main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why Obi Wan still use Jedi tunics in hiding?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Lord Sith Harloxzz, May 14, 2021.

1. or why he still use the name Kenobi and hiding Luke with the name Skywalker? imo when i watch the movies Ben looks like he lived there more than hiding ESB retcon a New Hope and now Vader is Luke father so Kenobi now hide Luke but in the PT we know that Vader home planet is Tatooine and the Jedi robes are the uniform that Kenobi uses in the OT dont matter how many retcons will be dont make sense why Vader never go and search for Kenobi to defeat him or why Obi Wan still use the name Kenobi

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2021
  2. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    Out of Universe answer is all those things weren't thought lf when Star Wars was first made...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DarthKegs and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  3. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    Darth Vader did look for Obi-Wan he just never found any evidence that could lead him to Tatooine. And Jedi robes just look like robes, which are commonly worn.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    KyleKartan and ThisIsTheWay like this.
  4. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Because they cut the budget and removed Obi-Wan's planned Tatooine moisture farmer outfit.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  5. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    If you notice more carefully, Obi-Wan's robes matches with the Tatooine moist farmers clothes, so naturally he would blend in easily with the crowd and undetected.

As for hiding himself and Luke on Tatooine, it is simply the biggest troll move that Kenobi ever pulled off on Vader. Yeah, he knew his apprentice hated Tatooine so much, he wouldn't even check to see if Kenobi is hiding there in the first place.

And when Vader found out the truth, let's just say he was incredibly pissed off that he didn't check that place sooner.

6. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Most of these things come out of ANH in the first place which obviously was before things were reformed into the saga we know.

Tatooine was Anakin's home planet not Vader's. Tatooine was also Obi-Wan's home planet at that point so from the start Obi-Wan was hiding on his own home planet. Presumably Vader didn't know that was the case since Obi-Wan and Anakin left it long before otherwise you'd think he would search for him there.

With no knowledge of Obi-Wan's whereabouts in an entire galaxy then the use of the name Kenobi makes some sense though why not change the last name as well as the first? As for Luke that is easier since in that case Luke isn't in hiding because Vader isn't looking for him which is still the case in the saga. It works out better that Obi-Wan isn't from Tatooine because then why would he even be there?

As for the "Jedi" robes that's simple because robes and garb of that kind are worn all over the galaxy and Tatooine.

In-narrative it's the Outer Rim which wasn't in the Empire or Republic before that and is controlled by the Hutts. What possible connection could there be for Obi-Wan to be somewhere that he only ever went once?

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    And the in-universe reason why the Jedi chose garments that, looks-wise, match those worn over the galaxy, was as a sign of humility and solidarity with the people.

8. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    They're the monks of the GFFA, so their clothes have a simple, earthy look that won't stand out.

9. imo Obi Wan never let his home and rarely go out and when he does he only watch Luke
    just like Yoda he exile himself from the world

10. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    Actually, Owen Lars' clothes reminded me of the Jedi tunic.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    EU sources say that Ben (as we old-time fans know him) would leave his hut and wander the deserts alone. He'd help travelers in need, and occasionally pick up supplies, but otherwise rarely sought the company of others.

12. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    All Jinn needed to bend in was a poncho.

BlackRanger likes this.
  13. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Funnily enough TCW has Kenobi wear armor with bold Jedi emblems on it during most of the conflict...so next to that, yeah, he was going inconspicuous!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    If we're going to get another SE of Star Wars they should add Obi-Wan wearing his old Jedi/Republic emblem shoulder/torso armour to everything after they leave Tatooine.

15. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Well, from the way he is dressed, he doesn´t look all that different from Wioslea... easy to mistake them, aside from small details, like the amount of eyes and the antennae :D

16. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I wonder if the Obi-Wan series might shed some light on this concept-or perhaps spin that assumption upside down on us!

Anyway, I just figure Obi Wan had no reason to change. Perhaps he couldn't bring himself to let go of that bit of his past-or cos it's the only kind of outfit he's ever known. Heck, maybe it's just cos he liked them! Honestly the Jedi's robes always looked quite comfortable to me! :p

17. MaybeTheHutt

MaybeTheHutt Jedi Youngling

Apr 17, 2023
    I'm still wondering why he couldn't remember ever owning a droid... Good point! I saw Star Wars* in 1978, here in the UK, Great Britain and England (I like to get around) and at ten, it was... an experience. This was a time when Space Invaders would have seemed like something from the future. Because it still WAS in the future. And suddenly, a kid from Sussex is on Tattooine seeing gritty, realistic-looking scenes from another Galaxy - (Apart from the office chairs in the Death Star and the 'Made in Britain' syringe on the Probery Droid) and you have to appreciate it was the 'WHOAH' moment of my Lifetime. I had NEVER considered how odd it was for Kenobi to retain his surname - Staying on Tattooine is obvious; he was watching over Luke from a distance. Anyway, forgive the ramblings - It's breakfast o'clock here and I'm always like this early on. *Anyone referring to 'Star Wars' as 'A New Hope' will be terminated, IMMEDIATELY!

Sarge likes this.
  18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    He technically never did. The droids and ships he (and all Jedi) happens to use/work with are supplied to him by the Republic.

19. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    One retcon leads to another and to another and to another. Of course none of them makes sense, but the original movie in its original context makes perfect sense:

1. Kenobi wears the clothing typical of the men of Tatooine. Those are not Jedi robes.

2. Luke's father (last name Skywalker) was killed long ago by Darth Vader, who could not care less about Luke. It was perfectly natural for Luke's aunt and uncle to look after him after his father's death. Luke was not hiding on Tatooine, nor was his identity being kept secret.

3. Kenobi indeed lives on Tatooine. He is not hiding, and no one is looking for him.

:)

oierem and Sarge like this.
  20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Even the original unmodified Star Wars movie on its own has hints that Obi-Wan is in hiding.

"I was once a Jedi Knight, the same as your father"
    "A young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil, helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights"

So Obi-Wan is no longer openly a Jedi Knight - because the Jedi were, and are, hunted.

Sarge likes this.
  21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    You're calling that a retcon based on what?

Ben Kenobi's robes were designed specifically to evoke the samurai/monk look, which is what the Jedi are to begin with. So his robes are and have always been Jedi robes.

The fact that the Jedi adopt unassuming clothes on purpose is not a problem and is not something that necessarily makes them identifiable as Jedi to the galaxy at large.

There's nothing nonsensical about this, or Vader being Luke's father, or Obi-Wan being in hiding in the context of ANH.

22. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    He blends in with ordinary Tatooine folk. Even Owen dresses rather similarly, so there's no need to "disguise" himself.

There are plot holes to the whole "hiding from the Empire" plan, especially concerning the twins (giving Luke the name Skywalker was just dumb), but this pretty much answers itself if you just look at the environment on Tatooine.

23. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    Tough talk from some who seems to have just joined up as of Monday. :cool: Welcome to theforce.net!

24. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Well, we may safely assume that Skywalker, while not as common as Antilles, is not an unknown name, unless Shmi was the absolute last Skywalker in the entire galaxy. Plus, a backwater like Tatooine may not be as strict in keeping records, and sharing them with the Empire, as they could or should be, while the Royal House of Alderaan would smoothly deflect any questions regarding Leia. As for Luke, beyond maybe some guy who knew podracing stats asking if he was related to that kid who won the Boonta Eve race about thirty years ago, I don't see any major hassles. And I'm sure, in both cases, pretty convincing fake documentation could be provided.
    Finally, why would the Emperor and Vader be looking for kids who, so far as they know, were never born? They've got more than enough to deal with, as it is.

Sarge likes this.
  25. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    There's nothing to say Skywalker is a common name. And regardless, there's absolutely no reason to have one of the kids take on that name, along with being from Anakin's home planet, being raised by Anakin's step-family, while also bearing physical resemblance to Anakin.

If the plan is to hide Luke, in a time where Jedi are still being hunted, and then later to train him as a Jedi / help defeat the Empire (meaning he'll inevitably be noticed by the Empire), letting him take and keep the name Skywalker is, objectively, a bad decision. Just having Luke join the Imperial Academy would've no doubt raised flags.