main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why jump via hyperspace to the Death Star in ROTJ before the shields were down?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by StuntHelmet, Jul 7, 2020.

1. StuntHelmet

StuntHelmet Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2020
    Just finished watching ROTJ for the first time in a while. Can’t figure out why the fleet would jump via hyperspace to the Death Star before confirming the shields were down? Why wasn’t their plan to wait until they received word that the shield was down before attacking?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    It was dependent on timing. You can't rely on there being an open, static-free channel exactly when you need it to contact the fleet at the rendezvous point. Plus, you have to allow for the possibility of the Empire tapping into the signal, or jamming it, or even sending a false signal. Better to plan it out so that the shields would be under Rebel control by a specific time, so that they could take them down the second the fleet arrives. That gives the Empire the least amount of time to react and set up a defense.
    It's a huge risk, but they figured the target was worth the gamble. But, both unfortunately and fortunately, things didn't work out as planned.

Blobofat, LedReader, Sarge and 2 others like this.
  3. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    It was all about timing. The shield was supposed to be down by the time the fleet got there. Basically what @Kenneth Morgan just said now that I have read through his post.

StuntHelmet likes this.
  4. StuntHelmet

StuntHelmet Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2020
    That makes sense, I guess I just don’t understand why the crew on Endor would be unable to communicate with the fleet. Were open channels that hard to come by?

5. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    It's a covert op. You maintain radio silence until and unless you know the enemy won't or can't interfere or listen in.

6. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Exactly. Their miscalculation was assuming the Death Star wasn’t operational.

And wasn’t the Empire jamming the comms?

Lando: “Wait, how can they be jamming us if they don’t know we’re coming...?”

That was also part of the reason. In case the Empire was jamming the comms, best to have the fleet arrive about the same time as the ground force.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  7. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    The Rebel troops on Endor were supposed to turn the shield off at a specific time, which is why Han has them waiting until morning. The plan for the fleet was to come out of lightspeed right as the shields were turned off before the Empire had time to react.

StuntHelmet and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  8. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Can anyone think of an example from PT or OT where Lucas has a character communicate out of or into hyperspace?

The holograms show up mostly in ESB, and those contexts are all stationary. Vader has to get out of the asteroid field to send a transmission. Other Star Destroyers are getting pummeled while in an asteroid belt.

PT, I recall Obi-Wan being stationary when he sends a transmission. One from water planet, one from termite planet (forget names).

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    StartCenterEnd likes this.
  9. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    Obviously this isn't from Lucas but I think it's interesting that in Rogue One they transmit text messages(i.e. not holograms) while in hyperspace with the implication that they can be intercepted and read by the Empire so they have to be careful what they say.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I recall "holograms in hyperspace" cropping up in TCW (which Lucas was involved with) now and again.

11. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    The shields would've probably only been down for a few minutes before they figured out there was probably an attack coming. So it had to be simultaneous in order to make the most of the surprise part of a surprise attack.

Finn and Rose also do it in TLJ when talking to Poe on their way back from Crait. Maybe not a hologram, but they still were communicating thru hyperspace.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    BlackRanger likes this.
  12. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005
    "Hey, kid. Don't overthink it." ;) (this is my poor attempt at a pretend Han quote)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    Sarge likes this.
  13. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    FTR, I assume most will know this; but in my post just above I meant "on their way back from Canto Bight-not Crait. [face_tee_hee]

14. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    Although TCW and the ST now debunk this, I had always assumed that when you were in hyperspace, you were essentially in another dimension and unable to communicate with the outside world. Did the old EU refer to hyperspace as "subspace".

I also wrongly assumed that you couldn't interact with "real space" while in subspace" with the exception of massive gravitational pulls. Only things like black holes, stars, and those ships that create gravity wells could effect you while in hyperspace.

I'm batting 0 for 2 at this point.

Darth__Lobot, Iron_lord and Sarge like this.
  15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    To be fair, the Legendsverse may have had hints in those directions until TCW debunked them. I think the earliest source to actually say "Even space dust affects you in hyperspace, by reducing your top speed" was the Lando Calrissian novels - but not every source may have taken the same tack.

Subspace exists in SW (Legends and newcanon) - but mostly in the context of communications - "subspace radio".

whostheBossk and Princess_Tina like this.