main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BTS Why I think the Star Wars saga ended in Return of the Jedi

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Lord Sith Harloxzz, Apr 3, 2017.

?

Would you have liked Star Wars to end in Episode VI?

Poll closed Apr 17, 2017.
  1. Yes

23 vote(s)
    45.1%
  2. No

28 vote(s)
    54.9%
  1. The Star Wars saga was going to tell only one story the story is about the fall of the Jedi and the tragedy of Darth Vader

The story begins in a galaxy with millions of Jedi and with a strong and stable Republic but everything change with the arrival of Plagueis and Palpatine. Two Siths who would be preparing a thousand year plan to end the Republic and the Jedi

And as we all know Palpatine would kill his master by taking his place as The Dark Lord of the Sith and in the end Palpatine would succeed in executing his plan to overthrow the Jedi with Order 66 and with the help of his new apprentice Darth Vader managed the end of The Clone Wars and the end of The Jedi Order

Later it would create the Galactic Empire where only Vader and him would be the only living users that control the force apart of Obi-Wan and Yoda.

Many years later the son of Vader, Luke Skywalker confronts his father and defeats him then Vader returns to the light and faces The Emperor causing as a result the death of the two Sith and thus bringing balance to the force and in the end Luke would be The Last Jedi and would become the most powerful Jedi of all and would restore The Jedi Order once more

As we can see if we count only the movies we will see how the prophecy of the chosen one has more sense because this is how it should be

That's why I think Star Wars should have ended in Return of the Jedi and not after because i think the saga ended very well in the Episode VI

But unfortunately or luckily The Star Wars saga become something more than 6 movies and we will have more Star Wars for a long time

That's why i would like to know your opinion Would you have liked Star Wars to end in Episode VI?

2. Feologild

Feologild Jedi Knight

Nov 9, 2016
    You know i am fine with them making more movies. And to be honest it would be fine if Episode VI was the last.

rocknroll41, dolphin and Organafan like this.
  3. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I voted no. The reason I voted no is because no matter how many films they bring out I will only watch the ones I like. At this point in time I watch RO-ANH-ESB-ROTJ. I just prefer that era... Great start - Great finish.

I will see how the ST plays out before adding it to the collection... The PT is wiped.

Emperor Ferus, C.Roach and Sarge like this.
  4. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I prefer Star Wars as an ongoing franchise, so that means continuing the story after ROTJ.

rocknroll41 likes this.
  5. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Hopefully this won't turn into yet another pro/contra-prequel discussion. Sure, the saga could have ended after ROTJ as far as I was concerned. Was I interested in the following installments? Definitely YES. Once again I admit that I am a prequel fan, as I think they added so much to the saga. Had SW just ended with ROTJ (meaning without the special editions) I'm pretty sure it would have faded from viewers' interests pretty soon, without anything new to add to the story. Sorry if I offend anyone with this, but I think SW would be pretty much dead by now without everything that came after ROTJ in 1983.

6. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    I voted yes on grounds that you can't exceed, even with ITER, CERN, all the king's horses and all the king's men, the energy of recombination between ESB Fisher and ESB Ford.

(There is a time for the word "tension", and ESB exceeds.)

7. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Trust me, it wont.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The movie was only the conclusion because when Lucas was making the OT, he was determined to finish the films and not have to worry about getting his ideas out there. Because so many ideas were put into ROTJ, he had nothing left to tell for the ST. The stuff that existed was in that film and he had trouble figuring out where to take it after ROTJ. But Lucas has always known that it was possible to tell more stories without him being the one to tell them. That's why he started going that route in 2010. If Episode IX ends on a strong note, then it will be as worth it as ROTJ was.

SlashMan and DrDre like this.
  9. Alison Organa

Alison Organa Jedi Knight star 1

May 4, 2016
    While I am among those who didn't care for the prequels, I DO love TFA and RO. I think SW is coming back into its own. Although I liked the idea of the series ending with ROTJ. It was such a perfect way to end it, IMHO.

Taylore and Sarge like this.
  10. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    What occurred in 2010? Did he begin shopping for buyers (that included but were not exclusively limited to Disney)? I did a fast google of 'Lucas Lucasfilm 2010'. The hits date from 2012, Disney sale, and reference a pledge in 2010 to donate half his wealth before his death.
    e.g. http://collider.com/george-lucas-lucasfilm-sale-charity/

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Lucas started to come up with ideas for the ST before he sold his company. It really started after he began getting involved with TCW, according to his son and well before Iger came along in 2011, since it took him a year to agree to sell the company.

Hernalt likes this.
  12. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Yeah, the keyword being "was." And before that, it wasn't about that at all. It was recontextualized to be about that with the addition of Episodes I-III. Before that, Star Wars was "The Adventures of Luke Skywalker." It was about that and only about that from 1977 when the original film was released, and the recontextualization didn't begin until sixteen years after the release of Return of the Jedi when The Phantom Menace was released. Then it was turned into "The Tragedy of Darth Vader," but it absolutely was not before. Now, with the addition of VII-IX, it's being recontextualized once more, this time into "The Skywalker Saga." And that's fine. Change has been a part of this series' core from the very beginning.

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Until we see a fully realized Jedi Order and a fully restored Republic, the Saga isn't over imo.

14. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I don't think this trilogy is building to either of those two things, either immediately or in the long run. A huge point of the PT is that the Jedi Order had become too much about "order" and not enough about being Jedi. I'm expecting Jedi to be far more individualized from the ST onwards, and the Republic was reinstated only to suffer the same issues of its predecessor before being blown up thirty years later. I don't know if we'll see a centralized form of government like that again. I think those two concepts are going to be left to the EU, where even there the Jedi seemed to be wiped out every couple of generations and the Republic kept being replaced with some form of Empire every fifty or so years.

15. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    Yeah, I think of it as a generational thing. One of the best lines from the prequels was from The Phantom Menace's trailer: "Ever generation has a legend..."

The original trilogy is about Luke. The prequels are about Anakin. The new trilogy is about Rey or whatever...we don't exactly know yet, but I don't see it as an add-on to a self-contained series of 6 films--I see it as a new set of 3, to add to the existing sets of 3. And I'm fine with Star Wars expanding that way, essentially without end.

Sarge likes this.
  16. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    To add to that, many of the TV spots for The Force Awakens had the tagline, "Every generation has a story."

17. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    I voted yes I wish ROTJ was the last...but only for the saga films. I don't mind doing spinoffs like Rogue One and so on. But the "main" saga story ended so perfectly with ROTJ.

I could have been more on board with the ST but it's hard to when the big 3 characters had pretty crappy lives after the happy ending in ROTJ, at least prior to TFA anyways. Might have been good for awhile.

18. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Eh, I only care about Episodes 1-6 and events between them. (Like Rogue One and TCW).

Never cared about pre TPM or post ROTJ lore, but idc. More SW movies are always a win imo. Plus, even if I don't like them, I always have 1 to 6. (and R1).

19. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    I voted yes as I thought ROTJ was a perfect and complete ending to the sega. Everything is resolved, all the villains are dead, the Empire is soundly defeated, the balance of the force is restored, etc. ROTJ paints the sega into a corner, no way to paint more without stepping on and marring the paint that is already applied. BTW, I am a fan of the PT and prefer the SEs over the OOT.

20. IrB

IrB Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 16, 2016
    I guess everybody has his own idea about that (and, as matter of fact, is own head canon, let's call it). So I don't know if it really matters to discuss about this...

Anyway, I'd like the saga going on if Luke and Leia had achieve something in the meanwhile, but basically there is nothing like that in TFA and I have an hard time to combine this fact with the end of ROTJ (and all the chosen one stuff, by the way).
    I liked much more RO, some scenes were great, but still it "sounded" somehow different from "Lucas' movies" (including TESB e ROTJ, of course). I don't mean Lucas's movies are necessarily better (I didn't like TPM or AOTC as much as ROTS and CT, for example), but just that new movies have different styles and I could feel a different hand behind them. It's nothing really relate to the abilities of actors or directors in themself.
    Basically, when I watched the new movies I felt like when I'm reading fanfiction: some can be great (RO), other can be dissapointing (TFA), but anyway they are a different thing.
    So, coming to answer, in a sense, I watch SW like it ends just in ROTJ. I can't just think the saga really is going on and the new movies look to me just as interesting (or not interesting) exploration around Lucas' movies timeline.

(If you think TFA is the better SW movie of all times, please don't kill me: as I said I guess everyone has his own head canon ;) )

21. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    When / what year / what publication was it decided that the "galaxy" context, used ubiquitously in OT, meant "somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 the actual galaxy". True, Han says he had been 'from one side of the galaxy to the other', giving mandate to a sense that there was a preferred view of the galaxy, not unlike a Mercator projection. Admiral Ozzel absolutely says, 'there are so many uncharted settlements', but there is not the faintest hint that he is referring to a missing 1/3 of the galaxy's political mass. An ESB Lieutenant says, 'they could be on the other side of the galaxy by now', giving no hint that there is a preferred direction that avoids 1/3 of the galaxy. Vader responds by saying, 'calculate every possible destination along their last known trajectory', giving no hint that there is any unlikely trajectory. Vader says to Luke, 'rule the galaxy as father and son'. Not 'half to 2/3 the galaxy'. As of end of story in ROTJ83 credits, the "galaxy" means what galaxy means. (One can pedantically point out that the Coruscant of TFA in no way reflects the stellar density of a galactic core, which is to find that the center of a galaxy is never actually depicted in GFFA. The revising mapmakers have decided that the core worlds, I believe, exist outside of what would be an actual galactic core.) The faintest hint that there is more to the galaxy than the OT galaxy, in quantity or in complexity, comes in AOTC, where Lucas expands his own OT context to now include a satellite / dwarf galaxy (Rishi Maze). So who was it that decided, for TFA, that 1/3 the OT galaxy had always been unexplored (and therefore a quantum foam ripe for new plot)? I am not aware that it was Lucas who pulled this rug, but then maybe it was, in some ancillary Lucasfilm product.

Sarge likes this.
  22. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    It ended with LucasĀ“s story treatments for what would be the TRUE Episodes VII, VIII and IX.

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  23. Matthaeus Sunrider

Matthaeus Sunrider Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    Being a Star Wars junky I don't put much investment in other franchises. They could stop making movies altogether as long as they keep making Star Wars movies I'll be fine. The universe is just too awesome to stop. If they can make 3 dozen Bond films and that's just one guy, Star Wars should have no problem continuing for a long while!

24. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    Not, "Coruscant of TFA", but "Coruscant of TPM".

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's a holdover from Legends. The New Jedi Order introductory book, Vector Prime (published October 1999), was the first to show the galaxy with an "Unknown Regions" all on one side.

Prior to that, the "explored Galaxy" (or "Galactic Empire-controlled space") was often implied to be, or described as, a pretty small portion, regardless of what was said in the movies (the assumption by fans who accepted these statements was, that Piett, Han, etc were using hyperbole).

ANH novelization:

The tridimensional solid screen filled one wall of the vast chamber from floor to ceiling. It showed a million star systems. A tiny portion of the galaxy, but an impressive display nonetheless when exhibited in such a fashion.

"This station is the final link in the new-forged Imperial chain which will bind the million systems of the galactic Empire together once and for all."

Vader stared at the motley array of stars displayed on the conference-room map while Tarkin and Admiral Motti conferred nearby. Interestingly, the first use of the most powerful destructive machine ever constructed had seemingly had no influence at all on that map, which in itself represented only a tiny fraction of this section of one modest-sized galaxy.

- it was Vector Prime that first showed explored territory stretching from edge to opposite edge - and with a fairly small "Unknown Regions" chunk as part of the main galactic spiral arms:

[​IMG]

This map became the basis of all future maps - including the one in The Force Awakens Visual Dictionary.

MarcJordan and dolphin like this.