main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why does Darth Vader stomp on Obi-Wan Kenobi's robes after he kills him?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by tee, Dec 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tee

tee Jedi Youngling

Dec 15, 2008
    This is something that's always bothered me. Seems kind of pointless. It's not like he's hiding under there. Is there a reason for it or should I stop obsessing about it? lol

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I think the point is to emphasize how taken aback Vader is by the fact that Obi-Wan's body vanishes. He's not expecting it (Since it's never happened before in the series), and we're not expecting it. Heck, the first time I saw it I was as confused as Vader.

3. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    I think that a big reason why Vader steps on the robes, apart from his own bewilderment, is to show the viewers that Obi-Wan really did disappear, that there's nothing beneath the robes.

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    He's thinking... "Was Obi-Wan a Croke? Better step all over this thing just to make sure."

5. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Vader didn't expect Obi-Wan to be able to disappear right after dying, so we see him stepping on the robe to reinforce the point that the body is not there.

6. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Welcome to TF.N! :D

Basically, it's what everyone else has been saying. Vader didn't expect that Ben was just going to disappear like that, so because he was basically confused and bewildered he stepped on the robes to see if Ben was there or not. From the perspective of the filmmaker, though, it was also to confirm to the audience that Ben was not there anymore.

7. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    With a mask it's hard to see facial expression. This was to emphasize Vader basically saying "What the hell?".

Also, it's just kinda gangster to do. He killed Obi Wan, so he's gonna stomp his muddy boots all over his robes.

8. miDnIghtEr20C

miDnIghtEr20C Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 21, 1999
    i agree with this.

9. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    He didn't stomp on them, he tapped them with his foot to allow his reality to account for what his eyes were showing him. It wasn't meant to be a sign of disrespect or anger, in my judgment. It was just to show us that Obi-Wan disappeared and help express Vader's disbelief.

10. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    Vader was just simply amazed that Ben vanished like that so he stomped on the robes without thinking about it.

11. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    What Vader's doing looks somewhat like he is curious to what just happened, but you can tell he is wary too. It shows that even Jedi/Sith feel some stuff can be strange and spooky to them.

12. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    He's making sure that it isn't a dodgy builder who made the floors not strong enough to stand a lightsaber fight. Hence Obi-Wans look of joy - you can't kill me, I'm standing on a trap door.

More Seriously, I think its just to make sure that Obi-Wan was gone - "your eyes can decieve you, don't trust them"

Or maybe, less likely though, He's checking to see if Obi-Wan did what was in the Ep III Deleted scene, where they face Grievous, and they cut a hole in the floor to escape. A quick cut, unoticed, and ader goes of the kill, Obi-Wan kick the deck, goes through the floor.

13. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    That's actually a good idea. I never thought of that.

14. condav

condav Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2008
    or he could just be extremely paranoid and wants to make sure that obi wan isn't still alive and won't come back.

15. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    Indeed, the paranoia is also a possibility. Anakin was quite paranoid before becoming Vader, so it's possible that such a trait was retained when he turned to the dark side.

16. DarthDiabolous

DarthDiabolous Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 23, 2006
    i think its to show that vader is an evil unsophisticated brute...

*kills him
    "huh? whered he go? whered he go?"
    "this is a bad magic trick, boo"

now picture him saying that like lenny from of mice and men

17. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    Vader could also think it was some kinda force trick he hadn't learnt yet. Which it technically was...

But he probably doesn't have the best sight with the helmet, so he might've just thought he was tripping out.

18. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    "YOUR POTATO SACK WARDROBE SUCKS, BEEHATCH"

19. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    It's basically the Darth Vader way of saying "**** yo robes!"

20. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    Wow, I never thought about that!

21. wako_jacko

wako_jacko Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2009
    Never did get that

22. jedibri

jedibri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2000
    This is one of my favorite subjects. So let's flash back to Epi.III for a second:

Qui-Gon has mastered becoming one with the Force.

Anakin (now Vader) has been gone lost to the Dark side.

Now then Epi. IV Vader strikes Kenobi down. Having no clue that Obi-Wan also knows how to become one with the force Vader is confused and steps on the robe out of disbelife that his disappeared.

That's my take anyway.

23. Serafine_Tinaste

Serafine_Tinaste Jedi Youngling star 3

May 30, 2009
    I completely agree. It makes the most sense anyway.

24. clrobins6r

clrobins6r Jedi Knight

May 15, 2009
    I agree with a lot of people, that it was mostly Vader's shock. Got to remember what Obi said just before he died, "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerfull than you can possibly imagine." So Vader hears his old, crafty master utter these words and then swoosh, Vader takes him out without any defensive moves. Vader's first thought has got to be 'what?' then he's thinking what did he mean by more powerfull?

25. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Vader never saw it happen before. Qui-Gon taught Ben and Yoda how to do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.