main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

why is Qui-gon never talked about in the OT

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by sithsarbad, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sithsarbad

sithsarbad Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2003
    there might be a thing on this already but sorry if there is. But i would like to read your thoughts.

ps. if there is a thread on this i will lock this

2. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    From a technical stand point, the character of Qui-Gon hadn't been created yet. He was first created when GL started writing the TPM script back in '94.

However, from a story stand point, there's really no reason to mention him in the OT. He's only importaint to Obi-Wan, and Obi-Wan never has the time, (nor does Yoda), to tell the past history. The signifigance of Qui-Gon doesn't play a role in Luke's training, thus he isn't mentioned.

3. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    The answer is as ST said Qui-Gon did not exist back then.

4. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    Well there are a couple of reasons to think about.

1. Qui-Gon Jinn was not yet created.

2. He really was't important to the story in the OT

5. sithsarbad

Feb 2, 2003
    well the reason i brought this up is i was watching an interview with gl on the ot revised copy(not the ones with extra footege) he was saying that he always had a back story. MAybe i missunderstud what he said. He aslo stated that he he had to have a back story like where vader came from who ob-won fited in to all of this. And the clone wars as well!!!!!!!

6. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    He did. He had ideas about what the backstory would be about, but that doesn't mean he can't change his mind about certain things when he's actually writing the script.

7. Anakinisthechosenone

Anakinisthechosenone Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2003
    I think it was b/c well he had been dead for about im guessing 30 years give or take a few byt the time of the OT so most who knew him were dead or had forgottn him adn i agree the only people he really mattered 2 that were still living were Obi-wan and Anakin (who was darth vadar.. so that's pretty self-explainatory) and Obi Wan prob felt no need 2 bring it up since it wasn't relevant to anything that was happening.

8. sithsarbad

Feb 2, 2003
    thanks for your thoghts

9. Jobo

Jobo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2000
    Yeah, as other people he said, he wasn't really important to the OT. I mean, if your uncle died, and then thirty years later you had a kid, would you constantly mention your uncle?
    _jOBO
    EDIT: As Salty said, this is from a story perspective. In real life...

There was no such thing as Qui-Gon Jinn in '77.
    _jOBO

10. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    Im with my fellow posters. There isnt a need to talk about Qui-Gon. He plays an important part of the PT, but from Ben and Yoda's point of view, he isn't important when their training Luke.

11. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I know QGJ didn't exist then, so I'm throwing this out from a story perspective. Qui-Gon was very important to Anakin and Obi-Wan. Maybe Obi-Wan didn't want to explain to Luke that it was Qui-Gon, Obi's Master, that started the whole chain of events that led to the downfall of Anakin.

12. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Okay, taking that story perspective on, maybe Obi-Wan also felt that he didn't need to mention his former master. Anakin didn't train under Qui-Gon, after all, so it was not necessary information.

About the only slight discrepency from the OT is that Obi-Wan mentioned Luke learned from the one that taught him - Yoda. But that gets covered with the 'Yoda teaches the Jedi kids' rule, so it all works out.

13. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Exactly...Yoda trained all Jedi up to a certain point and probably continued to offer advice to other Jedi. Besides...who would you want a student to go to? The greatest Jedi of them all, of course.

14. Jovieve

Jovieve Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    From a story POV, I agree with everyone else. Ben was very vague w/ Luke when discussing the past - rightfully so. Yoda had no time for a walk down memory lane either, he had to get Luke trained. Perhaps in time, Qui-Gon would have been brought up, in nostalgia, but by ROTJ, all who remembered him were dead.

Qui-Gon was pivotal to Anakin's introduction to the Jedi, but not really 'important' in Anakin's life. The kid only knew him for 3 days or so before he got hisself killed. Qui-Gon was more important to Obi-Wan - and Yoda, if you believe EU.

Perhaps from a story POV, Qui-Gon isn't mentioned because by the OT, Qui-Gon's idea that Anakin was the Chosen One to bring balance to the Force, was thrown out by the Jedi - how can they believe it anymore when Vader is massacring their whole Order and anyone else Paplatine tells him to? Perhaps Qui-Gon became persona non grata with the Jedi and blasphemous for them to even mention him? Just a thought.

15. sithsarbad

Feb 2, 2003
    thinks for all your thoughts. But i agree with the guy above me.

16. Darth-Vengence

Darth-Vengence Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    Um......I think that George hadn't thought him up yet until he wrote TPM. So for the AE he's gonna put a holo image of Qui-Gon in Obi-Wan's hovel.

17. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

Simple answer: Qui-Gon had not yet been conceived.

Even if he had, mentioning him would waste valuable time on screem and leave the audiences wondering "Who is this Qui-Gon fella anyway?".

He was and important part of the PT. He had no relevance in the OT. All that had passed.

18. JediMasterKitFisto

JediMasterKitFisto Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 27, 2002
    Maybe they could have said to Luke "If Qui-Gon Jinn never freed your father, you wouldnt be here." or something like that. I think Qui-Gon is more important than what we give him credit for.

19. OBI-GYN_Kenobi

OBI-GYN_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2002
    They couldn't say it because he DIDN'T EXIST YET.

Maybe GL should've had Obi-Wan also mention that he was killed by Darth Maul when he hands Luke the lightsaber that his father left for him?

20. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Well, we all know the real reason why Qui-Gon wasn't mentioned (he hadn't been created when the OT came out), but it's more interesting to see why he wasn't mentioned in terms of the storyline as if it was real.

21. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    Qui-Gon and Lucas had a nasty falling out in the late 70s.

22. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    The storywise reason:

There's no need for him to be talked about. Where in the OT would his mention have any relevance?

23. Phantom-Iam

Phantom-Iam Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2002
    I agree with Vaderbait, but also to answer your question. GL didn't know of every character back when he started the Star Wars films. So there is no mention of any other jedi (mace, the council, qui gon) padme, jar jar, naboo and so on.

24. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Also Obi-Wan may blame himself for Qui-Gonn's death. If they hadn't been seperated prehasp they could have defeated Darth Maul with out them getting injured.

Do you think Ben whould have told Luke that not only did he failed his student Anakin but that he also failed his teacher.

25. Darth_Malt

Darth_Malt Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    Luke really didn't know him and he didn't need to know him.

He was really important to the OT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.