main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

PT Why does sidious call him Vader?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Starwarsisover, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Starwarsisover

Starwarsisover Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2017
    Is it because he’s an invader like he’s insidious?

Any ideas always wondered this but presumed it was because he was invading the temple for the sith.

2. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    In-universe answer: Anybody's guess how the Sith dole out their names. It represents a losing/killing of your former self and succumbing to a new identity.

Out-of-Universe answer: It sounds evil and that's pretty much how bad guys are named in SW.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  3. Princess_Tina

Princess_Tina Force Ghost star 6

May 10, 2001
  4. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    OOU-it was setting up the OT.

IU-Sith names, seem to come via communion with the dark side of the force. Vader happened to be the name Sidious gained from his meditations within the dark side of the force.

cratylus likes this.
  5. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I think this is a good theory. Whatever their characteristics are, just remove the "in-" prefix to get their Sith name.

Future Star Wars movies to feature Darth Visible, Darth Sufferable and Darth Continent.

6. Starwarsisover

Starwarsisover Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2017
    Darth Continent is a great shout.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  7. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    At least they’re not incontinent.

Right, the myth of ‘Dark Father’ in Dutch being ‘Darth Vader’. Hmmm. Dark Water.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  8. Mark Pierre

Mark Pierre Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 8, 2016
    Because... THE FORCE DID IT!!!

Sorry, I'll let myself out.
    [face_batting]

9. Jedi_Prophet77

Jedi_Prophet77 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 14, 2017
    I like the simplicity of this idea, actually. 'Darth Vader' does have a better ring to it than the other possibility 'Darth Traitor'.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  10. themoth

themoth Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Makes you wonder if Sidious had the name up for sleeve for a while, or thought it up on the spot. I’ve always felt as if the Dark Side ‘told’ him the name in the moment.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  11. Jedi_Prophet77

Jedi_Prophet77 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 14, 2017
    That's interesting. I can see it both ways.

12. Seagoat

Seagoat PT and Music Section Detective Potato star 6 Staff Member Manager

Jan 25, 2013
    I've always interpreted the scene of him naming Vader as reaching into the Force, or something, especially with the weirdass moaning noises he was making and the echo effect on his voice being some indication of that. And with the potential interpretation from TROS of how Rule of Two actually works being some kind of spirit transfer type thing, I can't help laughing at the idea of dozens of Sith inside Palpatine's mind debating over what to call the next Sith Lord

"Vader! Go with Vader!"
    "No, that's lame, he's more like a Darth Malevolus!"
    "**** off, call him Darth Icky"
    "Oh my Sith, just shut up, all of you, I'm going with that first one"
    (Collective disappointed sighs and one tiny "yay!")

themoth, darkspine10 and Iron_lord like this.
  13. mysterycultist

mysterycultist Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2020
    He was driven to the dark side because he was becoming a father. In the ROTS moment that he vowed loyalty to Sidious, Anakin said he was doing it to save Padme, the mother of his children, from death in childbirth, and Sidious names him Darth Vader. His whole character arc in OT revolves around his children and his son redeeming him. I know there's deeper readings and other contributing factors behind the scenes to the name, but given the final results, I think that ultimately the father-origin rings truest. I guess we just have to cope with the fact that this implies an in-universe existence of proto-German and, by extension, like Latin.

Sith Lord 2015 and Valiowk like this.
  14. Rey Palpatine

Rey Palpatine Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2019
    Yes! I agree that it was invader "Vader" and insidious "Sidious". Maybe it's not such a coincidence that you add "in" to both. In is the new meaning of sith. Ya, they're super popular now. Sith are in! *pun intended*