main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why do you like fan fiction?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Jaya Solo, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Why were you attracted to fan fiction? (Not just writing but also reading.) I enjoy fanfics because you can explore different possibilitys/what ifs. You get to see different veiwpoints of writers about certain characters and explore more deeply.

How did you get started reading or writing fan fiction? And where did this interest begin? (As in this forum or another or by reading someone?s fiction that was up on a website?)

Mm. this is kindof a tricky one for me. When i was younger i used to write small short stories. a few times i tried writing longer stories but failed, never getting very far. Also i used to play star wars with my brother with his star war figures and also play with legos. After a few years it became boring because it just seemed so constraining. so once again i took writing back up and began to write fics where i can go farther without limitations.

If you are a writer:

Why do you write? It is fun to explore different ideas by writing plus i hope that by writing fics i may do better on essays and reports.

Do you post your stories on other forums, and if you do, is there any difference in the responses to your story? If you mean on other sites? not at the moment i used to have fics on one website but i stopped posting there.

Why do you post your stories to the Jedi Council Boards? Its easy and I feel comfortable here. I'm afraid of showing my work to my family and so that's another reason why i post here.

Have your fans, or critiques, helped you write better stories? My beta has been very helpful with my current story 'The Rising Tempest.' I know without her support i may be floundering about by now.

For readers:

Have you given an author feedback that they followed? None that i remember.

Why do you read stories on the Jedi Council Boards?

It's better then wasting time using the search engine to look for fics when i could be here reading.

Do you read stories on other forums, and if so, is there any difference between the stories on the JCB and other boards?

Yes, on other boards the difference about the fics is that it just lacks a community atmosphere. When i read here it is nice to read reviews and the authors responses because it makes the story so much more fun to read plus you know your not the only one enjoying it.

2. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Oooh what a great topic for a Paper Jaya :D Can I read it? hehehee. I'd be interested in your conclusions. Alright here we go I'll answer your questions :D

Why were you attracted to fan fiction? (Not just writing but also reading.)

Basically I was attracted to fanfiction because I read fast. I would read faster than books could be printed out. I bought every single one of the Jedi Apprentice books and almost all of the Classic trilogy books too up until NJO and every time there was a new one I'd pick it up and read it and have it done in only a few hours and then I'd be dying for months of suspense waiting until the next one and of course automatically rushing to the bookstore the very day it was supposed to come out. To give myself something else to read during the very long wait between books I started reading fanfiction.

How did you get started reading or writing fan fiction? And where did this interest begin? (As in this forum or another or by reading someone?s fiction that was up on a website?)

I do remember my infatuation with fanfiction started with my infatuation with Qui-Gon Jinn. Before that time I wasn't interested much in fanfiction. But I just couldn't get enough of Qui-Gon. So I started hunting online and browsing around and one day (I forget when exactly) I stumbled across Qui-Gon Online. I was entranced lol. I sat at my computer for hours and hours reading lol. I was in Heaven.

If you are a writer:

Why do you write?

I write because I enjoy it. I was actually planning to write my own original novel but I had virtually no experience in fantasy or science fiction and I had limited writing experience (College english classes was about it). One day a plot bunny bit me. I don't remember how or where. But it bit me. And it bit HARD ( I still have the marks I think ;) )Anyway so I wrote my very first short piece and Elizabeth archived it. Writing Repercussions with Greencat336 has been a tremendously GOOD writing exercise for me. It's gotten me to think outside of my normal realms of thinking especially when I have to formulate what my villian in the story is thinking. Stretches the brain a bit ;)

Do you post your stories on other forums, and if you do, is there any difference in the responses to your story? Nope. I don't post anywhere but the Before the Saga forum as far as my stories are concerned. I do have things archived at other sites though. Fanfiction.net being one of them.

Why do you post your stories to the Jedi Council Boards? I love feedback. I love the discussions on the boards. It's rather addicting and I love browsing fics. The talent on these boards is amazing once you can learn your way around ;)

Have your fans, or critiques, helped you write better stories? Yes most definetely. I think everyone improves when someone reviews their story whether it be a good review or a bad one.

For readers:

Have you given an author feedback that they followed? Once lol. Actually I suggested a plot bunny and the girl liked it so much she ran with the story idea lol.

Why do you read stories on the Jedi Council Boards? Pure entertainment :D

Do you read stories on other forums, and if so, is there any difference between the stories on the JCB and other boards? The JC board is discussion friendly. MOst other boards only allow reviews and it makes it harder for the readers/authors to converse.

3. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    Thank you so much! It's awesome that I can get this kind of a response in just two days! :) I'll try to make my paper really good (since other people will be reading it, and not just my professor!) Thank you again!

4. picciami

picciami Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 4, 2003

I was attracted to Fan Fiction because one of my friends wrote some totally awesome Harry Potter fics. I started writing and reading and found out how much fun it is.

Same as above. She wrote novel-length fics, and is an awesome writer.

If you are a writer:

Why do you write?

I like to write because it gives me a way, besides music, to express myself. I enjoy writing fanfiction and normal science fiction to work through problems and entertain others.

Do you post your stories on other forums, and if you do, is there any difference in the responses to your story?

I did post at Fanfiction.net, but people enjoyed going through and reporting that you did something that you didn't do, and the rules were not clear, so many a story ended up being deleted. Here, on the other hand, I get clear and concise responses from people that actually understand what I'm talking about.

Why do you post your stories to the Jedi Council Boards?

I did post at Fanfiction.net, but people enjoyed going through and reporting that you did something that you didn't do, and the rules were not clear, so many a story ended up being deleted. Here, on the other hand, I get clear and concise responses from people that actually understand what I'm talking about, and are also part of a community and sometimes even part of the family.

Have your fans, or critiques, helped you write better stories?

Of course. I do listen to what people tell me, and tend to rewrite something to make it easier to understand because I have a very short attention span. People that have left reviews mention that and that has helped me to notice other flaws in my writing, which I am working to correct.

For readers:

Have you given an author feedback that they followed?

Yes.

The stories are clean and tend to be beta'd by someone, or are at least spell checked. They also tend to follow an actual storyline.

Do you read stories on other forums, and if so, is there any difference between the stories on the JCB and other boards?

The stories here are clean and are family-friendly, unlike other places, where the stories don't have to be rated or leave a warning. The stories are usually spell checked and the good ones follow a storyline and have large groups of followers. People can usually tell which stories are better by how many reviews there are, though there tend to be discrepencies because a story has just gotten started or the author tends to "up" a story enough to make it look as if there are other readers, but at least here, people can leave signed reviews and authors and others can see who exactly is reviewing a story.

5. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999

I'm a fan, a big fan, and there was sooo much room to explore that the profic writers weren't taking advantage of. Plus, most of the profic I've come across wasn't worth paying for, while I'd gladly pay for quite a few of the stories I've come across here.

I've been doing it for ages, ever since I was little, only I didn't know it at first. I'd read something or watch something and make up my own characters to stick in the story, or change the plot a little here and there, and then I'd tell the result to my little sister late at night when we were supposed to be asleep. It wasn't until I hit college and a friend introduced me to tf.n that I realized what I'd been doing for so long. Finding out that others did it too was a vast relief.

If you are a writer:

Why do you write?

Because the words are there, the story is there, and if I don't let them out I'll explode.

Do you post your stories on other forums, and if you do, is there any difference in the responses to your story?

I've posted to fanfiction.net and jedi.net, as well as my own site, but that's it. Fanfiction.net is less immediate, less intimate, and thus less stimulating, as far as responses go. Jedi.net is just a much smaller version of tf.n.

I've got friends here, I've got loyal readers here, and it's a clean, friendly environment.

Oh yeah! This is a great forum for 'honing the craft' as people like to put it. Readers will be just as picky or just as lenient as you ask for, for the most part, and it's always constructive, never mean.

For readers:

Sure, but I'm 99% sure that it's only in the cases where I was betaing for someone.

They're certain to be clean, entertaining, and creative.

Not any more. See above.

6. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000

I loved the idea of being able to continue a story that you've enjoyed from a book or film, or manipulating it to how you'd liked to have seen it turn out to be.

How did you get started reading or writing fan fiction? And where did this interest begin? (As in this forum or another or by reading someone?s fiction that was up on a website?

I was first introduced to Fan Fiction upon reading a Fan Fiction story based on Obi-Wan's life as a young Padawan, which is located at this web site.

If you are a writer:

Why do you write?

It gives me something to do, an outlet for life-stress.

I do post at fanfiction.net and I do see a difference in the responses there compared to here. Over there, I find people to be much more brutal in their responses.

For conversation about writing, feedback, and to share my hobby of writing with others.

A very small amount have. The ones brave enough to tell me what I've done wrong are the ones I've learned the greatest from. Good and bad. They all know who they are, and I have them to thank on how far I've developed as a writer. The ones who did it with some tact, anyway, I'll happily thank. ;)

7. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Thanks everyone! It's really interesting to hear that not much criticism is made on these boards. But I guess that's 'cause we're a nice, friendly community, and that we have enough tact to pm someone to tell them that their story... needs improvement. Thanks for all the help!

8. Calantha

Calantha Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2002
    I would like to read your paper later, as well.

For as long as I can remember, I always made up stories in my head based on books, TV shows and movies. I always wanted to see more of the characters and the worlds. Usually the stories just stayed in my head, for my private amusement, but occasionally I wrote them down. (I do have a story that I dictated to my mom, at three years old, which could be considered a fanfiction on the story Goldilocks and the Three Bears). Actually, I was twelve of thirteen when I finally realized not everyone did this. For me, expanding on other people's stories is as natural as breathing.

I've thought a great deal about why, exactly, I want to hear more about these stories. I really fall in love with the fictional worlds - there is a pattern to what captures my imagination. It almost always has a universe of it's own, like Star Wars, Star Trek, Harry Potter...I think I enjoy the distance from 'real life'. It gives me perpective. I enjoy reading about characters figuring out their problems in worlds that aren't my own.

When I was 11 (seven years ago), my parents got the internet, and I was searching for Star Trek pictures, when I stumbled upon Star Trek stories. Other people were doing the same thing as me!

I've read fanfic in many different fandoms since. I think SW is my favorite though, largely in part because of this board. In the other fandoms I read from archives, and there was far less author/reader interaction.

If you are a writer:

Why do you write?

I'm mostly a reader, but I have written a few stories (just one SW fic). I find writing very difficult (probably due to a lack of practice). However, my mind seems to be a fertile ground for rapidly multiplying plotbunnies. Sometimes they exert so much pressure, that I have to let one of two out. It is more difficult on those occasions not to write.

I had never seen the forum format for fanfiction sites until I came here.
    For other fandoms, I've submitted fics to some of my favorite personal sites that host fanfic. I also post at fanfiction.net.

High standards - the effort put into these fics is apparent. Its a stable, well organized site, instant feedback and friendly, stimulating discussion.

Every bit of encouragement helps - enormously.

For readers:

I don't think so, though I can't be sure.

It's unlimited GFFA! There are so many good writers here, and the place is huge. I don't have to go anywhere else (since I don't read above PG13) Plus, I love reading conversations inbetween story posts.

I read at fanfiction.net, once and awhile. But there's a lot of...badly written stuff there. Outside of SW, I read Harry Potter fanfic at the Sugarquill.

9. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    Good luck with your paper Jaya. I'd be glad to help.

Why do you write? When I write I get into a beautiful flow where the words seem to come from no where and I can get down what I am seeing in my mind. There is definitely beauty in this flow when something I want to say gets down on paper the way I want it. This is not just with fan fiction but it works here, and I love the comraderie of other writers! I feel like we are working magic together.

Do you post your stories on other forums, and if you do, is there any difference in the responses to your story? This is my first time.

Why do you post your stories to the Jedi Council Boards? Its so much fun getting feedback and letting the creativity come out.

Have your fans, or critiques, helped you write better stories? I feel like I'm learning a lot about writing in general from my beta readers and reading other stories. I would say definitely yes. You get to know what works, and what doesn't work.

Have you given an author feedback that they followed? Beta reading is so much fun. You get to see the end product and its great to know you've contributed in a small way.

Why do you read stories on the Jedi Council Boards? You get to know certain characters and it is so much fun following them and the author. I just wouldn't do it if it wasn't so much fun. I've read some great stories here. I print them out and read them on the bus on the way to work. These stories are something I really enjoy. Lots of imagination out there.

Do you read stories on other forums, and if so, is there any difference between the stories on the JCB and other boards? Sorry don't know on this one!

Good luck Jaya

10. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003

Can't say anymore. It began so long ago that I cannot tell anymore.
    I think it had to do with my favourite character - Momaw Nadon - and a kind of "plot bunny" I had in my head, thus driving me into developing my own story, long before I ever got to know that there is already a thing out there that is called "fan-fiction" . ;)

See above. I began in the early 90s or late 80s, I can't remember anymore. My first - quite long - story had to be severely reworked several times, and so it still remains unready and unfinished (apart from unpublished :D ) . I'd had to translate it into English prior to posting it here, and prior to that I would have to rework and finish it another time. That's why I don't post it here; I don't like posting unfinished fragments ;)

Why do you write?

Fun. Also, in the field of Star Wars, a lot of "ground research" has already been done, so I can put my own stories upon good foundations.

Do you post your stories on other forums, and if you do, is there any difference in the responses to your story? Non-Star-Wars stories I usually post in the other two Forums where I'm active in. Apart from that, nothing.

Why do you post your stories to the Jedi Council Boards? Because I don't know any serious German-language story board.

Have your fans, or critiques, helped you write better stories? Beta-readers, yes, apart from that, none.

Have you given an author feedback that they followed? No, because my feedback is normally very general.

Why do you read stories on the Jedi Council Boards? Diversity.

Do you read stories on other forums, and if so, is there any difference between the stories on the JCB and other boards? No.

11. Kazzy

Kazzy Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 17, 2002

I wasn't. The first fanfic I read freaked me out, I completely didn't get it (and no it wasn't all that strange or slash or anything). It was Buffy and I don't think I've read any Buffy-fic since.

Later, once I relaxed and discovered the Pretender fanfic, I liked it because it was fun. There were a whole lot of stories that you could read which were different and more numerous than you could get anywhere else.

Plus I was please to find that I wasn't the only one who made up woerd stories about her favourite characters.

As I said above. Pretender fanfiction archives. Star Wars was a natural progression from exhausting fanfiction in other archives. I like it now because it's going to take me a long, long time to run out of stuff to read.

If you are a writer:

[/b]Why do you write? [/b]
    I have to. I know that may not be exactly the answer you were looking for, but if I couldn't write, I think I'd go crazy. - kayladie

Strangely, the same reason as my beta.

However, that just goes for all writing for me. Fanfiction is for this reason, but also because it's fun.

I also like being able to explore a character on paper. the experience is different from in your head, or in book/movie/tvshow etc.

Yes and yes. I post in a couple of mailing lists, fanfic sites and forums.

The responses here are more and often more indepth.

However, I find the fact that the boards allow for interaction on a fairly instaneous level, relatively speaking. So reviers and writers are more likely to write something that encourages discussion.

Fresh meat? Wider audiences.

Yes. I love getting reviews that tell me what they think. I always take into consideration what a reviewer has said, and some of it I apply to my writing.

For readers:

It was concerning pov consistency and yes, she did try.

That's the onyl one i can think of off the top of my head, and barring beta work.

There's a lot of them and more of a higher quality. I like the attitude here. In some places you'll find certain characters/styles looked down on by most of the group. Here there's a wide range, and people are more willing to accept more charcter interpretations.

A lot of my answer for the above question applies here. Mostly it is the level of quality and the quantity of said quality.

12. -thor-

-thor- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002

Because the books I read sadly dropped my favourite characters into a black hole. FanFiction helps closing this gap for me - not only by reading what others think, but by also giving me a way to do something with my imagination. And it also helps with my english skills :D

Actually it began after watching Episode I in the cinema. I had nothing else to do and went looking for further "entertainment" and landed here. At first it was only a way to kill time, but then I began buying the books and suddenly I was hooked :D

Why do you write?

See above. I happen to be a Wraith fan and I don't particularly like their "sudden" disappearance after "Solo Command". And because I dislike the NJO I need something else than books to read.

No - I only post here.

The atmosphere is somehow "personal". I find it nice and cosy here ;)

Definitely. When I look at the stuff I wrote when starting ... *shudder*

Sometimes, but more through PM's than in the topic. There are one or two people who asked me on my opinion on several aspects and then followed my suggestions.

It's my hobby! New Star Wars books are few and far in between, but with fanfiction there is always something new.

Not forums, but websites. Their stories are quite different, but these sited so not have that PG-13 limit ;)

13. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    If you are a writer:

This is a hard one. I didn't really start to get interested in fanfiction until The Phantom Menace. I guess I like fanfiction because of the idea of an "Alternate Universe". What would happened if this happened, or if these got together? The movies and books are the definition of the star Wars universe and the way things are, but writing fanfiction, there's more to stretch the creative juices.

I had been a long time reader on fanfiction.net, and then one day, I decided to sign up under the pen name "obi's girl" and finally write my first Obidala viggie. I'd like to say I had a following after that first one, but not really. My style then was writing happy/angst
    Obidala viggies with a fluffly feeling.

Why do you write?

When I was younger, writing was a hobby for me. I couldn't draw or paint like my brother, but I loved creating stories early on. Then, I grew up, and I still love writing. I've always considered writings and editing sometimes to be very relaxing. When you write
    fanfiction, there is no fixed format you have to follow. You can be as creative as you want.

I have small forum for my stories at JediGirl.com but I rarely visit there and not too many read. Actually, it's responses. People read, but for some reason, they don't respond. I like it here because I have a quick feedback.

Quick feedback. No, there are other reasons. For Obidala 'shippers, I give them a voice they didn't have before. I like to think I do, and I think of writing fanfiction as good practice for me to strengthen my skills as a writer. It's also a nice community here. And this place is great for experimenting.

Rogue11lovesJag beta'd 'Mended' for me, my first big series on the boards.

For readers:

As an author myself, I let the story write itself. Sometimes I know how it'll end, other times, I have a vague idea. I don't know how the author plans to end a story. I'm not the writer so I tend to stay away from saying stuff like, "Ooh, you should have this and that."

Before coming to the JC Boards, I was a fanfiction.net author, under the pen name 'obi's girl'. Ff.n had been experiencing so many servor problems and it was starting to annoy me and other authors so I started to look for alternatives. But here on the boards (I think
    it's been 3 years for me, last April 1st), there's a wider range of stories. And people are willing to take huge risks putting two characters together (as a 'ship) that wouldn't normally be together in the books or movies.

Besides here? I don't really visit other forums but I do visit other fanfiction archives (Restless, the official Obidala Fanfic Archive), Fate Forbidden, the Sobiwan Archive. Those are the only other two I visit besides here. I visit them because they're more focused on one pairing where as here, there are many pairings. And it helps as a webmisstress of both Obidala and Sabewan fansites, to go to these archives when I feel the need to add fanfiction or poetry to my sites. They're great for that.

~aeryn

14. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000

For starters, it is free. Other reasons is because the fans know what they want to read and will write it themselves if the author's dont. Unlike the authors, we dabble into the What If's, how cool it would be if Luke or Vader did this or that, and many other reasons. Instead of the limited five or six authors that can write Star Wars, we have thousands of authors adding their own imagination and input to this magnificant world giving it a variety which you can not get from a published work. It is these reasons that make reading fan fiction very interesting to read.

I really do not know how I got started into reading fan fiction or writing it, a decade is a very long time to remember. But I am betting that it has to do with the fact that I am a bookworm and I love to read. Writing on the otherhand, came a little later when I became disatisfied with the fact that there was just not enough Vader and Thrawn fan fiction out there. Now there just isn't enough Veers or general Imperial fan fiction out there!

If you are a writer:

Why do you write?

Mostly because there isn't enough Imperial fan fiction out there and so someone has to write it. I also write because it is relaxing and the best way to get those little buggers called Plot Bunnies out of my head. :D

Yeah. I get a lot more responses. Strange eh?

Because this is my home forum and most of my friends are right here to read anything I post.

Not really. I mostly get the usual "I really like this alot" type of responses. Though the replies do help motivate me to write more.

For readers:

Nope.

Next to fanfix.com and fanfiction.net, it is the largest place for stories.

A lot more stories on the JC than the other boards that is for certain. One thing I noticed between the JC and the others is that, the others do not concentrate mostly on Jedi or the Rebellion. There is a large variety of fan fic, but most of them lack in quality and good plots. Or maybe its just because I'm picky?

15. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Thanks everyone!

16. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Up (just in case anyone else still wants to answer the questions.)

17. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Well shoot... I had this entire thing typed out, and then went to post and hit the wrong one.. ate the whole thing. Nuts. If I get around to it, I'll retype it. ;)

18. Lady_WinterCelchu

Lady_WinterCelchu Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Out os interest are you going to post the paper her?
    im sure im not the only one who wants to see it.

19. Vampi_Digitalwytch

Vampi_Digitalwytch Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2004
    I'm definitely interested in reading the paper.

20. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Wow. It's kinda scary that so many people want to read my paper! I... have an outline so far! :D It's due Friday by 5pm (Central US time) so I should have it done before then. I think I'll just pm everyone that wants to read it. How does that sound?

21. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    That sounds great. Be sure to pm me. :)

22. Kazzy

Kazzy Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 17, 2002
    Cool, could I see it too? Please? I'd really be very interested.

I'm quite pleased with myself coz I think I found a way to write about Star Wars and Harry Potter in an essay.

23. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Wow. I'm still having a hard time believing that people want to read my essay! I forgot to mention that when I presented on Monday. (We had to do a power point presentation of "This is what my essay will be about". I talked about how great the Jedi Council was! :D) Yeah, once I get the essay written and completed, I'll pm people with copies! Thanks!

24. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Does anyone else want to read this? I've pm'ed it to everyone that requested that I send it to them. I really have no idea of how I did on the paper, but I made an A in the class! Thanks to everyone that helped me with my paper! (By the way, no one was quoted directly because the paper was getting really long at that point. I basically summarized what everyone said, and most of it backed up the articles and such that I read.) Thanks again to everyone!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.