main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Why Snoke IS Darth Plagueis

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Formidious, Dec 19, 2015.

?

Do you think Snoke will be revealed as Darth Plagueis?

1. Yes

274 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

274 vote(s)
    50.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DiditAllForTheWookie

DiditAllForTheWookie Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2001

Yet if you went out and interviewed 100 random people on the street, you might get 2-3 who can recall who Darth Plagueis is. Sorry, YOU are wrong. They don't make movies for nerd subsets. Sorry.

2. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    More on...

...this awesome topic in the "Andy Serkis is Snoke..." thread if you want to become super badass.

3. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Character's musical themes play a big part in Star Wars. The similarities of the music between the opera scene in ROTS and Snoke's first appearance in TFA is not a coincidence, it's a clue to a part of Snoke's history.

4. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I WANT TO BELIEVE even though it's highly unlikely. But still a tantalising and entertaining conspiracy theory.

It's a sweet idea. A bit fanwanky and 'small galaxy', but a sweet idea.

Regarding the lack of awareness of Darth Plagueis in the wider world:
    It wouldn't have to be addressed in long winded PT style exposition, it could be revealed in a short sit down conversation with like with Ben in ANH, or with a force ghost like in ESB or RotJ, or a short walk and talk with a bad guy like in RotJ. Plagueis doesn't have to be named explicitly, either, just that he was the former master of the emperor, long believed dead. Or Snoke could tell someone that he's gone by many names over the years and just drop that one in. It could tie things up quite neatly, and legitimise both Snoke and Plagueis.

Regarding Snoke not looking very Muun-ish:
    Did Palpatine look very human after that business with Windu and the force lightning?

5. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    Yep, the majority won't know about him, I said that before.

However, you are dismissing the fact that Plagueis is Emperor's former master. While Plagueis won't ring a bell for most people, Emperor's Master would make people curios and make him seem intimidating. Someone, might make the connection from ROTS, but regardless of that, the big thing here is for Snoke to be Palps master, who cares about the name.

And I like that option more than a random Force user. Of course, they can make him awesome even if he is just a random force user. After all, we didn't know Emperor's backstory in ROTJ and he still looked extremely threatening.

6. Roger Goldleader

Roger Goldleader Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 1, 2000
    Saw TFA today. Did I mis-hear, or was Snoke referred to as "she?"

7. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    snoke isn't plagueis but that doesn't mean they wont borrow things from his character to embody snoke. I want snoke to stay dead it ***** on the whole palpatine is the strongest sith to ever live if plagueis is still running around

8. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    Exactly. Your average audience member would easily understand the power of the Emperor's former master outsmarting him and using what was left of Sidious's Empire to carry out his own vsion.

TheOneX_Eleazar and V-2 like this.
  9. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015

Say what?

10. DiditAllForTheWookie

Apr 2, 2001
    Except that there is absolutely no need for them to reach so far to incorporate a character no one cares about. Frankly, to the average person I don't think that "Palpatine's master" carries as much weight as you think it does.

11. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    It won't be a deal breaker anyway, but I think that the main villain being the master of the most powerful and evil character shown in the saga looks more threatening than him being a random Force user.

12. DiditAllForTheWookie

Apr 2, 2001

He doesn't need to be random and probably won't be. I have my thoughts on the direction they are going with this. I don't think the "Knights of Ren" and the Order's cultish devotion to Snoke is an accident. I think playing up the Unknown Regions aspect will probably be important.

There is no need for them to raise a dead character that was a Prequel afterthought.

13. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    Let's see, Snoke is some random villain or the Emperor's former master? Your casual viewer would be more intrigued by someone who could have outsmarted Sidious as opposed to simply here's this random new villain for you. It would take one sentence to reveal Snoke's past as a former Sith Lord. So to claim it would take more effort to make Snoke be Plagueis compared to making him a random villain, I think is actually the opposite.

TheOneX_Eleazar and TheFett18 like this.
  14. Darth Philosophical

Darth Philosophical Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 8, 2015
    Here's the score that plays during Palpatine's story about Darth Plagueis in ROTS:

Here's Snoke's theme from TFA:

Too similar to be coincidental.

15. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    It rhymes!

16. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Damn, beaten to it.

But yeah, clearly a development of the theme established in RotS, which was a development of the theme established in RotJ. This really implies a Palpatine connection, unless it's just a general StarWarsian 'dark master' theme now.

ETA: Also it contains the theme from Lynch's Dune. Not sure what that implies.

17. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    Lol except one says aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh and the other say ooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhh

Darth Lurker, WatTamborWoo and ShaneP like this.
  18. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    There's a chance Snoke is not Plagueis, but now more signs say otherwise.

19. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Well, Williams re-uses themes. For instance he re-used the Duel of Fates theme throughout the PT .

20. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    Snoke reminded me of The Wizard of Oz. He had this huge hologram image and a hugely inflated title "Supreme leader", will the truth be he's really 2ft tall and it's all bull**** and bluster? Hence the "he only want you for your power" line to Kylo Ren from Han.

21. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    It's left open, so far... What they shouldn't do is a big 'I am...Darth Plagueis!' reveal, because the general audience knows nothing of the name. They can do Plagueis if there is a build-up to it. The name could mean something to Luke, if he's around.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  22. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    Why would he need a nickname? I would imagine that most people alive during the TFA time period would not know anything about the guy, so why would he need to hide behind a code name? Heck, even the characters in the PT era seem to have no idea who Plagueis is.

23. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Plagueis was a code name.

24. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    There are no Sith in this film. He's a new character. He doesn't look Muunish. The music at the Opera had nothing to do with DP.

Now to be tongue in cheek, he is DP's clone and DP's soul escaped his body and took over his clones's body. :p

25. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    My impression he's a weird oddball Force or quasi-Force character they chalked up like Maz. So they recreated the Emperor and Yoda.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.