main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why Indianapolis again?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by DARK_VADOR, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARK_VADOR

DARK_VADOR Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2004
    No offense to the fine city of Indy, but you'd think the Star Wars Celebration could've been in another city, just to spread the event around (and also considering this is the last SW movie). I'm sure Indy has the hotels and facilities to host the celebration and I'm assuming everthing went smoothly last time around. But how about another city getting a fair shot at this event? It's too late, I know, but I'm sure there could've been *another* city that would've fulfilled the needs of the Celebration. The people organizing C3 should've done a little more looking around. The USA is a big country.

And no, I don't have any ideas off the top of my head of cities they could've chosen. But with all due respect, choosing Indy again was lazy, lazy, lazy.

Topics on where Celebration 4 could be held can be started over in the FF Conventions forum.

2. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    The reason it's in Indy is because it's a central location in the US,and it has several different major freeways running through it. Also,because Indy is very well equiped to handle an event like this. :)

3. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Why Indianapolis again?

:eek: My home this is.

Actually, Indianapolis is not my home. I live in Greenwood Indiana and work in Indianapolis. I live around 15 miles south of where CELEBRATION III will be held.

OBIX1 has given good reasons for CELEBRATION III to be held in Indianapolis.

I'm glad it is going to be in Indianapolis including for obvious reasons, but my Wife and I would be going to CELEBRATION III all four days regardless of where it was being held. :)

4. IEatPoodoo

IEatPoodoo Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    Like it was said before, Indy is a pretty good center point in this country. Any other logical choice would involve the East coast or West coast and it would be pretty hard for many fans to travel across the entire United States.

But, I'm obviously going to defend Indy since I'm only 4 hours away in Chicago...

5. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I still say it should have been in Denver's brand new Convention Center, but that's just the bias in me. :p

6. whojedi

whojedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 2001
    Yes, I live in Indy, however, there is a very logical reason that Indy was chosen again. The key word there is "again".

I attended C1 in Denver. Granted, alot of their problems arose due to the weather, but it was put together very last minute and not very well organized for an event of that magnitude.

C2 was much more organized than C1. They were a bit familiar with the facilities, but still had alot to learn.

Since C2 has ended, Gen-Con has run two large events at the Convention Center. If nothing else, these proved as more test runs for C3.

Now, they have extensive knowledge of the facilities after now running 3 huge events there. This gives them an incredible advantage for an event this big. If they had C3 in another city and another convention center, they would run into the same unforseeable problems that they ran into at C1 and C2.

By choosing Indy again, they can tackle these problems before they ever happen. They are trying to make this the biggest and best Star Wars event ever. Because of that, Indy was the only logical choice.

7. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    For CELEBRATION II, the weather was great each day. It would be cool if it's great each day for CELEBRATION III. :)

Regardless, CELEBRATION III will be great. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.