main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Why Snoke IS Darth Plagueis

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Formidious, Dec 19, 2015.

?

Do you think Snoke will be revealed as Darth Plagueis?

1. Yes

274 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

274 vote(s)
    50.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    As I said earlier, the only way Snoke is revealed to have been Darth Plagueis is if it happens in supplemental materials, because they're not going to devote part of the remaining films to educate the general audience about a throwaway character whose existence would have little to no significance to the characters involved in the story.

2. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    In reality there is a slim chance, but its very very slim at this point in time. Not really sure where it all started with this Snoke stuff.

3. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    That's true. They don't have to use the Hego Damask name if they don't want to — it's all non-canon now. Whatever the case, whether he's Plagueis or not, he's clearly human and ancient looking.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  4. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    This is interesting.

Luke don't have a clue who is Plagueis. The only Jedi who knew about him is Anakin.

The only way this makes sense is if the reveal is 'Emperor's Master' rather than Plagueis.

5. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Who said Plagueis is a muun?

6. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    no no no no.

7. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    Why does the anti-Plagueis crowd think there needs to be this grand reveal that Snoke is/was Darth Plagueis? It's already being hinted this is the case and would be done with little exposition to keep the feel of OT style story telling going forward. At this point Snoke is beyond the dogma of the Sith. He's the Supreme Leader of the First Order now. He's got bigger fish to fry.

8. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015
    Snoke isn't Darth Plagueis. He was one of those Imperial dignitaries we saw in ROTJ. He advised Emperor Palpatine. After Palpatine demise, Snoke gained power and transformed what was left of the Empire into the First Order.

Google Imperial dignitary and you'll get an idea of who Snoke was. He was one of those type of guys.

9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    What if rather than Snoke being Plagueis, Snoke and Plagueis were rivals and Snoke was Palpatine's true master? Maybe Snoke had Palpatine learn everything there was to learn from Plagueis and then kill him.

10. WannaBuySomeDeathSticks

WannaBuySomeDeathSticks Jedi Knight star 1

May 21, 2014
    I'm intrigued at the fact that we never actually saw Snoke, it was always his hologram. So, we dont actually know Snoke's size and proportions etc...

Also, does Snoke just wait around for the First Order to contact him? Seems like anytime the FO had conflict, they just ran to that room to get advice where Snoke's hologram was waiting for them.

FWIW, JJ said over and over that the baddies in this film would be the "scariest stuff you've ever seen". IMO, neither Kylo nor Snoke came across as frightening to me at least in appearance. You need more than a low gravely voice to emit fear.

11. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    True, his species could be changed. But then why does Snoke have to be DP?

12. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    The trailer voice sounded better, one wonders if it was Serkis or they played around with it in post production.

13. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    What if Snoke and Darth Bane were contemporaries at one point? Bane rebooted the Sith Order and Snoke founded the Knights of Ren.

14. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    He doesn't have to be. It just seems like a possibility.

15. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    Because it instantly makes the character a total badass, the fact that Sidious thought had killed him but he survived and was biding his time to return?? Could be why he is disfigured also. There is no canon explanation for how Sidious killed Plagueis.

Vohnkar and TheFett18 like this.
  16. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015
    Snoke is not Sith. He uses the Knights of Ren to manage his force users. This does not rule out that Plaguies moved on from the Sith and now works in this fashion.

I wont rule it out now.

17. AdamDemamp

AdamDemamp Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2015
    First of all welcome, happy to have you in the community. Second of all please ignore all of the ignorant and rude posters that will personally attack you and your intelligence for having this opinion. For some reason it's very upsetting to a minority of users here.

Anyway I don't think Plagueis is a Muun in current canon, also the Darth Plagueis novel is no longer canon. Being said you're right, there's definitely indications.

Too add on to your theory:

• Episode VII was steering clear of the prequels, deliberately, I only counted two nods made during the whole film. However this is also a film being used to rebuild trust in the franchise with the fan base, but it's rumored some prequel elements such as Hayden Christensen as Anakin's spirit returning will be in Episode VIII. If Snoke is Plagueis, they wouldn't want to include this huge link to the prequels in this film that's supposed to reground the franchise in it's roots.
    • His name being Supreme Leader Snoke wouldn't rule out his ability to hold the title, Darth Plagueis. In the OT, Darth Sidious was simply Emperor Palpatine. He certainly wasn't known to the Moffs or the people as Darth Sidious. In addition Darth Tyranus didn't go by his Sith title, he too used his royal title and his family name- Count Dooku. To say Plagueis uses his name and position in the government to identify himself isn't out of line with what we've seen in the past.
    • If Palpatine inflicted any of those wounds on Snoke, then he'd be in a near death state, if this was the case he wouldn't be in a position to actively seek help. Palpatine instructed his advisors the source of the dark side was beyond the outer rim, perhaps Plagueis shared these beliefs. If it was the dark side keeping him alive, but he's on the verge of death, of course he's going to go searching for it's epicenter to more easily sustain himself. When the Empire went looking for Palpatine's source of power and reported his death, Plagueis would finally be free to seek treatment and act as a prophet of sorts.
    • He talked about how it was time to "complete (Kylo Ren's) training". He also said Kylo was the "master of The Knights of Ren". This means that while reaching he top of the KOR, this has nothing to do with his true training.
    I will add though, I don't think he will go by Plagueis and I don't think Kylo Ren will be given a "Darth" title. It would be a stretch to accept he's Darth Blank who was once Kylo Ren who was once Ben Solo. You know?

18. AdamDemamp

AdamDemamp Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2015

If you have Apple Music you can listen to the Revenge of the Sith track "Palpatine's Teachings" and the Force Awakens Track "Snoke" I just did and they definitely sound similar- like "Snoke" was written to turn that deep male choir humm into a theme for Snoke the way the "Emperor's throne room" became Palpatine's recurring theme in the score.

19. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    There's no reason to move on from the Sith. Just give up everything he's learned from the Sith? Going beyond heat he learned is extending the Sith tradition, not leaving it behind.

20. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    The "Master of the Knights of Ren" could simply mean its his group of students or gang members, they could've even been a group of ex-jedi that he trained alongside at Luke's temple or Snoke found force sensitives and he put Kylo in charge of because he was the strongest of them all. Maybe by the time of the new movie they all use Lightsabers but they all seem raggedy and make shift and First Order tech equipped rather than trained Dark Jedi as the only one with a lightsaber is Kylo. The significance of the name change has not been revealed either, but its supposed to be Sith-like.

21. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    "I have lived for a thousand generations, in my time I have been known by many names. To the First Order Snoke, to my pupil the former Emperor I was known as Darth Plagueis." I mean this could be so easily done if they wanted to.

22. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015

He already is an instant badass. An outsider who outmaneuvered the New Republic from the beginning with the treaty and then seduced the grandson of the Chosen One.

23. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Possible, but not probable based on quotes from JJ and Serkis. I wonder if Pablo is trolling us.

24. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015
    the Sith seemed to have a code of sorts. He did not give up the teachings, but just the structure I would guess.

25. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002

The reason there needs to be build-up to it being revealed that Plagueis is Snoke is, first and foremost, because the general audience will have absolutely no idea who Darth Plagueis is. If you're revealing that your big villain is someone from the past, the general audience needs to have some idea of who said person is so that they care about the reveal. Otherwise, it's just exposition for the sake of exposition and means virtually nothing.

The need for the kind of build-up and explanation as to Plagueis is before you go "Snoke is Plagueis" is doubled by the fact that, in-universe, very little of the characters themselves would have any idea who Plagueis is.

Otherwise, you get a "I'm Starlord. Who? Starlord, man. Legendary Outlaw?" situation, which works as a throwaway joke but would fall completely flat as a serious narrative and storytelling choice and just make the general audience scratch their heads as to why they should care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.