main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why, oh why did they have to kill Qui-Gon?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Master_Sith_XX, Jul 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Sith_XX

Master_Sith_XX Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2003
    Qui-gon was a great Jedi and they just had to have him die, I mean he was better than Maul and it was obvious. If he can calmly meditate temporarly shielded from a sith as fierce as Maul, HE SHOULDN'T HAVE DIED! >:eek:

2. gator

gator Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 20, 2003
    yeah, i was sad to see qui-gon die. i think he was pretty exhausted by the time maul got him one-on-one.

3. Master_Sith_XX

Master_Sith_XX Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2003
  4. SSD_Lusyanka

SSD_Lusyanka Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2003
    Simple, if he didn't. Anakin would not have turned to the Dark Side. Qui Gon was very experienced with training Padawans. He would definintly be more strict then Obi Wan. And besides, if he didn't. Obi couldn't have done an awsome 1 on 1 with Maul.

5. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Qui-Gon needed to die. He is very importaint to the story of TPM, but AOTC and Episode III needed to focus on Obi-Wan and Anakin. Besides that, I believe Qui-Gon's death will play an importaint role in how Obi-Wan and Yoda obtain the ability to retain their identities after death.

6. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    ^Yup. He's the one to find out how to stick around after death.

Not that this seemed terribly important to me, but what the heck...

Jaws: Ridding the world's oceans of slutty hippies and annoying kids since 1975. Bite/ouch

7. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    Obi-Wan was plenty strict with Anakin, as he needed to be. Anakin still would have turned, but continuity already records that it was Obi-Wan who trained him.

8. BecJedi

BecJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jul 27, 2003
    Couldn't he have just been...badly wounded, or something? And then Obi would have to train Ani, yet Qui would still be alive...okay, I'm grasping at straws here, but I miss Qui! :_|

9. Obi-Ewan

Jan 24, 2000
    If he were badly wounded, he could still have trained Anakin. Look at Yoda. Besides, the story has it that the Empire hunted down and killed all the Jedi, other than Obi-Wan and Yoda. Qui-Gon doesn't appear in the old trilogy, so even if he survived TPM, he'd have to be killed later on.

10. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Because the PT follows the same formula as the OT: The old mentor (Obi-Wan) of the young hero (Luke) dies in the first episode, by the hand of the Sith apprentice (Vader).

11. BecJedi

Jul 27, 2003
    Agreed. He was in TPM for a reason, and in the end, he had to die. But it still would have been nice if he didn't. ;)

12. ObiWan234

ObiWan234 Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2003
    he lasted so short though, he was a good charactor i would have liked to see him in the next movies :(
    but Count Dooku made it sound as if Qui Gon would have joined him for sure

13. BecJedi

Jul 27, 2003
    NO WAY! Qui would have never joined Dooku. He was someone who bent the rules, he wouldn't go so far as to become a sith lord! Being one with the living force, it goes against what he believes.

14. KosmicKnine

KosmicKnine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    but Count Dooku made it sound as if Qui Gon would have joined him for sure

Dooku was also trying to convince Obi-Wan to join him against Sidious, and what better way to do that than to attempt to make Obi-Wan think that Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan's former mentor, would join Dooku were he in Obi-Wan's possition. Did Dooku think he could have convinced Qui-Gon to join him had Qui-Gon still been alive, possibly. Did that really matter to the situation at had (re: convincing Obi-Wan), nope, not really.

15. winter_chili

winter_chili Jedi Master star 5

Nov 6, 2002
    Qui-gon isnt really gone! he went up to qui gon heaven! Where you can follow your own code! and uh theres a truck made of ham that drives by and all the little quigons can chase after it if they feel like it

16. jEdI_kEnObI80

jEdI_kEnObI80 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2003
  17. BecJedi

Jul 27, 2003
    Nice theory! Hmm...Qui-Gon heaven...I'd like to go there! ;)

18. yodascourgeofthesith

yodascourgeofthesith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2003
    Qui-gon was a great Jedi and they just had to have him die, I mean he was better than Maul and it was obvious. If he can calmly meditate temporarly shielded from a sith as fierce as Maul, HE SHOULDN'T HAVE DIED! >:eek:

He had to meditate to regain some energy. He was whipped.

As far as him being better than Darth Maul. Not by a long shot.
    Darth AMul had his number way back on Tattooine.
    Maul totaly dominated both Qui-gon and Obiwan.
    He dictate the location, flow and tempo of the entire battle. Qui-gon only got in 1 weak shot. He was completely overmatched against Maul.

Besides The stories really are following almost the exact same format as the original films.

19. Obi-Ewan

Jan 24, 2000
    NO WAY! Qui would have never joined Dooku. He was someone who bent the rules, he wouldn't go so far as to become a sith lord! Being one with the living force, it goes against what he believes.

Ah, but no one but Sidious knew that Dooku was a Sith--except maybe Yoda. If Qui-Gon didn't know that Dooku had joined the Sith, he might easily be convinced that leaving the Republic is the best way to escape the corruption. Joining the separatists, like promoting Anakin, would just be another one of those things that sounded like a good idea at the time.

20. Cometgreen

Cometgreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2002
    I believe that Qui-gon wouldn't have joined Dooku, but he wouldn't have stopped Dooku either. He would understand Dooku's reasons and perhaps agree with it, but I feel that Qui-gon is the kind of guy who would create change from the inside. He would never leave the Jedi Order; he'd try to reason with them and convince them of the truth of the Republic.

If he knew Dooku was a sith, he wouldn't hesitate to stop Dooku.

Cometgreen

21. ObiWan234

ObiWan234 Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2003
    probally he wouldnt, but it would have been interesting to see his point of view of dookus reasons, it can go on and on like, if Qui-Gon did support dooku would Obi wan follow? i doubt he would if thats how it were to turn out obi wan is wiser, Qui Gon said it himself.

22. Qui-GonDoug

Qui-GonDoug Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2003
    I wonder why he died all the time. I miss the man. He was awesome.

23. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Qui-Gon Jinn, like it or not, had to die because he was the only person who might have prevented Skywalker's turn to the dark side had he lived. The only thing that stood between Qui-Gon training Anakin was a red blade of a Sith lightsaber. GL had to take away that possibility since it could have been the only one. So, Master Qui-Gon was killed off.

24. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    With any luck, Qui-Gon will have a small comeback in episode III. ;)

25. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    It was an attention-getter !!!! wasn't it? My mouth dropped to my seat when that happened. Talk about a sense of loss and grief in my heart. :eek: :eek: :eek: :( :( :_| :_|

It gave a deeper purpose for Obi Wan, and introduced Anakin to the power of the dark side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.