main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why hasn't the UK adopted the Euro as its currency?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by The Gatherer, Aug 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    UKIP see us as entirely separate from Europe

Entirely separate in terms of political and economic institutions, not really much else.

like Europeans are "different" when in fact we have become very europeanised ourselves

I personally don't think we have become "Europeanised", and I don't think that just because buy German and French products and go on holiday there means as such. We as a nation trade with countries all over the world, and because we do so, does not mean we are as they are. (Does that make sense :confused:)

It is a form of euro-phobia

I'm a little lost here really - because the UKIP (and many others who do not vote for UKIP) see us as separate from the EU, they are "Euro-phobic". Could it maybe because they see fundamental problems from the British perspective for further integration into the EU, and in some cases, our continued membership - to me this isn't any kind of phobia just people making logical decsions based on the facts they observe.

Btw, please don't think I'm getting at you, I'm only challenging your arguements with mine ;)

[face_monkey]

2. ask-the-younglings

ask-the-younglings Jedi Youngling star 5

Jan 18, 2004
    Zacparis - your avatar = spoiler... how'd you manage that?

Oh, Euro, yeah - looked into that a while back in case there ever was a referendum. Some fairly compelling reasons not to join in the short term. In principle, though, I'm in favour.

3. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    My avatar was on the front page of Wellington's daily newspaper last month. So I figured it's no longer a spoiler. :p

4. Enji

Enji Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 14, 2002
    Eeep! Eppy 3 pics! *looks the other way* :eek: Dammit, how am I going to cope with coming to the JC and not looking at icons... [face_worried]

I don't know why Britain hasn't adopted the Euro, but the Swedish people are generally against it. Or at least doubting the Euro. Most people here want to wait and see what'll happen to the other small countries with the Euro. Many people thinks it might not be best for our country to adopt it, since we're very small and perhaps will not have that much influence.

5. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001
    To be honest
    I'm not for the Euro, I'm so use to the Pound
    Its just another hassle for us poor Brits.
    If you remember when the the Euro came into France some people had trouble converting from fanc to Euro.

I echo what Halibut said in his first statement but also I think that Paliment didn't what to be dictated by France and Germany, in how they should run our economy, or something on that lines.

6. Darkgloom

Darkgloom Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 2, 2001
    Btw, please don't think I'm getting at you, I'm only challenging your arguements with mine

I know :)

Could it maybe because they see fundamental problems from the British perspective for further integration into the EU, and in some cases, our continued membership - to me this isn't any kind of phobia just people making logical decsions based on the facts they observe.

I believe that a large proportion of anti-Europe / Euro people in Britain are not making their decisions on political and social issues, but on the anti-Europe hype, Euro-phobia indeed, that has become so common in our press and in our society. I am merely pointing out that while I find the attitude of the average person in Britain to be
    "oh, we don't want the French running our country! I don't even like the French" in a semi-lighthearted way, a lot of our culture, food and leisure comes from France (or indeed any other European nation, I just used France as my example).

I personally don't think we have become "Europeanised", and I don't think that just because buy German and French products and go on holiday there means as such. We as a nation trade with countries all over the world, and because we do so, does not mean we are as they are

On the contrary, how often are British made products nowadays marketed with French names, using the French language (in much the same way as people complain about Americanisation with everything being "American Style")? Does this not show an integration of their culture?
    Surely the food we eat is a part of our culture and social background, and if it is from Europe then we are becoming Europeanised? (again I could draw from the American example; people complain that American culture is becoming integrated into ours because of the fast food industry)

7. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    French? French? 1066 anyone? :p

It's interesting, having spent half of my life in a country that's gradually separating from the crown and the other half of my life in a country that's gradually merging with Europe... am I making sense? Probably not.

8. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    I believe that a large proportion of anti-Europe / Euro people in Britain are not making their decisions on political and social issues, but on the anti-Europe hype, Euro-phobia indeed, that has become so common in our press and in our society.

Again you must ask yourself why is this so - are you suggesting that most (if not all) anti-European hype and press is nothing more than a dislike of our European neighbours, or as I suggested before could it not the case that the EU and single currency have fundamental problems that many people see as not being for the benefit of the UK.

I am merely pointing out that while I find the attitude of the average person in Britain to be
    "oh, we don't want the French running our country! I don't even like the French" in a semi-lighthearted way, a lot of our culture, food and leisure comes from France

I accept your point, but I'm still a tad confused as your use of it as arguement for the UKIP being ignorant. I think we should let sleeping dogs lie on this one.

On the contrary, how often are British made products nowadays marketed with French names, using the French language (in much the same way as people complain about Americanisation with everything being "American Style")? Does this not show an integration of their culture?
    Surely the food we eat is a part of our culture and social background, and if it is from Europe then we are becoming Europeanised? (again I could draw from the American example; people complain that American culture is becoming integrated into ours because of the fast food industry)

Whilst I still don't think we have become "Europeanised", afterall we don't even speak a common language, I agree with your assessment of "Americanisation" everything from Fast Food to music, fashion etc. However does this mean we should further integrate with the US to form a giant political and economic Union? Afterall we exert our influences on many countries around the world from food to science to music to sport, and the list goes on. Taking on parts of foreign culture is what allows societies to develop and I'm sorry it isn't an adequate arguement for further integration into the EU.

Btw, please don't think I'm getting at you, I'm only challenging your arguements with mine

I know

I'm glad about that, because I'm really not! :)

[face_monkey]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.