main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why is it so important for those of you who are religious to convert others?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Wormie2, Jan 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wormie2

Wormie2 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    Can't you just live and let live? Don't you know that for those of us who choose to believe differently what you're doing is tantamount to harrassement?

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Jews try to discourage converts.

3. Ender

Ender Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 12, 1998
    Only religion I've had try and convert me is Christianity.

4. Coolguy4522

Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    Well that explains their rapid growth.

I think it is important to share you gosple because it brings happiness. If you had something that made people happy and full of joy, wouldn't you want to share it?

5. cydonia

cydonia Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 6, 2001
    I don't feel compelled to change people towards my way of thinking, because i know it's futile. I just like to argue ;)

6. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Maybe that says something about Christianity, Ender? Maybe they know something others don't?

7. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

As a Christian, I am told by God's Word to preach his Gospel.

As a reasonable person I know that that may not work for invisible cyber-people on the internet, so I don't try it.

I have witnessed to those that I love. If, as a Christian, I believe that the only way to Heaven is through belief and trust in Jesus, then wouldn't I be a sorry SOB if I didn't at least try to let my family and friends in on that little tidbit? I love my Grandpa very much, and I tell him what I believe and why. But it's still his choice in the end.

Personally, I'm not comfortable doing that to complete strangers. In my experience, it's rarely successful. But since I love my family and friends, I tell the ones who I believe need to hear it.

But to answer the question posed in the title, we are instructed to do so as Christians.

AYBABTU?

8. Wormie2

Feb 22, 1999
    Who says it makes your unwilling "converts" happy?

9. GreedoCMZ

GreedoCMZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 13, 1999
    Huh? Who is it that's going to convert unwillingly? I have people talk to me about their religion and I have anice little discussion with them but I don't get myself fenagled into joining something I don't believe in.

10. Coolguy4522

Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    The missionaries of my church don't point a gun to anyones head. Why do you think they are unwilling? The missionaries I know get doors slammed in their face all the time. If they arn't happy with my church, then they can leave.

11. Ender

Ender Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 12, 1998
    We're just in denial, Wormie. I wonder how they would feel if a bunch of NSYNC fans tried to get them to like their band?

12. cydonia

Jun 6, 2001
    There's a difference between people trying to honestly inform you of their faith, and people who hit you over the head with it. I recently went through a few months of being harassed and mocked in front of others by a hard core christian who couldn't wait to tell me how pathetic my life was because i wasn't like him. Then there's the people inbetween.

13. Wormie2

Feb 22, 1999
    I'll be honest. If I had my way, I'd make it so that religion had to be kept private. No public mention of God or anything relating to it. I don't like. I feel like it's being shoved down my throat in this society. I don't like it, I don't appreciate and it sure as hell isn't furthering your cause with me.

14. cydonia

Jun 6, 2001
    The U.S. was founded on the right to express your religious beliefs. But i think it should be private too, but by choice.

15. GreedoCMZ

GreedoCMZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 13, 1999
    We seem to have the twin religions of atheism and humanism pushed pretty strongly in this country.

16. Jedi_Master201

May 5, 2001
    Good point, Greedo.

17. Ender

Ender Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 12, 1998
    We seem to have the twin religions of atheism and humanism pushed pretty strongly in this country.

Atheism isn't a religion. It doesn't worship anything or rely on faith. Absence of theism is what the "a" stands for.

Unless you want to redifine what a religion is? Wonder why some of the atheist organizations don't get tax breaks then?

Edit: Bald would be a hairstyle. And not believing in ghosts would be a religion as well.

18. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    People being forced to refrain from religion publically is as wrong as the other extreme. That's something out of 1984.

I think people are a little too sensitive sometimes, on both sides of the coin. People should be understanding of different situations and not talk about it with people who don't want to hear about it, and at the same time, people should be understanding of those who do wish to talk about it publically. If it's done on a tasteful manner, there's nothing wrong with it.

19. Jedi_Master201

May 5, 2001
    Is humansim a religion in your opinion, Ender?

20. Ender

Ender Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 12, 1998
    I agree with KnightWriter. I just think it does their religion harm. Especially some of the missionaries I've delt with.

Edit: Is humansim a religion in your opinion, Ender?

Here's the dictionary's definition of it, JM:

hu·man·ism (hym-nzm)
    n.
    A system of thought that centers on humans and their values, capacities, and worth.
    Concern with the interests, needs, and welfare of humans: ?the newest flower on the vine of corporate humanism? (Savvy).
    Medicine. The concept that concern for human interests, values, and dignity is of the utmost importance to the care of the sick.
    The study of the humanities; learning in the liberal arts.
    Humanism A cultural and intellectual movement of the Renaissance that emphasized secular concerns as a result of the rediscovery and study of the literature, art, and civilization of ancient Greece and Rome

I don't see any mention of religion in the definition?

21. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I agree as well. Sometimes, it does more harm than good. Of course, if you cast a large enough net (so to speak), you're bound to get some people who are interested in it.

22. Jorus_Kando

Jorus_Kando Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    Why is it so important for those of you who are religious to convert others?

That's a big generalization. I'm a Christian and I don't seek to convert anyone. Truth is, I don't give a flying flip about 99% of humanity. Convert, don't convert, worship Jebus' pet goldfish for all I care.

If someone asks about Christianity, sure, I'll be glad to share. But unsolicited preaching makes both myself and my listener miserable.

23. Jedi_Master201

May 5, 2001
    We're supposed to go out into the world and preach. However, Jesus told His desciples that if one person doesn't listen to you, shake the dust from your feet and move on.

24. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    Some of it depends on which religion you mean. Both Islam and Christianity expect proselytization (Islam has actually been doing it more successfully than Christianity in the States lately; that's one of the reasons it's the fastest growing religion). I'm not sure about Islam, but I know the theological reason in Christianity is the belief (granted, it's not often consciously believed anymore, but it's still there) that the only way to avoid hell is through Christianity. Therefore, if you care about someone, and want to make sure s/he avoids hell, you try to convert him/her. It's a pretty strong incentive.

(I had this explained to me when I went to a college prof terribly upset because a group of kids from the Boston Church of Christ -- with whom I'd had a decent working academic relationship up until then -- suddenly converged on me and started trying to get me to convert. I felt insulted, because I felt like they'd invited me under false pretenses, but he explained that in their eyes, they were trying to give me a gift. I was able to forgive it, but I must say, I didn't exactly spend a lot of time with them after that.)

As for the comment that religious people should just shut up and stay out of sight, forget it. We have as much right to the airwaves and the internet and public discourse as your average secular humanist. Everyone has the right to try and sell his or her version of life in the open marketplace of ideas. Whether or not you buy is totally up to you. I object to people doing it under false pretenses, but I do not object to them doing it. I actually like the Mormon model of home visits which are explicitly identified as missionary, in which things are explained and information and contacts are given, then people mull it over and decide. Personally, I decided "no," and my Mormon friends and now have a tacit agreement not to discuss it, but it's no big thing. They may think I'm going to hell for all I know, but they don't say it; they know they've given me a fair shake.

Judaism, because it believes that non-Jews are only expected to follow various ethical rules, does not have the proselytizing imperative (though it's wrong to say that Jews discourage convertss -- the rule is to push away with one hand, but to pull forward with the other... trust me, I'm a convert. ;) ). I'd like to see Jews point out to people that, yes, we take converts and welcome them, though. I think it never occurs to a lot of people who are looking for a religion.

I believe that Hinduism also lacks the "saving" imperative, so it also tends not to go around saying, "You must convert," unless of course we're talking about the Hare Krishnas.

If you think that merely talking about G-d (in public even!) means that we're pushing religion at you, then, well... honestly, that's not the religious person's problem, it's yours. I don't especially like the idea of drug legalization, but I support the right of people to discuss it, even right out in the open.

25. Jedi_Master201

May 5, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.