main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why is Vader not able to "feel" that Leia is his daughter?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DuchessJedi, Aug 1, 2013.

?

Why didn't Vader realize Leia was his daughter in A New Hope?

1. The force was so strong in her it blocked him from seeing.

10.0%
  2. She hadn't opened herself to the force yet.

37.5%
  3. He thought his child(children) died with Padme so he never thought to feel for it.

52.5%
  1. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    There is probably a billion Skywalkers in that galaxy.

Sarge likes this.
  2. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Because even the most sacred of human artifacts has moments of plot demand.

3. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 9, 2011
    What if he didn't sense the family connection because he's not her father? Maybe this is all Jerry Springered up and he's Luke's father but Padme also was with someone else, perhaps Obi-wan, and the twins actually have different fathers. It is medically possible and

Ok, nevermind that's too silly even for a retcon solution.

4. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

There is no mystery. Vader had never "sensed" that Luke was his son. He had sensed that Luke was strong with the Force right before the latter blew up the Death Star. Once he learned that the Rebel pilot responsible for the weapon's destruction was a Skywalker from Tatooine, Vader realized that Luke was his son.

If Vader had never really sensed that Luke was his son, why on earth would he sense that Leia was his daughter?

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    And if you go by The Rise & Fall of Darth Vader- even then, he wasn't sure, wondering what the precise nature of the connection was:

Could there have been other Skywalkers from Tatooine? Vader allowed the possibility. After all, it wasn't an entirely uncommon name in the galaxy.

But Anakin and Padme Amidala had been expecting a baby nineteen years ago.

Nineteen standard years.

It's not possible, Vader thought. I killed Padme. The baby died with her.

Not for the first time, he wondered if the Emperor had told him the whole truth about Padme's death. But I remember choking her ... seeing her collapse on Mustafar. I was so angry with her. And yet ...

Luke Skywalker exists.

Vader refused to believe the notorious Rebel's surname was merely a bizarre coincidence. If he had possessed any other name, Vader would not have hesitated to report what he had learned to the Emperor. But for purely selfish reasons, Vader kept the young Rebel's name to himself. To him, Luke Skywalker was more than a mystery to be solved.

He is ... an opportunity. As strong with the Force as he may be, he is an opportunity ... an opportunity for even greater power.

But who is he? Who were his parents? Could he have been Obi-Wan's son? But then why was he named Skywalker and raised by the Lars family? Or was he merely trained by Obi-Wan?

Because Obi-Wan Kenobi, Shmi Skywalker, Owen and Beru Lars, and Padme Amidala were dead, there was only one way Vader could discover the truth. He would have to ask Luke Skywalker himself. All he had to do was find him.

Endor_boy, timmoishere and kainee like this.
  6. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008

As I had stated earlier, Vader only sensed that the Force was strong with Luke, when the latter was about to destroy the Death Star. He never sensed that Luke was his son. He considered the possibility that Luke was his son, when he learned of the name "Skywalker".

7. Cynicalx

Cynicalx Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2013
    Short answer: George Lucas
    Long answer: Because no one was really related in those times.

8. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008

I'm sorry, but that is not the real answer. What makes you think that Vader should have been able to sense that either Luke or Leia was his offspring? The movies never established that he had this ability. He was able that Luke was strong with the Force, when the latter used it during the Battle of Yavin. He only found out that he had a daughter, because he was able to sense Luke's thoughts during their duel on the second Death Star.

9. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Exactly.
    He didn't know Luke existed until he found out the name of the pilot who destroyed the Death Star.
    and as powerful as Sidious was he didn't sense that Luke and Leia existed at all.

10. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I don't think Vader knew until he felt Luke think of her during their fight in Jedi, right?

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup. In Shadows of the Empire, he's reaching out to keep track of Luke, senses another, Luke-like presence- but dismisses it as some kind of echo.

He's pretty incredulous in the novelization, when he senses Luke thinking of her:

He was picking up additional feelings from Luke, now, new crosscurrents of doubt. Remorse, regret, abandonment. Shades of pain. But somehow not directly related to Vader. To others, to ... Endor. Ah, that was it - the Sanctuary Moon where his friends would soon die. Luke would learn soon enough: friendship was different on the dark side. A different thing altogether.
    "Give yourself to the dark side, Luke," he entreated. "It is the only way you can save your friends. Yes, your thoughts betray you, son. Your feelings for them are strong, especially for-"
    Vader stopped. He sensed something.
    Luke withdrew further into shadow. He tried to hide, but there was no way to hide what was in his mind - Leia was in pain. Her agony cried to him now, and his spirit cried with her. He tried to shut it out, to shut it up, but the cry was loud, and he couldn't stifle it, couldn't leave it alone, had to cradle it openly, to give it solace.
    Vader's consciousness invaded that private place.
    "No!" screamed Luke.
    Vader was incredulous. "Sister? Sister!" he bellowed. "Your feelings have now betrayed her too ... Twins!" he roared triumphantly. "Obi-Wan was wise to hide her, but now his failure is complete." His smile was clear to Luke, through the mask, through the shadows, through all the realms of Darkness. "If you will not turn to the Dark Side, then perhaps she will."
    This, then, was Luke's breaking point. For Leia was everyone's last, unflagging hope. If Vader turned his twisted, misguided cravings on her ...
    "Never!" he screamed.

Endor_boy, Yanksfan and kainee like this.
  12. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Still, he should have been able to sense that Leia was strongly Force-sensitive, yet he doesn't. He was in close proximity with her for a long period of time. Other characters are able to sense that. For instance, Qui-Gon senses that Anakin is strong in the Force, that he's a vergence, and that he's the Chosen One.

Also, Palpatine does sense that Skywalker is Vader's son even though he hasn't come in contact with Luke up to that point. He's the one who confirms Vader's suspicions in TESB. If Palpatine can realize this through the Force alone at a great distance, then why couldn't Vader? Perhaps because he's not as powerful with the Force as Palpatine is, so he can't sense something so remote, but Leia was far from remote. She was in the same room with him.

It might make some sense that Vader doesn't sense that he's his son when he's in a dogfight since he was distracted in battle, but he was in the same room with Leia for a long period of time, probably more than once. So, why wouldn't Vader since this about Leia given that he's not even separated by a great distance?

The only explanations I can think of are:
    a) Vader should've sensed she was his daughter (but didn't because GL hadn't thought of it)
    b) Palpatine is a Mary Sue who is so much more powerful in the Force than Vader that they aren't even in the same league.

13. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Perhaps he knew on some level, but couldn't quite put his finger on it.

Remember, Luke spent a LOT more time with her than Vader, and still didn't know. Yes, he tells Obi-Wan "I've always known," but that appears to be more on an unconscious level; it was not something he really grasped, or he would have come out and said it much earlier. Luke doesn't really "connect the dots" regarding his understanding of her being his sister until Obi-Wan brings it up.

Endor_boy, kainee and Yanksfan like this.
  14. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008

Qui-Gon didn't "sense" that Anakin was strong with the Force. He suspected that Anakin was Force strong when the latter told him that he engaged in pod racing. Humans - even the best pilots - do not engage in pod racing. They lack the reflexes to do so, unless they are Force sensitive like Anakin. Once Qui-Gon learned that Anakin was a pod racer, he became interested in the kid and had the latter's blood secretly tested for midichlorians. And once he and Obi-Wan discovered that Anakin had an extremely high midichlorian count, Qui-Gon knew that the latter was strong with the Force. Anakin's performance during the pod race only convince him even further.

Vader discovered that Luke was strong with the Force, when the latter used the Force to sense the right spot to blow up the Death Star. Luke had to use the Force in order for Vader to sense it within him. And that is why I cannot accept the argument that Vader should have automatically sensed that Leia was strong with the Force, let alone that she was his daughter.[/QUOTE]

Arawn_Fenn and kainee like this.
  15. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    If you read the book ANH Vader does hesitate while he mind interrogated Leia. He felt a similar energy to Padme. But he brushed it aside because of his blind ambitions to find the plans to the death star and the rebel base.

They did leave Vader with the impression that the child died with Padme.

On an subconscious level, he knew.

kainee likes this.
  16. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008
    So, I'm supposed to ignore what was shown in the movies and regard only the books as canon . . . especially when the movies and the novels contradict each other?

And when was this novel written?

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The classic A New Hope novelization can't have mentioned Padme, because Padme hadn't been invented at that time.

However, it's possible that there's a new novelization. Haven't heard of it though.

The Death Star novel doesn't say much- only comparing her to Jedi rather than Padme:

"And now, Your Highness, we will discuss the location of your hidden Rebel base." Vader told her.
    As the interrogator droid floated in behind him, Vader saw her defiant expression falter. He felt her fear as the machine approached her.
    Good ...
    He heard the door slam down behind them.

But, after half an hour, despite the truth drugs, electrical shocks, and other inducements he had administered, it was evident that her resistance had not been lowered enough for him to probe her mind. That was surprising.
    She was physically weakened and in considerable pain, but her mind remained shielded. She had revealed nothing.
    Most unusual for anyone except a Jedi to have such control, he mused.
    He kept his anger and frustration under tight rein, letting none of it show. He had other matters that required his attention — for now.
    "We are not done here," he told her. To one of the technicians he said "Have a medic tend to her."
    The technician said, "But isn't she sentenced to die?"
    "When I decide it is time," Vader said. "If she is not alive and well until that moment, I will hold you personally responsible."
    The tech grew visibly paler. Vader swept by him and out of the cell.

The Rise & Fall of Darth Vader does show the interrogation from his point of view- but again, no mention of any similarly to Padme.

Looming over the prisoner, Vader said "And now, Your Highness, we will discuss the location of your hidden Rebel Base."
    There was an electric hum from behind Vader, then a spherical black interrogator droid hovered slowly into the cell. The droid's midsection was ringed by a repulsorlift system, and its exterior was festooned with devices that included an electroshock assembly, sonic torture device, chemical syringe, and lie determinator.
    Leia's eyes went wide at the sight of the droid, and Vader could practically taste her terror. She said "Keep it away from me!"
    Vader seized his prisoner, pinning her arms to her sides while the interrogator droid moved in closer. There was a brief hiss from the droid's injector arm, then Leia cried out and fell backward, slumping against the cell wall with a thud. "You can't ... she said. "You c —"
    "Your Highness," Vader said in his most soothing tone. "Listen to my voice."
    Leia's eyes rolled in their sockets, unable to focus on anything. She stammered, "V-voice ..."
    "That's right. Listen ... I am your friend."
    "Wha — friend?" Leia said, then winced. "No ..."
    "Yes!" Vader insisted, watching her plunge deeper into a hypnotic state. "You trust me, you can confide in me. All your secrets are safe with me."
    "Mmmm?" Leia licked her lips. "Safe?"
    "That's right, safe. You are safe here. You're among friends. You can trust me. I am a member of the Rebel Alliance, like you."
    A look of relief swept over Leia's face as she muttered "Rebel?"
    "What did you do with the Death Star plans, Leia? Where are they? The Rebels need to know! Help us, Leia!"
    "No," she moaned, closing her eyes. "Can't!"
    "It's your duty," Vader urged. "Your duty to our Alliance. Your obligation to Alderaan and to your father. It's your duty to tell us where those tapes are!"
    "Father?" Leia said, her eyes still shut.
    "Yes," Vader said. "Your father commands you to tell us!"
    "Father ... wouldn't."
    Growing impatient, Vader used his own psychic powers to make Leia believe she was in excruciating pain, but after several minutes, he ended the interrogation. He sensed that her willpower was formidable but must have been augmented with certain physical and mental disciplines. She would not be broken easily.
    Leaving the detention cell, he went to report to Grand Moff Tarkin in the Death Star control room. Vader said. "Her resistance to the mind probe is considerable. It will be some time before we can extract any information from her."

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Now, on rereading, I've found that there is a scene in Death Star where Vader is reminded of Padme- but it's not the mind interrogation aboard the Death Star, but their meeting aboard the Tantive IV.

Vader smiled under his helmet as a file of stormtroopers arrived with Princess Leia Organa in tow. It was reported that she had shot a trooper before they stunned her. It was hard to think of her showing such bravery—she was so young, so beautiful, dressed in that simple white gown. She reminded him very much of ...
    No. He would not allow that thought.
    She glared at him, managing to look disdainful even though her hands were cuffed. "Darth Vader," she said, making no effort to hide her contempt. "Only you could be so bold. The Imperial Senate will not sit still for this. When they hear you've attacked a diplomatic—"
    He cut her off: "Don't act so surprised, Your Highness. You weren't on any mercy mission this time. Several transmissions were beamed to this ship by Rebel spies. I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you."
    She kept to her role: "I don't know what you're talking about. I'm a member of the Imperial senate on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan—"
    Vader's patience was abruptly at an end. "You are part of the Rebel Alliance and a traitor!" He gestured furiously at the guards. "Take her away!"
    After she was hustled off, Vader stood motionless, quelling his anger. Anger could be useful, but only when it was anger you brought forth on your own, shaped to your ends. Not when it was provoked by someone else.
    He was somewhat surprised by the intensity of his response. There was something about her he could not put a finger on, something unusual. It troubled him. Organa's mind was not weak; this he could tell even after a cursory attempt to probe it. And there was something oddly familiar about her, something just beyond his grasp ...
    He mentally shrugged it off. It was not important. She would be dead soon in any event; Tarkin had signed the order already. It was only a matter of how much information they could pry from her before that came to pass. She was part of the past. He had the future with which he must deal.
    He began to walk as he considered his next move.
    Next to him the commander said "Holding her is dangerous. If word gets out, it could generate sympathy for the Rebellion in the senate."

PCCViking likes this.
  19. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008

And Vader was supposed to sense that Leia was his daughter in the 1977 movie . . . because of this book, which was published 30 years after the movie?

darth ladnar likes this.
  20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't think a vague impression of similarity counts as "on a subconscious level, he knew" personally. Simply trying to find where the previous poster got the idea.

21. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    ...and an awesome job of it too. Crazy good research, dude!

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I like quoting stuff.

Vader doesn't seem to be able to sense Luke aboard the Falcon- just Obi-Wan. It's not till Luke starts using the Force during the Battle of Yavin, that Vader eventually notices, saying "The Force is strong with this one".

Same principle may apply to Leia.

Arawn_Fenn and kainee like this.
  23. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Not sure, but I am almost done reading Star Wars Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader. In the novel, Bail Organa goes to some lengths to make sure Vader does not come into contact with Leia on Alderaan.

24. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008

Bail merely wasted his time. Vader eventually came into contact with Leia anyway, and wasn't able to sense her connection to the Force or any blood connection to him.

kainee likes this.
  25. Steve Solo

Steve Solo Jedi Youngling

Nov 15, 2016
    1) The Force is growing inside someone, as much as he uses It.
    The more you practizise the Force, the more can you be "sensed" by others.

2) Joining the Dark Side is somewhat closing your heart and sensitivity;
    you have not to be compassionate and mercyful, to be in the Dark Side.

3) Jedi and Sith are not generally skilled in the same way. One can be stronger in some technique than in another,
    depending on their personal attitude, and the mentors he had.
    For example: apparently, Palpatine didn't theach Vader on the "sending thunders" technique, as he did with Dokku.

Young Anakin was able to "sense" a lot of thing.
    Then, Palpatine mentoring closed his heart, to bring him to the Dark Side, so Vader almost lost that power.

In ANH, his heart and senses was so closed, and Leia was not introduced in the Force at all, so he can't recognize her as his daughter.
    Why he did not investigate her mind as Kylo Ren tryed with Rey? maybe he had not been skilled in that. :)

When he was in front of the Millenium Flacon, Luke was too beginner with Force to be felt;
    I think Vader felt mainly the presence of Obi-Wan, and maybe something started to crumble inside him.

Then, during the final attack, he felt the presence of the force in Luke, because Luke was strongly use It to reach the goal.
    Vader was so fascinated by the feel of the White Side of the Force,
    that he didn't noticed that he had the Milleniun Falcon pointing on his ship! :-D

Then maybe someone told him that a Skywalker from Tatooine had shooted the Black Death, so he realized that Luke could be his son.
    In ESB, fronting him, he felt that Luke IS his son, and something else in his heart opened;
    Luke had the hand cutted, and was without the lightsaber; Vader could have killed him so easily, but he didn't.

Then Luke had been skilled by Yoda, he became more powerful in Force, so that Vader can feel his presence also by distance, into another ship.
    But in ROJ, facing his son had a "terrible" effect on Vader, his heart began to open;
    by one side, he can see through Luke's mind, and spot that he had a sister;
    on the other side, he began to feel compassionate with both of them, and turned to be "good" again ("your thoughts are betraying you", said Luke)
    so, when he saw his son being killed by Palpatine, he completed his trip back to the White Side.

Nehru_Amidala likes this.