main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Why end the Skywalker saga?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by GoJohnnyGo, Nov 20, 2018.

1. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Bold Prediction! The Skywalker’s will continue to appear in other Star Wars movies and/or TV shows. Episode IX will simply be ending a particular Skywalker story arc.

Brace yourself for people to be endlessly complaining when the Skywalker’s appear again.

Lee_ likes this.
  2. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    The Skywalkers live on with never ending stories set during the Clone Wars and the Galactic Civil War.

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  3. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Exactly. IX just marks the end of the time frame in which they are present.

If Kylo and therefore the Skywalkers die in IX, we still have 70 years of stories with them. With the periods between episodes still heavily unexplored.

themoth likes this.
  4. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    Indeed. After all this time with Disney we still haven’t even approached TESB timeline. Not even close. And the TV series is taking place after ROTJ, but a very specific story. Literally thousands of story ideas for the franchise going forward.

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  5. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Sorry, but after viewing TLJ and what it did to the story told in the Lucas films, and to the character of Luke skywalker, I have NO desire to see or read a story about the skywalkers between films. I especially have no desire to see or hear about Luke building his Jedi order. If things had been different in TLJ, I would have been thrilled with such stories. Now, knowing what happened to Luke, Han, leia, and Luke’s Jedi, the years between films has become toxic. Why would I want to read or see stories about the OT characters and their further adventures, knowing what happened to them; knowing that everything will turn to dust and be destroyed? Why invest in Luke’s Jedi, knowing that they have no future? They will all either die or go bad. Why waste my time?

I can’t even bring myself to watch the OT films after what was done to the skywalker family characters. Why would I care to try a new story with them, knowing that they all die miserable failures leaving no legacies? That is what TLJ has caused. It is not just one bad film. It casts a long shadow over past and future stories because of how negatively it affected what came before and what comes after. That’s why one can’t just shrug one’s shoulders and say, “ Well, I really hated that movie, but it’s okay because maybe the next one will be better, or they will give me a story I like in a book with my favorite characters”.

No, because they are not only dead, but their accomplishments have been taken away, and even Luke’s character, personality, and integrity have been taken away too. For many of us, new stories about dead and degraded heroes we loved, now would only rub salt into the wounds.

6. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    In-universe, Luke and Leia have a HUGE legacy, and TLJ saw Luke cementing his legendary status, across the galaxy, forever. The Skywalkers and their achievements will never be forgotten.

7. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Didn't TFA establish Luke's failure in creating a new Jedi Order? That was the starting point for Luke's story in TLJ.

Cave of Erised likes this.
  8. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    Yep. And by the same logic, why bother watching the PT if all the Jedi get killed, and Obi-Wan lives the rest of his life as a hermit, to be struck down by his old pupil? But don’t bother trying to change minds - you’ll just get the usual wall of text. Luke’s coming back as a ghost just like Obi-Wan and others.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    Darth_Bertie likes this.
  9. Gnamnito

Gnamnito Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 23, 2017
    get a grip. no legacy? did you not watch the end of TLJ? The rebellion reborn, knighted a new jedi, spectacular force projection, and ben solo. these are all legacies of the skywalkers. don’t forget skywalker is a fake name, it was shmi’s name, and there was no father. rey has a similar situation but she doesn’t have a fake family name. the point is the “skywalker blood” doesn’t belong just to the skywalkers. they don’t own it.

also. if you see luke building his circle, on adventures, and meet amazing young force wielders that would form the academy, and see their relationships and adventures, and then ben solo, i think u might change ur mind. u would see how truly tragic it is, as opposed to just empty.

you also seem to miss the point of yoda telling luke “once you start down the dark path forever will it dominate your destiny”. This applies to Anakin and Luke, in Ben. The reality of the character seems to escape your idealistic versions of them in their most pure moments — like when Luke turned Vader and destroyed the Empire therewith. That moment wasn’t the reality. That moment was one moment of overcoming darkness, not the eschatological end of all evil.

10. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    What they leave is a legacy of failure, thanks to TLJ and TFA. Luke never successfully trained anyone, and he certainly didn’t train Rey, so she is NOT his legacy. She downloaded her force skills and knowledge from Kylo.

Luke is largely responsible for the entire mess in the galaxy according to TLJ. He is responsible for Kylo and six other students lost to the dark side. And Kylo killed the other half of the students. Running off and hiding like a coward for six years allowed snoke and Luke’s fallen students, and the first order to become powerful; kill countless people; destroy the new republic; and decimate the resistance to the point that there are only twenty people and one ship left. Luke’s inaction and his fallen students caused much of that to happen. That’s a pretty terrible legacy in my view. Those of you who like this are lucky that it all works for you. It truly does NOT work for me.

And then to have Luke die in such a stupid way...from using the force, makes it that much more annoying,

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Roosterq, 11-4D and Alliyah Skywalker like this.
  11. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Checks calendar..... is it December 2017? 'Cause it seems like this post teleported from December 2017. C'mon... get over it. You fantasy head canon did not happen. It will not happen. If that ruins Star Wars for you, move on to something else.

miasma and Gnamnito like this.
  12. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    Putting all the blame on one man is excessive. Nobody really knew what Snoke and Ben were up to, and that they had Star Destroyers and a Starkiller base. It was all built up in secret. So when the Starkiller is used, it’s a complete surprise. All that hardware was already being created. Luke wasn’t alone in being surprised by the First Order’s fleet. As far as Luke was concerned, the trouble was a private matter. Ben turned to the dark, killed his students and joined another master.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  13. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Well, pretty sure the Resistance knew the FO had Star Destroyers by the time TFA rolls around. Just seems like because they're so few in number and not a legitimate military threat to the galaxy the way the Empire was, they turned a blind eye (Republic, not Leia's Resistance). They've been public at least for a little while by then. The superweapon's another story.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019