main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Why Sith are no longer allowed to go drinking- updated every weekend

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by darthhelinith, Apr 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    I think he was more concerned with escaping a temple full of Sith, with all his limbs intact [face_laugh]
    It took a lot for me to hold my tongue at that comment :p
    ;)

Well here it is, the last chapter. Alas, all good things have to come to an end.
    It remains for me to say thank you all for your kind comments and joining me for the ride, as I reread every chapter of this story each Friday evening, in preparation to publish. It made me laugh and I hope it made you laugh too. [:D]

Originally this fic ended with Helinith finding the holocron in her bedside table. Although that was amusing in itself, there was something not quite right, and it took me a while to realise that what was missing was meaningful character development. After that lovely bit in chapter 4 with Helinith talking about mistake(s) she had made, the original ending denied her any opportunity to exercise this new insight. How disappointing. However, when I realised that she was still ultimately stuck in her apartment, the idea for the last part of the story quickly fell into place. I hope you will agree that this ending is far better.

Chapter 7

Helinith wasn’t surprised when she suddenly lost the use of limbs yet again, she was getting used to it. She tried to look as unconcerned and as casual as possible as Taruk floated her past the concerned onlookers. Quite a crowd had gathered outside his apartment at the sounds of a lightsaber fight going on within it. He brushed them all aside with a wave of his hand, confident in his own superiority. He had been given the perfect opportunity to remove a thorn in the Emperor’s side and continue to curry favour within the upper ranks of the Dark Empire.

It was in this way that Darth Helinith met with the Emperor in the throne room for the second time in two days. Lord Taruk strode into the throne room with purpose and Helinith floated in behind him. The Imperial Majesty was on his throne, deep in conversation with Darth Apollyon (his servant and hand), but at the sight of the pair of Sith walking towards him, he stopped and waved Apollyon away. She turned on her heel and faded away into the darkness behind the throne. Helinith was a little disturbed by that, but she didn’t have time to ponder it because Taruk was speaking.

“My Lord, I have caught this Sith witch, who I believe was banished by your decree, trying to make an attempt on my life.”

The form of Darth Dreadwar turned its hood to regard Helinith and Helinith felt like a bucket of cold water had been dumped on her. She tried to shake her head to clear it, but finding that it was still stuck in place, she snorted instead. The hood continued to regard her, but the moment past. The fabric rippled softly as Emperor spoke.

“Indeed Lord Taruk. And what would you have me do?”

“Execution. Please permit me the honour.” Taruk bowed to the throne and Helinith groaned inwardly. Why did everyone have an obsession with killing her? She tried to shake this from her mind and took a breath. She needed to ready herself, drawing focus, nervous though she was.

The Emperor seemed to be taking his time and Helinith felt like her heart was in her mouth before he finally spoke again.

“What do you think of this Lord Insipid? Your former apprentice, having been banished, has now been accused of attempted murder.”

Darth Insipid stepped out from one of the alcoves on the edge of the room and walked up to the odd contingent in front of the throne. Helinith breathed a sigh of relief. She tried to catch his eye but Insipid’s focus was on the Emperor, seeming to ignore his former apprentice. He bowed low in respect.

“Imperial Majesty, I believe those accused of such serious crimes are given a chance to defend themselves.”

Dreadwar said nothing but waved a sleeve at Helinith. The same cold sensation came over her as before and she was released from her frozen state. Blinking in surprise, it took her a moment to gain her composure. She knew the Emperor was powerful but to be able to completely negate another Sith Lord’s force powers…

“Speak.” Grated the faceless being. Helinith took a deep breath and began.

“Lords of the Sith, I stand before you in disgrace. I was given charge of a Sith holocron and during a night of heavy drinking, it was thought that the item had been lost in the bowls of Couracant. I was rightly banished until I could retrieve and return with the object in tow.” She paused for a breath, trying to not take her eyes off the Emperor. She mustn’t let her fear control her.

“In the process of my investigation, I discovered two things. Not only was the holocron within the Sith temple, but that it had been stolen by Lord Taruk. This Sith Lord standing before you-“ Here Taruk tried to interject but with a raised sleeve from Dreadwar fell silent-“This Sith Lord standing before you broke into my apartment while I was away, jumping from my balcony to his, smashing my veranda doors in the process. He stole both the Sith holocron and a Jedi holocron from my apartment, which I had also acquired in my drunken state and meant to gift to the Emperor (though owing to my inebriation, promptly forgot). Naturally, when I got back and realised what had happened, I broke into Lord Taruk’s apartment and took these back. Unfortunatly before I could come to you and report my findings, the council member caught me.” At this, Helinith pulled out both holocrons and held them out. Dreadwar didn’t move but Darth Apollyon stepped forward, reappearing from the darkness behind Dreadwar, to carefully descend the set of steps in front of the throne and take the holocrons from Helinith’s outstretched hands. She ascended the steps again, holding out the objects to her master. Dreadwar regarded them in turn, studying each carefully.

“Is this true Lord Taruk?”

“Of course not Emperor, it’s just a child’s story. Someone trying to cover their tracks.”

Helinith wasn’t interested in Taruk’s complaints. She had laid out her hand, made her move. The question was, would Insipid and the Emperor follow it? A line of sweat trickled down the side of her brow, but her face was set in a determined mask.

Dreadwar waved Apollyon away and turned his attention back to the group in front of the throne. “Two very different stories. But which is the correct one?”

Insipid shifted slightly. “My Emperor, one of those in front of us is known for her silly antics, but has never been accused of trying to usurp and understands their place in this utopia you are creating for us. The other”-and here he waved a hand at Taruk-“the other murdered the council member he replaced in cold blood and has been previously accused of the attempted assassinations of both Vassago and Viscretus, although there was never enough evidence to impeach him.”

The faceless being seated on the throne turned back to Helinith. “What would you have me do, Lady Helinith? How do you believe my judgement should fall?”

She swallowed bravely and met the non-existent gaze. “For the attempted murders and theft, as well as failing to ask permission to approach the throne when he first entered the hall”- Taruk’s eyes widened with fear- “Lord Taruk should be removed from office and his place on the council be given to someone who is worthy of the title, perhaps Lord Insipid. Darth Taruk has shown he has no loyalty nor respect for the Dark Empire through his actions and should be executed.”

Helinith had wondered why Taruk hadn’t tried to interject again. As she now looked at him, she realised he couldn’t- he was frozen in much the same way that she had been when she had been brought in. He looked ridiculous in his pyjamas (tiny and weak) surrounded by fully clothed Sith. She couldn’t help but chuckle to herself.

The chilling gaze of Dreadwar fell upon Taruk, whose face had gone pale.

“Lord Taruk,” the Emperor’s tone echoed with no emotion, “for your crimes against the throne and empire, you are hereby removed from office. You are stripped of your titles and condemned to death.” The Emperor turned to Helinith’s former master “Lord Insipid, please do the honours.”

Ordinarily, Darth Insipid would have taken his time with an execution. There was little he enjoyed more and he was honoured to have been asked by the Emperor to carry it out. However, he was tired. He had been summoned by the Emperor in the middle of the night with no reason given, had sat in an alcove on a cold bench for two hours trying to resist sleep, and it was now fast approaching four am in the morning. Insipid didn’t break eye contact with Dreadwar, he didn’t lift a finger. He didn’t need to, as Lord Taruk’s neck snapped and the lifeless body fell to the floor in front of the throne. All three Sith regarded it for a time.

“Apologies my Emperor, I usually am showier, but it is the middle of the night.”

“There will be plenty others for you to make an example of soon enough.” Dreadwar’s hooded cloak suddenly turned towards Helinith again. “I cannot give a space on the council to any I choose. A Kaggath will be held to determine who will fill the recently vacated space on the dark council. I sincerely hope Lord Insipid will put himself forward.”

Insipid bowed low towards the throne. “I look forward to it.”

“As for you Lady Helinith, for retrieving the Sith holocron you are welcomed back into the Dark Empire.”

The empty cloak leant back in the throne. Apollyon reappeared next to Dreadwar, the holocrons nowhere to be seen. Her voice was little more than a whisper. “Consider yourselves dismissed.”

--

Helinith couldn’t stop grinning as she walked out of the throne room and accompanied Lord Insipid back to his quarters. “Did you see how I got him? I totally out talked him and I won! Against a member of the Dark Council!”

Darth Insipid watched as Helinith bounded around him, amused. “Don’t be too quick to go and practice your new skill on the other Sith Lords of the council. I hope you don’t think you just managed to fib to the Emperor. He knew exactly what you were doing. As did I.”

“But you still went with it.”

“I saw an opportunity and I took it. And admittedly that opportunity was unexpected and well presented, but I would have figured something out soon enough, with or without your help. Either way, Darth Taruk was not well liked and you gave our Emperor a very convenient way to get rid of him.”

“Yes but I’ve just pretty much given you a Kaggath on a silver platter. And you can enter it, win and become the newest member of the dark council. You’re welcome!” She hummed happily to herself, bouncing on her heels for a while before she froze suddenly, troubled by something.

“Damnit! My door is still melted.” She grinned sheepishly at Insipid. “Can I sleep on your sofa for a few hours?”

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    Sinrebirth and Findswoman like this.
  2. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Excellent. And I believe I would much enjoy reading any further adventures of Darth Helinth, if you should choose to write them.

3. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    =D= That's my girl. Talking her way out of a Sith death sentence [face_laugh]
    *awaiting more Helenith stories *

Findswoman and Sinrebirth like this.
  4. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    Fab to hear :D I'll be sure to let you know of any future fics.

I hope to be able to deliver. I am currently awaiting on further plot bunnies and some intensive DRL to pass.
    The idea for this fan fiction came from trying to figure out how to set up a meeting between Darth Helinith and my husband's Jedi character. When I figured alcohol would have to be involved, it pretty much wrote itself. [face_laugh]

Findswoman likes this.
  5. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Well played, Helinith, very well played indeed! =D= Wow, she has not only mooie, mooie gumption but also one impressive gift of gab to be able to talk herself out this kind of sentence—AND turn the tables so that the unsavory Taruk gets hid undoubtedly just desserts, too. (Though, echoing Insipid, it’s perhaps lucky for her that the man she had the run-in with was the very one that the Emperor was hoping to get rid of anyway!) That kind of gab gift is another thing one doesn’t often see in Sith characters, so it’s another thing that adds to the fun of Helinith’s character. And I love the way Insipid backs his former apprentice up—in a way, he’s the one who saves Helinith’s bacon here by giving her the chance to speak in her own defense to begin with. He definitely would be deserving of that now-vacant council position, and of course it’s great to see Helinith commended for all her hard work in recovering not one but two holocrons. Now, I wonder what they’ll do with them now that they’ve got them... or is that another story? [face_thinking]

Thanks again for sharing this delightfully Sithy romp! =D= If you at any point ever have further stories with these characters, I too would love to see them. :)

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    darthhelinith likes this.