main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why Doesn't ROTS Vader Say Anything Vaderesque?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Darth_Fruit_Fly, Jun 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Fruit_Fly

Darth_Fruit_Fly Jedi Youngling star 4

May 16, 2005
    Agreed! The lines from the book when Anakin confronts the Sepratists are Vaderesque with a capital "V". I can't believe Lucas didn't utilize these fantastic one liners in the movie. If Anakin would have delivered those lines verbatim, from the book, OMG that would have been so ******* awesome! But alas he didn't....just shut the doors and hacked away. :rolleyes:

2. halfwits-r-us

halfwits-r-us Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I am so glad those lines were not in the movie. They were some cheezy zingers. The critics would have killed the dialogue even more with those lines. I was convinced by Hayden's portrayal of Anakin/Vader. He was very good.

3. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Yeah, the book lines were definitely not Vader lines. Vader does not make silly puns.

4. Darth_Fruit_Fly

May 16, 2005
    What? Cheesy? You got to be kidding me? Those lines were perfect! They sounded soooo much like something OT Vader would have said. I guess thats why "One Take" Lucas chose not to put them in the movie. They would have added suspense and great dialogue into what turned out to be overall, a pretty lackluster hackfest.

5. halfwits-r-us

Mar 27, 2005
    one take Lucas? ok yeah I forgot that he never does reshoots and only shoots scenes once. Jebus man. "You don't find me handsome" I highly doubt that OT Vader would have said that. What puns does Ot Vader say other than we would be honored if you'd join us.

6. Darth_Fruit_Fly

May 16, 2005
    Vader does not make silly puns

Those lines weren't silly puns. They were cold, callous, and "morbidly" funny...just like OT Vader. Sounded so reminiscent
    of "Apology accepted Captain Needa," in the ESB.

7. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

EXZACTLY!

People are amazing. Now were talking about CHEEZY LINES?? Oh, my, god. Because the "one-liners" arn't in the film, it's good they wern't because they are too cheezy and unVader-like. GIVE ME A BREAK! "Oh, hold me like you did by the Lake on Naboo when there was nothing but our love.."[face_sick]

Those lines were a nice precursor to the type of things Vader would say later on. They wouldn't be as slap-stickish because he will have matured by the OT. I wish I had an alternate-reality machine so I could watch everyone who is dissing the one-liners drool all over them had they actually been in the film.

Cheezy. I can't believe that was pulled out.[face_laugh]

8. halfwits-r-us

Mar 27, 2005
    well, this a vader's line thread not a padme's line thread. Those lines in the book were cheezy. Really cheezy. They would not have fit Vader's mood at the time. he is at the beginning of his sith career, wih still a bit o anakin left, thus the tear we see in his eye. Why would he be mocking all of those he killed, when he obviously wasn't doing it for fun but in order to save his wife. Those zingers would have been way out of place and would have thoroughly disappointed me.

9. DINVADER_RETURNS

DINVADER_RETURNS Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2003
    Agreed! The lines from the book when Anakin confronts the Sepratists are Vaderesque with a capital "V". I can't believe Lucas didn't utilize these fantastic one liners in the movie. If Anakin would have delivered those lines verbatim, from the book, OMG that would have been so ******* awesome! But alas he didn't....just shut the doors and hacked away.

I assure you, if those lines were in the movie, many people would complain about how cheezy and over-the-top they were. Bashers would jump on them like white on rice. If you read some of the comments on them (On these boards) before the movie came out, you'll see exactly what I mean.

10. F-Trunks

F-Trunks Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 3, 2004
    maybe if ONE of those one-liners were in there it would have been ok....but a one-liner for each person he cut down? No....no...just..no.

thank you Lucas..thank you!

11. Darth_Fruit_Fly

May 16, 2005
    OMG, yet another post claiming these lines are cheesy! How on earth can you contend those lines from the book are cheesy, when compared to the "truly" cheesy lines that were actually delivered in ROTS?

12. peter0302

peter0302 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2004
    There were many lines that were cut that are in the book. Lots of Vaderesque sarcasm.

Compare:
    "Apology accepted, Captain Needa."

to:

"The transmission was garbled. He said you would be left in pieces."

and

"I'm your reward. You don't think I'm handsome?"

etc.

13. halfwits-r-us

Mar 27, 2005
    well I never said the lines in the movie weren't cheezy. Just stating that the ones in the book were.

14. Darth_Fruit_Fly

May 16, 2005
    So who in here thinks the lines in the book, with regards to the separatist encounter, are more cheesy than the now infamous ones delivered in the film?

15. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    Are you implying that someone here does, or are you just making a statement?

I was most definitely just making a statement, not refering to anybody . [:D]

16. halfwits-r-us

Mar 27, 2005
    as for more cheezy, yep sep encounter were more cheezy than the ones in the movie.

17. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    Understand that those one-liners, as good as they are, were made up by Stover and were never intended to be in the film. Their just some cool lines made only for the ROTS novel.

18. Harabec

Harabec Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    Cheesy lines in a Star Wars movie? That's ridiculous. I'm quite beside myself.

19. NeoBaggins

Oct 28, 2003
    "well, this a vader's line thread not a padme's line thread.

Nice try. But The usage of "cheezy" was used as if the one-liners would have ruined a film that would otherwise have no cheezy lines. The example fits perfectly.

"Those lines in the book were cheezy. Really cheezy."

Yeah, I guess there's no substitute for such gems as "Love can't save you Padme, only my new powers can.", "YOU UNDERESTIMATE MY POWERS!", "My powers have doubled since the last time we met, Count.", "If you arn't with me, your my enemy.", "From my point of veiw, the Jedi are evil.".

"They would not have fit Vader's mood at the time. he is at the beginning of his sith career, wih still a bit o anakin left, thus the tear we see in his eye. Why would he be mocking all of those he killed, when he obviously wasn't doing it for fun but in order to save his wife. Those zingers would have been way out of place and would have thoroughly disappointed me."

I dont know. Looks like he's having fun to me when he's doing a no-look back saber-deflection on a droid and walkin off all cool. Anyway, Hayden's acting has stepped up and he deserved to do more than walk around whining and talking in a monotone delivery. He could have handle the one-liners well and it would have given Anakin some character in regards to him mirroring his future self.

All of the one-lines were not great but most were and more creative than the existing dialog.

20. halfwits-r-us

Mar 27, 2005
    I think you are reading way into the use of the word cheezy, To me those one liners would have harmed the film.

Damn Neo, you must really hate the Ot then if you think those lines are cheezy.

Like "I was going to go to Toschi station for some power converters" or You underestimate the power of the darkside" (which is So different than "You underetimate my power" in ROTS)Or "you scruffy looking Nerherder"

In no way does that look like he's having fun he looks angry nothing more, than after the slaughter with the tear in his eye he looks up to the orange filled sky with at the glimpse of light left symbolizing the loss/losing of Anakin from the light side of the force.

21. Darth_Fruit_Fly

May 16, 2005
    He could have handle the one-liners well and it would have given Anakin some character in regards to him mirroring his future self.

Exactly. This would have been a fantanstic opportunity to get over the "public" mountain, so to speak, with regards to connecting Anakin to OT Darth Vader.

22. NeoBaggins

Oct 28, 2003

I agree. But I guess if the lines were never Lucas I wouldn't expect them to be in the film. It's funny, when they first surfaced I said that this was the best dialog Lucas ever wrote because he was being flexible and more wildly creative. I was wrong, they wern't his words. It should have been obvious now that I reflect.

"Damn Neo, you must really hate the Ot then if you think those lines are cheezy."

Some lines are cheezy, some lines are not. 99% of the OT lines are memorable. Especially the cheezy ones. No, I don't hate the OT.

"Like "I was going to go to Toschi station for some power converters" or You underestimate the power of the darkside" (which is So different than "You underetimate my power" in ROTS)Or "you scruffy looking Nerherder"

Yeah, that Toshi station line is a doozy. It's so cheezy that it has made history and is one of the many OT STAR WARS quotes permanently embeded into our culture as the most quoted dialog in film history. Yeah, its cheezy and is endeared because of that.

And whats the different between "You underestimate the power of the darkside" and "YOU UNDERESTIMATE MY POWEEERR!!"? First of all, delivery. I guess simply since the lines are similar that the ROTS line should be equally as good as the OT line, right? Wrong. That so many lines are similar you start to realize that this is no longer some mirroring theme by Lucas but rather laziness and his distaste for writing shining through. The "Join me" theme is thrown into a parody as it is used in the PT twice. At one point the recycled dialog gets so ridiculous that the films starts recycling from itself. The OT was made from 77-83 and the dialog should not sound the same 20 years later. But I do think Lucas wrote his best lines for the PT in this film. Some of it works better in different places but the overall recycling motiff is taken to over-the-top status. But that's a different story. I can give examples if you like.

23. DarthZairr

DarthZairr Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2005
    i think he does if you lisen closely when sid is walking down toward him on mustafar he actually breathes like vader just wanted you to know.

24. DINVADER99

DINVADER99 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 2, 2004
    Oh well, some people will never be happy unless they get to write Lucas's scripts their own way. Then there still would be people bitching about that stuff too. There are many opinions and "do it my ways" out there.

25. Annina

Annina Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2005
    Exactly!This is getting totally ridiculous.I mean saying that the OT has NO cheesy lines and all are memorable and good...eh NOT!You are just bashing for the sake of it which is quite stupid and immature I must say.
    Some people can never be pleased...makes me wonder what on earth they are doing here in the first place :confused: [face_thinking] I just can't figure it out.I guess nitpicking is just too much fun,or something [face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.