main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why Doesn't ROTS Vader Say Anything Vaderesque?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Darth_Fruit_Fly, Jun 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Fruit_Fly

Darth_Fruit_Fly Jedi Youngling star 4

May 16, 2005
    With the exception of referring to Palpatine as "Master", and conveying his plans to Padme for overthrowing the Emperor, ROTS Vader doesn't say one solitary slogo that I can recollect, which sounded even remotely like something OT Vader would have said. Lucas had more than ample opportunitys considering the premise of the film, so why no OT Vader lingo? Your thoughts?

2. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Perhaps because he isn't OT Vader, he is an emotionally torn, distressed and destroyed man. He is in ruins, he has lost all stability, and is a mess.

-Seldon
    Edit: IF you want OT Vader, than watch the original trilogy. That isn't what Revenge was about.

3. Alia_Solo_Vos

Alia_Solo_Vos Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2004
    Well the OT takes place some 20 yers after ROTS...maybe he developed his "Vaderesque" persona during that time. *Shrug* I can't really think of anything that he kept saying repeatedly to make it stand out as solely Vader. He forcechoked alot of people...he forcechoked Padme.

4. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I thought many of the lines from RotS, and some even from AotC were very much OT Vader.

Imagine JEJ saying: "This is the end for you Master" ;)

5. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I think "You will try" was kind of Vader-esque and many of the other Anakin quotes fit as Vader.

The guy in the suit didn't have time to intimidate people or make cool quotes, he was too busy physically healing and screaming his heart out in anguish.

That being said...I think "Where is Padme?" might be one of the coolest lines Vader has ever spoken. Definitely my favorite line from the movie.

6. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    Once he bows down to Sidious and is given the name Darth Vader he starts to talk just like the OT Vader that we all know. Just the way he speaks to Sidious during his hologram discussion with him on Mustafar is reminiscent to the OT Vader. At least he sounded that way to me.

7. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    How about "Wait with the ship, R2" or whatever he said. Very direct, very demanding, very curt. Just like Vader.

As was mentioned above, imagine JEJ speaking any of his lines in the last half of the film and they'll sound perfect.

8. simon-the-ewok

simon-the-ewok Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2005
    First off, I think that there were enough lines in ROTS that were from the OT. Plus, Vader had only started being a Sith and he wasn't experienced with the authority that was given to him like in the OT. You can tell that he means buisness in the OT, but in ROTS, he's just starting out.

9. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
    Because Padme hurt his feelings and he's still crying inside.:p

10. Darth_Fruit_Fly

May 16, 2005
    Imagine JEJ saying: "This is the end for you Master"

True. Well what can I say I had to write this in a hurry, so I messed up a little. I meant to title it "Why Doesn't ROTS Vader Say More Things Vaderesque" instead. Oh well, hopefully people will still get it.

11. SpaceFunk

SpaceFunk Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2005
    What I don't get is how Hayden keeps saying "Pad-a-may" while JEJ sez "Pad-mee". Which one is right?

12. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    True, JEJ kind of flubbed the pronunciation. Oh well. They could always fix it for DVD, but I suspect they'll just leave it as is.

13. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Why doesn t ROTS Vader say anything Vaderesque? Because he just has to get used to his new job "man-in-black-galaxy-defender" (from his twisted point of view anyway!). In ROTS his light saber talks for him most of the time.

14. Annina

Annina Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2005
    "Don't make me kill you!"

"You underestimate my power!"

"I am more powerful than the chancellor,I can overthrow him.And then we can rule the galaxy!"

Those and a few others were quite Vaderesque enough for me ;)

15. Darth_Fruit_Fly

May 16, 2005
    Somebody else wrote a thread about Anakin talking smack to Dooku. I would have liked to have seen this. Lucas could of added some really good callous Vaderesque one-liners there...especially taking into consideration how their previous encounter went down.

16. ___Obi-1___

___Obi-1___ Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2004
    Imagine JEJ saying:

"You will try"

:eek:

___Obi-1___

17. Annina

Annina Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2005
    What about the exchange with Grievous :

"Anakin Skywalker.I was expecting someone with your reputation to have been a little older."

"General Grievous.You're shorter than I imagined."

And he had that kind of smug look on his face,clearly pleaced that he managed to upset Grievous.

18. Darth_Fruit_Fly

May 16, 2005
    Don't make me kill you!"

"You underestimate my power!"

"I am more powerful than the chancellor,I can overthrow him.And then we can rule the galaxy!"

Well I've officially written my first botched thread...but at least I'm man enough to admit it. ;) Those lines are all OT Vaderesque, but I will still say I didn't "buy" the manner in which they were delivered. Hayden just didn't sound menacing enough when he said them. If he had deepened his a voice and spoken more slowly, they would have probably connected with me as being more genuinely Vaderesque in nature.

19. Naberrie_SkyWalker

Naberrie_SkyWalker Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 30, 2002
    Annina posted on 6/23/05 4:36pm
    What about the exchange with Grievous :

"Anakin Skywalker.I was expecting someone with your reputation to have been a little older."

"General Grievous.You're shorter than I imagined."

And he had that kind of smug look on his face,clearly pleaced that he managed to upset Grievous.
    [hr][/blockquote]

i loved that line too :)

the most "vader" line imo..

"LIAR"

you can almost hear him snarling "...take her away"

20. YodaOz

YodaOz Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2005
    How about "Wait with the ship, R2" or whatever he said. Very direct, very demanding, very curt. Just like Vader.

Similar to when Luke says, "No, R2. You stay put."

21. v-force

v-force Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    I have to agree with the fact that the OT is 20 years later. In RotS Vader is still 'fresh' in the suit. He is weakened from his lava bath and loss of Padme. He is only coming to grips with the darkness he helped create. By the OT he is the confident, bold Vader we know. He grows into that OT Vader. Right now, he's still a crispy kid.

22. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    Force-Keeper posted on 6/23/05 4:09pm
    Once he bows down to Sidious and is given the name Darth Vader he starts to talk just like the OT Vader that we all know. Just the way he speaks to Sidious during his hologram discussion with him on Mustafar is reminiscent to the OT Vader. At least he sounded that way to me.
    [hr][/blockquote] This is right on. I noticed this while I was watching the scene for the very first time. There's a definite shift toward being more "Vader-esque." Plus, we have to give the boy some time to get the cadence down. Afterall, he wasn't wearing the suit, his breathing was being regulated like it is in the suit, and he's extremely emotional and just learning how to tap into the darkside.

23. Master_Achilles

Master_Achilles Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2005
    When he gets named Vader and talks like the OT Vader he still has Padme and still can take over the galaxy and rule it with her after saving her of course. After the suit he has practically no body, no friends, no wife, and no baby from what he can tell. I don't think I'd be talking like a tough dude right here.

24. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    I know this is pretty random, but was annyone else annoyed when Padme asked Obi-Wan if Anakin was in danger "from the Sith?!" What did she know about the Sith? It seemed like that statement shouldn't have been in there.

25. ___Obi-1___

___Obi-1___ Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2004
    Well, I think as a Senator and former Queen, she know that due to her extense and unique C.V.

:-B

___Obi-1___

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.