main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Why end the Skywalker saga?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by GoJohnnyGo, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Matty20172018

Matty20172018 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 20, 2017
    May be this just mirroring a true reflection of the current up and coming generations mannerisms ? Well I hear a lot of people say things like that. I'm just highlighting it here in this case.
    Let's remember that Obi Wan had seen every facet of life, namely freedom and peace, followed by intense war and death but also valiant and heroic adventures, followed by betrayal and the deaths of his fellow family (the Jedi), followed by years of having to lay low and actually come to terms with what went wrong, and then finally coming to terms with all that has happened and finding inner peace to move on and right the wrongs of the past, hence leading Luke into his destiny.
    Luke and others were part of a relatively uniform order (the empire). The empire was fighting pockets of rebellion but were not engaged in a galactic war like the Clone Wars as far as I am aware. This is a more personal and a less glorified life than the one Obi Wans ilk had lived, and maybe this results in less richer experiences..

2. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Re: the highlighted. I understand that, but my main point is that unlike Luke, Obi-Wan-having gone thru all that-still kept on keepin on. After everything he'd been put thru and all he's lost, he still had all those years maintained a true sense of purpose and dedicated what ended up being the rest of his life to that. As for Yoda, his feelings over those 20 some years is less clear, but he didn't need some force ghost to kick him in the pants in order to realize once again how important it was for Luke to carry on the legacy of the Jedi. Luke had a dozen students (one of which was his nephew) be turned/killed off, and he's just like "screw this..."

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  3. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    Killing off the last Skywalker isn't non-controversial or simple just because that happens to be your preference.

4. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011

Just because one person is broken by a experience doesn't mean another person can't be.

5. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003

If it's supposed to be a moving storyline with a satisfying character arc, and ultimately leave me entertained as a viewer-rather than depressed and just wishing I saw more, then yes it does. This isn't real life, nor should it be.

For me at least. If someone else prefers to see an old grumpy hermit that gave up on everything he stood for, rather than a character that perseveres for the good of the galaxy, then........more power to them. Everyone's entitled to their own I guess.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    ChildOfWinds likes this.
  6. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I would have also liked Luke less grumpy in the film. That doesn't mean that him being broken is unrealistic just because Obi-Wan and Yoda weren't. They are different people.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  7. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Luke endured and went through far worse and far more in the OT, and all of those things didn’t break him. When the going gets tough, the tough get going, and that was certainly Luke in the previous films. This was simply a poor and terrible characterization of Luke, which didn’t fit the character. Luke basically suffered character assassination in TLJ.

8. RiddleMeThis

Dec 7, 2017
    I thought Luke's characterization was on point in TLJ. He lost his nephew to the dark side, and not only that, but he felt personally responsible for it. It would've been out of character, in fact, if he weren't devastated over losing someone who was both his student and family member.

9. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011

I doubt Luke blames himself for anything that happened in the OT. Luke clearly blames himself for his failure with Ben and his other students, and clearly that broke him. I don't think that makes him weak.

10. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    As fans - I think we're caught up too much in the story and logic of it all. Disney is going to do what they believe makes sense financially (not to say it will work or not). I've remarked on how I noticed they weren't pushing characters at the park in my recent visit this month, but maybe that's the plan. Best thing is to follow the money.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...a/disney-invests-billions-in-theme-parks.html

Disney sells being a princess with its Disney Princess line. They are trying to sell being part of Star Wars - without being a Skywalker (and arguably without being a Jedi at all). TBD if it works. Transformers tried to sell themselves without Optimus Prime - didn't work so well.

But thinking more - many of the key characters of the OT are tied so closely to the actors/actresses. Hard to recreate that magic - its why Disney focuses on droids and masked characters - to try to keep providing the illusion.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  11. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    This ^

EECHUUTA and DarthFixxxer like this.
  12. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    True, but all three of them were JEDI, who followed the Jedi philosophy and held to the Jedi set of principles. That's the premise I'm working off of in this instance. If Luke truly understood the Jedi ideals the way his teachers did, he wouldn't have given up-no matter what happened. Mark Hamill himself has more or less said as much. IMO Leia has been thru just as much (if not more than) Luke in her time, and she continues to be the shining example of how to "keep on keepin' on!"

Agreed, but to me there's a difference between being emotionally devastated by something, and completely giving up on life, the galaxy and the Force altogether.

This I do agree with-the things he went thru in the OT were external, happening to him. Leading to the ST, he felt he was the one responsible. And no, it's true that doesn't make Luke weak. I don't actually think anyone is arguing that he is. But giving up and being weak are not one and the same. Iron strength does not automatically = iron will, or vice versa.

For the record, I don't altogether hate what the ST did with Luke. I suppose after seeing how TLJ ended, I was able to wrap my head around it, and I'm like "okay...I guess that isn't so bad." But a film that exists for the purpose of what it is in its most basic sense: a form of entertainment, shouldn't require me to try to "convince myself" to like how a certain character's arc was handled. It should just be moving, compelling, and generally something that captures the emotions of the viewers. Without having to have it explained to them or read EU books or comics to clarify points.

That's all I'm saying.

godisawesome and RetropME like this.
  13. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Sorry but, giving you obvious bias towards Kylo Ren as a chracter and anything that involves his redemption, I believe acussing me of wanting him to die cause that is my preference is simply not serious.

2Cleva likes this.
  14. RiddleMeThis

Dec 7, 2017
    Sorry but, it's not an accusation when you've repeatedly advocated for exactly that.

I'm pointing out that neither resolution would be necessarily simple. That's not biased.

He withdrew from it all because he blamed himself for what happened, not only because he was devastated.

15. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Because in 8th grade I cheated on my Math final and God is punishing me.

16. Matty20172018

Matty20172018 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 20, 2017
    So far the prequels and the originals covered different eras of history. They are deliberately structured as three act trilogies. Why would the sequels be a glorified three part throw back?
    I'm of the opinion that Luke should have just been behind the scenes in TLJ and been the Yoda figure of t Sequels.
    Problem I have so far withI new trilogy is it feels tacked on as if it's just being done for the sake of it. Where is the story in all this? First Order? Resistance? This all feels a bit tired. We had a planet killer again. What happened with the Corrucant, the capital of Republic and also I think the Empire too... We have hardly see it in the film universe since Episode 3!!

Miles Lodson and Darth Caliban like this.
  17. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Hypothetical: Episode 9 absolutely knocks it out of the park, and is outstanding in closing the saga. Would you then still feel this way?

Right, but we know the sample size in our individual bubble isn't representative, nor is this site. The only real data of any kind of reliability is the scientific polls, which show that audiences generally do like the new movies (along with the audience sizes in attendance and the critical reviews, which have also been good).

If you are saying it has to match the OT to be well-liked as SW, I wouldn't look at that as a reasonable measuring stick. SW as a cultural phenomenon in the 70's and 80's was above and beyond Marvel and every other movie series today, it would be silly to even compare anything. We are talking a dominant force in movies, books, science fiction, special effects, toys, etc. Nothing will ever dominate like that, and it is etched into pop culture because of that. Of course people still love those characters the most.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  18. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    I wonder how it's going to conclude. If Rey is left to start the Jedi order over again on her own I'm just going to assume she screws it up like Luke did.

19. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    I really think Rey will move beyond setting up an order. I think with her lesson when she was in tune with the island that the force is at a balance in what she saw in her meditations. Embrace it all and become its instrument.

Cave of Erised likes this.
  20. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    While Rey might not set up an order that mirrors the order from the prequels don't you think Ep. IX will suggest that she'll put something in motion that will turn into some sort of Jedi organization?

21. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    We all know that ending the Skywalker saga story is a great idea because everyone knows that Episodes I-VIII were ALL farses and failures, especially those horrible OT movies. The Skywalker family was always a bunch of losers and those movies should never have been made. End this family now! :rolleyes: NOT

22. Cave of Erised

Cave of Erised Jedi Knight star 2

May 3, 2018
    Rather than ending with her to setup the revised order (one where she could learn from the mistakes of the original Jedi and Luke), I think it would be beneficial for her to start the new order during the next film. That way, toward the end of the film, it feels like an established group that could take on the Knights of Ren. Poetically, it would be nice in the new Jedi order could be somehow named after the Skywalkers to tie in with so-called end of their story.

I don’t think this will happen, but I like the sound of it.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  23. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Hahaha! It is always funny reading certain fans collapse for a moment.

Seriously, ending the Skywalker is just another option, they could have continued making movies for ever and ever as with GOT and the Targaryen.

It seems LFL has chosen to reset the clock and close this chapter for good.

24. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I doubt it'll happen too. I don't think there's going to be much of a time jump between TLJ and Ep. IX and therefore not enough time to create a new Jedi order.

Speaking of learning from Luke's mistakes we still don't know what caused Luke to train students in the mold of the old Jedi way. I believe either in the novelization of TLJ and/or some other ancillary material it's said that Luke purposely avoided starting a new Jedi order after ROTJ in part because he didn't agree with the old prequel Jedi philosophy but then something changed Luke's mind when he was training the ill-fated students and Kylo he was using the PT philosophy.

Oh who am I kidding? Ep. IX isn't going to get into that all.

25. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Fan collapse? Or is it just not buying into the idea that Disney/LFL would completely abandon any chance of a future revisiting of the Skywalker family line in film?

An option? Yes. But look at the line of successful Skywalker-based films in the past 40 years versus the still untested reception of non-Skywalker films. Skywalkers are 8-0, presumably to become 9-0. Non-Skywalkers are currently 1-1, including the lowest grossing SW film to date (adjusted or unadjusted). I'd say at the moment, odds are heavily in favor of support for the possibility of more Skywalker films....at some point.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    2Cleva and Gamma626 like this.