secret that Filoni and Lucas went heavy on concept arts from McQuarrie for lots and lots of TCW episodes. Best example is the Coruscant market place where Satin and Obi-Wan meet in secret.

Rebels was even more influenced by his stuff, looking at how they even went as far as designing the characters after the McQuarrie drawing style.

18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    And the ships. Especially the ships.

whostheBossk and KyleKartan like this.