main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why Didn't Vader Begin To "Deform" Like Palpatine?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Darth_Fruit_Fly, Jun 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JedimasterMoon

JedimasterMoon Jedi Padawan star 4

May 4, 2005
    That's funny:)

2. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    I'm just gonna have to go with Palpatine was older than vader (but again not ancient) and used the darkside far more. He was always meditating on it (read the novel of ROTJ, when vader comes in to see him about Luke being on Endor, thats what hes been doing for a while) Also, if you accept the EU dark Empire clone theory, than each clone of his would have ooked older and would have been more corrupted by the darkside

3. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Uh, Vader did deform. Obi-wan cut off his left arm and both of his legs.Then Vader was set on fire. If that's not deformed, I don't know what is.

4. Iblis

Iblis Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2005
    The suit works as a conservative? [preservative, the non political meaning of the word]

5. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Didn t his eyes go yellow or was it just happening in my imagination? [face_thinking]

6. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    Uh, yeah, he did deform because of his affiliation with the darkside. He lost two legs, an arm, his flesh got burned off his bones. I'd say that's deformity if there ever had been deformity.

7. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Yes they did. It was scary. It made me cry.

8. Anagorn

Anagorn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 3, 2003
    It could be that Vader ages with a double rate
    due to his condition after the duel and
    the new machine he has become.

9. Darth_Turkey

Darth_Turkey Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2004
    A friend of mine reads all the EU books and told me that the darkside corrodes and physically eats away at a person the more they use it and become engulfed by it. I think thats why palps teeth continue to change throughout ROTS. His teeth would'nt go all pointy and evil because of lightning, it's his true form that becomes more and more unmasked by the end of the film. After mace's death the teeth aint too bad, by the Yoda duel when he cackles their all pointy and sharp like an animal.

Vader has'nt been on the darkside as long as palps which is why he still resembles a man. But he has clearly decayed badly when the mask comes off. If he'd continued living for maybe another 50 years i think he's face would resemble palps more. They do have the same skin and eyes though, pale and yellow.

10. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Yet his teeth are all shiny and white... :D:p [face_laugh]

11. josecam100

josecam100 Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2005
    I think one has to ask "how old is Sidious?", as we all know old age does strange things to all our bodies,ie liver spots, hair loss, sunken eyes, artheritic digits and limbs etc etc etc..... Add to that the fact that he has been steeped in the ways of the dark side for lord knows how long, and you start to see a picture build up. Vader by the end of part six is by no means as old as Sidious, and we know by the fact that Vader is his apprentice that he can not possibly have been affected by the dark side for as long.

I also dont think that his fight with Mace Windu had any positive affects on his complexion!!!!!!!

We should also bear in mind that Vader has spent a very large portion of his life encased in an airtight sealed suit, which should actually have a positive affect on his complexion, if not very condusive to getting a tan.

12. SAND-CRAWLER

SAND-CRAWLER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    I guess I'm not in the majority. There is equal evidence on both sides of the arguement of "Deformed vs True Face". I don't care what the majority thinks because there is proof that states otherwise. From all the evidence, the conclusion I've reached is that Palpatine's face is NOT deformed by Mace, NOR is it his true appearance. According to one of the quotes from LFL, Palpatine deforms HIMSELF by using MASSIVE amounts of the darkside powers to try and keep Mace's saber away with lightning. It's not the lightning that deforms him, it's the fact that he's using his darkside powers to the MAX and Mace pushes it back on him. In effect, the darkside begins feeding off itself and it perminantly deforms Palpatine's appearance. Sidious's zombie like appearance is a physical manifestation of what a person would look like if they were forced to use the GREATEST amount of the darkside possible without killing themselves(hence all the "Mask" metaphors) because Palpatine had to use ALL of power of the darkside to keep Mace from killing him and it wrecked his appearance.

The reason why Vader never deformed like Palpatine was because he never stretched his powers to the max so that the darkside was actually feeding off of itself and killing him like it did to Sidious.

13. CIDLORD

CIDLORD Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 6, 2001

Maybe it's because Vader it's not so consumed by the dark side as Sidious is. After all, he returned from the dark side.

Anyway, I didn't like that Vader's eyes change constantly. It reminds me a lot Bill Bixby's in "The Incredible Hulk" when he turns into the monster. In the TV series it worked perfectly, but with Anakin it seemed kinda childlish.

14. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
    The guy fell in lava, what more disfiguring do you want.

Sid was only disfigured because of FORCE LIGHTNING! I thought this was covered way back in April?

Good Stuff

15. TellYouIWill

TellYouIWill Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2005
    Crawler: No, there is NOT equal evidence on both sides of the argument. There is evidence on the "non-deformed" side, and a lot of assumption on the "deformed" side. Look at the GL quote on the first page of this thread.

16. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Well, but the eyes changed all by themselves. Obi-Wan was a pit pushy with the other changes.

17. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Why did it make you cry? It is a cool picture, especially on a frigde!

18. Lynch69

Lynch69 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2005
    I think I'd rather the lightning made him look like that as oppossed to that's just what he really looks like.

19. neutralsideforce

neutralsideforce Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 2005
    DeFoRm is a point of view...Darth Vader got burned.

20. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Crawler: No, there is NOT equal evidence on both sides of the argument. There is evidence on the "non-deformed" side, and a lot of assumption on the "deformed" side. Look at the GL quote on the first page of this thread.

Its NOT a GL quote.

"Because the real Palpatine is the one who bursts forth at a calculated moment in Episode III just after persuading Anakin to kill Mace Windu. That is when the true person comes out, letting the evil fully manifest itself. The Emperor that you see in the last film looks like he does because he's very old and very evil- it is what he always looked like. He just had this carapace of looking like a fairly ordinary guy, a politician that smiled a bit, and so on. I don't think George had made up his mind when we started shooting whether to continually show Lord Sidious as he really is after his initial transformation or if Sidious would go back and forth with his appearance...the nice guy that you saw was revealed later in the monstrous mask as the self, the Sith self." Later he says that, "in Episode 3, it's more like Hyde in the guise of Jekyll".

--Ian McDiarmid, Star Wars Insider #82.

A lot of this quote directly contradicts what Rick Mc has said, ie that he was deformed by lightning and that Palps is not ancient.

21. DARTHJOSEPH

DARTHJOSEPH Jedi Youngling star 2

May 11, 2005
    I'm definately NOT part of this majority either. I've seen and read NOTHING to show that Palps appearance after the Mace fight is his ture form comming out! I've watched it many times, read all these threads and am CERTAIN...that Lucas purposely left it open to interpretation. I got fed up with topic in other threads and will not re-write my arguements.
    The ONLY physical change a Sith goes through as shown in the movies is...the yellowing of the eyes which like..Sidious and Maul...Anakin does also! General Consensus' are wrong all the time! Remember only a Sith deals in absolutes...there are still discussions to be had. Also having Mace cause the "evil" look of Palps further agrees with Lucas's "point of view" lesson to these films. Before the prequels...Palpatine looked twisted and evil, we didn't know why and now if you look at it as he was wounded/injured by a Jedi...that just further adds to the "point of view" theme. The "real form" theory adds nothing and gives no new insight. 25 years ago we thought he looked evil because he was in fact evil. And this "real form theory" doesn't change anything! Good and Bad are points of view...Palps says it in ROTS...Obi Wan says it in ROTJ...Palps disfigurement is a point of view! If you think about it, Mace injuring Palps is THE BEST theory and furthers the Star Wars Mythos where as the "real form theory" seems like a cop out to appease the Palps is evil people! Its all prespective.

22. Darth_Plissken

Darth_Plissken Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2005
    Perhaps Yoda was 900 years old because he was so strong with the good side of the force. Maybe Sidious is that strong with the dark side to keep him alive for so very long. Perhaps Sidious and Yoda had faced off in the beginning days of the Republic when the Sith became extinct. Thus the line, "I've been waiting a LONG time for this moment, my little green friend. Yes, 900 years old is a long time to grow decrepid and old looking. Anakin was only 40-45 yrs. old in the OT. Let the flames commence.

23. Darth_Fruit_Fly

Darth_Fruit_Fly Jedi Youngling star 4

May 16, 2005
    If the lightning was what caused the change in Palps appearance, then why would Ian make such an "absolute" statement to the contrary in SW insider? He would have never said those things if GL himself didn't give him the green light first. So unless someone can dig up some other "official" statements that say otherwise, Palps being ancient is Canon as far as I'm concerned.

24. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    And the line "only a sith deals in absolutes" makes no sense, didnt Yoda himself say that "Anger fear agrresion" led to the darkside, and that once tyou start down the darkside path, FOREVER will it dominate your destiny" Jedi deal in absolutes too

25. Darth_Plissken

Darth_Plissken Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2005
    Plus, after seeing the film enough times, I can make out Sidios' skin bubbling and such when Mace is reflecting his force lightning, suggesting that he really is being electrocuted by himself, but only mildly. I really think that Sidious was actually willing to sacrifice his debonair looks for a shot at the Emperor seat. His age, which I still believe is as old as Yoda's has nothing to do with his malformation. I think he did this to himself to prompt Anakin to act.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.