main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why, oh why did they have to kill Qui-Gon?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Master_Sith_XX, Jul 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Sith_XX

Master_Sith_XX Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2003
    I still don't think he should have died. But it's only fair to point out his failure with Xanatos, his padawan before Obi-Wan. He, like Obi-Wan does, is trying to make up for a previous failure.

2. YV_Hunter

YV_Hunter Jedi Youngling

Aug 5, 2003
    He was too week a character. And a good guy always has to die (if only it were luke...)

3. JayistheManNB

JayistheManNB Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2003
    I just have to bring some attention to the fight scene between Qui and Darth Maul. Right at the end where Qui Gon dies, it he give darth a funny look, I dont know what this is. It may be that Qui lets himself die, as if he IS part of the dark side. You really have to watch the fight scene to see what I mean, it just give me a weird feeling when I see it.

4. Darth_Plaza

Darth_Plaza Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2003
    I think the "look" Qui-Gon gives right before he dies is more of a knowing look. He sees the big picture, he knows Anakin will fulfill the prophecy, so maybe he knows his time is up, and accepts it.

5. youngvader

youngvader Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 21, 1999
    Otherwise, Obi-wan would have stayed in his master's shadow and he would not have been Anakin's master. Qui-gon would have trained him.

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Right, they had to move Obi-Wan out of Qui-Gon's shadow and into Anakin's ;)

-sj loves kevin spacey

7. Master_Sith_XX

Master_Sith_XX Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2003
    He could have stabbed Qui-gon had some bounty hunters grab him and tie him up until he was done training Anakin and then let him out.

8. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Because it was the first movie in a trilogy, and the Teacher always has to die. ;)

9. Onizuka

Onizuka Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2003
    Well, because he is not supposed to die. That's why he has to die for a dramatic necessity like Obi-Wan has to die in episode IV.

10. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    i think it would have been neat for Qui-Gonn to live, join the council and show us some of the things that might be in the Jedi Trials, with Obi-Wan facing them. Then, Obi-Wan earn the title Jedi Knight, take Anakin as his Padawan. Yoda said this even after the council had said no. "Skywalker's fate will be decided later." They knew he'd have to be trained. If Qui-Gonn was moved to the Council after Obi-Wan passed the trials, he could be the anchor for Anakin being trained, without him having to die in TPM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.