main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Why end the Skywalker saga?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by GoJohnnyGo, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Of course she won't. She's clearly better than Luke! There's no way they'll make another set of movies in thirty five years where everything the ST characters fought for is wiped out in an hour and they all die slowly having failed to do anything positive long term.

Right?

2. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    All things come to an end eventually, even in a GFFA.

3. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Two movies being used as any kind of measure for the reasons why one movie did not do as expected in the box office, would make any person that has just taken one statistics class in their lives cringe a little bit.

I don't know if you honestly think that SOLO failed because it didn't have any Skywalkers, but I doubt that's true, for a variety of reasons. First of all, SOLO came out too soon after TLJ. People were not still very hungry about the next Star Wars movie. On the contrary, I can see it all around me (and on this forum), that people are hungry for a new Star Wars movie now. If it came out in December 2018, I think it's safe to assume that SOLO would have made so much more money.

Second, a significant amount of people (myself included) were left with a very sour taste on their mounts after TLJ. However, I DID go to watch Solo in the movie theaters. But I only went once. Many of the people I know though, didn't. Also, I watched TFA 3 times and Rogue One another 3 times, at the movie theater. After TLJ, I have made a conscious decision that I will never watch any Disney movie more than once at the theater. I can't be the only one.

Third, poor marketing. Websites, billboards, tv commercials, toys, etc, where was all that for Solo? We saw it for Rogue One and for the episodes. This one just didn't have enough time. Maybe the re-shoots and the very expensive production reduced the budget for marketing? I don't know. Maybe Disney became complacent and thought that people will just go watch anything SW no matter what? You and I might, but not the average movie-goer that just wants to have a fun night on a random Saturday night.

Fourth, at the end of the day, another factor might just be that people don't really care to see a movie about Han Solo that much. That doesn't mean they necessarily need to see a Skywalker movie. Perhaps an Old Republic movie would do even better, given the obsession of gamers with the KOTOR games and the whole lore that has been part of SW at this point. Maybe a movie about Kenobi would do better than Solo. I haven't heard people saying that they didn't go to watch Solo because it didn't have Skywalkers....

So, to wrap it up, while I would love to have the Skywalker bloodline open for future exploration, and I think that the work done with their last representatives (Luke and Leia, and I guess Ben Solo....ewww) is absolutely horrendous, I don't think Star Wars necessarily needs the Skywalkers to make money and successful movies. The conversation about the quality of the movies is a different one though, and not for this post.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    wobbits likes this.
  4. moxlox

moxlox Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Well my 4yo loves Kylo, Rey and Finn, especially Finn. He is intrigued he changed from a stormtrooper to a goodie. He gets it completely.

Funnily enough the one film he refuses to watch is ROTS because to quote him he "doesn't like Anakin turning bad". Loves the new films just as much.

AOTC is his favourite SW film essentially because of all the Jedi fighting at the end.

jedi-soon likes this.
  5. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Right, but that is a bit of a shaky correlation given there have only been 2 non-Skywalker films, and one had a lot of problems that may be to some degree attributable to poor marketing and timing; you also have a number of other reasons that your correlation may not be causal. For example, the big 3 will pretty much be gone with the exception of force ghost Luke. All of the old characters would be gone, and all you have left is the Skywalker name; we don't know if this would draw people any more than a totally new saga. It has not been tested; besides being Skywalker movies; success has also correlated with at least 2 of the big 3 being in a prominent role.

I think it will depend on how good of a job they are able to do in hatching new stories and characters, not so much whether the Skywalker name is attached. I do agree that something from the Skywalker clan will appear in movies/shows in the future, I just don't think the saga will ever continue (in terms of an exclusive saga bout the Skywalkers).

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    Darth_Bertie likes this.
  6. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Regardless, it's still no reason to definitively end the Skywalker family line. Not saying how they will keep it going, but no reason to think they have to completely end it. It's still bankable.

7. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Which is why I think it was foolish and short-sighted of them to kill off Luke before he even trained Rey, and without leaving at least one good new skywalker character. This would have given them options for the future if they chose to do another story about the skywalkers sometime in the future. They sort of burned their bridges by having evil Kylo be the only legacy character. To me and others, he is toxic. He has done too much evil to ever be allowed to live and go free to have a family even if he is redeemed eventually. He is Not a good enough character, in my opinion, to be the “ franchise” skywalker character going forward. There should have been another. With only Kylo, they have written themselves into a corner should they ever change their minds and decide to go back to telling a story about the Skywalker family.

jedi-soon and godisawesome like this.
  8. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    Unless there's some sort of Dallas-like Bobby Ewing dream sequence to negate the last episode? Absolutely. The dystopian future that has become of the alliance after all the struggle was a bit too much for me personally. Especially since it's just the Empire2.0. On top of that Han, and Luke had meaningless deaths and the new characters in this part of the saga haven't been given the agency to stand out like the original three. Luke and Leia to me were the biggest disappointments though. I didn't think Rian properly deconstructed Luke despite his intentions and I was really hoping Leia's use of the force would have the audience standing up and cheering. Instead, the Marry Poppins incident didn't even get acknowledged by the Resistance. In order for EPIX to 'knock it out of the park' they'd probably need 4 hours of screen time.

I think the screenwriters ended the Skywalker saga (whether it was intentional or not). Luke and Leia are dead. Leia had one child, who is now the Supreme Leader with no redeeming characteristics what-so-ever. Rey is done with him so aside from some creepy Alan Rickman Sheriff/Maid-Marian Robin Hood scene he's not carrying on the bloodline. I think enough damage has been done.

2Cleva likes this.
  9. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Speaking of Rickman, I have always been in the mindset that IX needs a Snape-like flashback sequence that quickly but effectively tells a bit of the story of Kylo Ren and by doing so brings back Luke, Leia, and Han in that sequence along with Snoke and his influence. It's something JJ would do and something that people would get into (talk about fan service-it can all be done in 5-10 minutes).

If the Skywalker family line is not continued, then it certainly needs to be paid homeage to in a way that TFA and TLJ have not.

10. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I believe people returned to the cinemas for TFA cause they wanted a continuation of the OT story, not because there had to be a Skywalker on it. I think a movie with the Big 3 and no Skywalker offspring would have been way more successful than a Skywalker led movie 100 years after ROTJ with no Big 3 at all.

In a few years, if LFL decides to do more movies with Rey, Finn and Poe, but no more Skywalkers and no more Empire/FO, there is a good chance that, if done well, they are sucessful.

11. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Speaking for me, I have no strong desire to one day see how Luke or Leia’s great-great-great-great grandchild saves the Galaxy, like their parents before them and their parents before them and their etc. Move us onto new characters, up against new threats, disconnected from this particular story and lineage.

And no new Jedi order, please. Let new Force users find their own way to the Jedi name.

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  12. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Truth is, I don't know how marketable any future SW movie will be. Rey, Finn, and Poe are probably not as marketable as the OT3. Rogue One was a good movie but if it wasn't directly tied to the events of the OT, it wouldn't have been what it was. Solo was not a bad movie but had no connection to the SW saga other than some characters. For ANY movie in the future to be successful, it will have to have a great story. Unforunately, the public is not seemingly ready to embrace any new story.

13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I don’t think we have enough evidence to suggest that, frankly. Solo might not have been based around the Skywalkers, but it gave us the backstory of three really well-known and popular characters. Its connection back to the OT was as strong as, and arguably stronger than, Rogue One’s.

14. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    We don't really know if they will embrace a new story though, because they have stayed so close to the OT with everything; we have nothing to go on. I agree it will be related to the quality of the new movies that will determine how well they do. The public will have to connect with the new characters and storylines.

15. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Strongly agree on both points. If you think about it, while I would have preferred Luke trained Rey longer and not die until IX, LFL has found an interesting way of ending the Skywalkers. At least one I could not have imagined when the ST was announced. The villain being a Solo and Luke's pupil being this new random hero.

16. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    They could start testing the waters with new blood by gaining momentum with their new cast members. People were excited about Rey, Finn, Kylo, and Poe after TFA, but they didn't really get anywhere in TLJ. They haven't given those 4 a story (to this point) that maintains excitement the way Leia, Han, Luke and Vader did.

17. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I think stating "This is the end of the Skywalker Saga" is like box office click bait - they want you back in the theatre after the Solo debacle ,

Besides if Kylo Ren dies then that truly is the end - Leia is alive but not really , Luke is dead but coming back as a Force Ghost to finish his story so not much to tell after this......

18. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Are there any people who have grown up with the SW films since ANH that actually WANT the Skywalker family line to end?

Why can't the saga end with the Skywalker family line intact or at least alive?

19. Darth Mikey

Darth Mikey Jedi Master star 3

Sep 7, 2015
    I remember back when TLJ rumors were flying that one of them was that Luke would discover that indeed Darth Plageus DID use the midichlorians to create Anakin. This would greatly disturb Luke, and once Ben turned he was convinced that because his lineage was basically created by the Dark Side, then the Dark Side permeated the entire family line, no matter how good they tried to be. And Ben's turn just confirmed this for Luke. So one of he reasons he went to Ach-To WAS to die, to do his part in stopping the powerful Dark Side influence his bloodline spread throughout the Galaxy to end.

Now...not saying there's anything to this idea, but could it be something they revisit in Episode IX? That the Skywalker Saga has to end by the bloodline ending, because as long as it exists the potential for the Dark Side to grow stronger exists? Luke talked about the "mighty Skywalker blood". Maybe that blood was corrupted from the beginning, and the only way to stop it from continuing to devastate the Galaxy is to end it for good?

EECHUUTA and Darth Caliban like this.
  20. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Well it would be sad. On that note though, can anyone imagine ANYONE ever saying that their own family is cursed beyond redemption and needs to become extinct?

I mean-that's one of the supporting notions behind Rey SOMEHOW being a Skywalker AND them showing Broom Boy at the end. Anyone can be Force sensitive so they have that covered with Broom Boy while Rey could still be a Skywalker. Hell, she doesn't even need to be Luke's kid or Kylo's sister. Just some lineage long ago.

Imagine if Rey WAS somehow related to Shmi's family and they could actually pull it off. It would mean that Anakin wasn't just some sort of "poof, there's the chosen one" after all. Far fetched? Yeah probably. But it's just a way to say that we all KNEW this thread would somehow get to a hypothesis that Rey is a Skywalker.

EECHUUTA likes this.
  21. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    In Lucas' original script for episode 3 Palpatine told Anakin in the theater scene he created him after he said Plagueis tought his apprentice everything he knew. That would be great if Sheev was still responsible for the darkside rising 30 years after his death.

EECHUUTA and Darth Caliban like this.
  22. dlbates

Nov 30, 2014
    I would say go backwards in the timeline. Have the next set of movies by the game of thrones writers be about the old republic (which I hope to God it is) and pull back alot of the hardcore fans with stories about the Jedi vs the Sith, bounty hunters, mandalorians, smugglers and giant space battles. Build up all the history lost by uncanonizing the EU. Take a break from the future and fix the past.

23. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Correct, except I believe it was in Palpatine's office, not the opera scene.

In this version Anakin pledges in the same scene he hears this, then Mace and co arrive without Anakin relaying Palpatine's identity to Mace.

Mace tells Anakin to stand down, but Anakin refuses. Mace doesn't know Anakin has already turned.

It's kind of like the ESB "I am your father. Join me." except Anakin says yes.

Plus Anakin is kind of protecting his new master like Vader does in ROTJ I think, rather than saving him at the last minute. The fight still occurs between Mace and Palpatine, but Anakin I think is more determined when he strikes Mace in this version.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  24. dlbates

Nov 30, 2014
    Ah yes, that's it. It's been a long time. I really hope they show holocron or flashback of Palpatine in 9 and give him some credit for preserving the fight against the republic and Jedi.

Darth Caliban and HevyDevy like this.
  25. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Boredom? There are diminishing returns when it comes to following the same family through the generations. Hard to keep it interesting.

EECHUUTA and Darth_Bertie like this.