main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why so heavily moderated?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Nerfherders, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Nerfherders

Nerfherders RMFF Treasurer star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    Is there a reason why these forums are so heavily moderated? I see useful posts getting squashed because they are deemed to not be in exactly the right forum. I see a very heavy hand just about everywhere. I can see it in the new movies forum where you have to try to control spoilers in titles, etc, but this isn't 1998 anymore - it's a much more free and loose internet these days. I don't get it.

dolphin likes this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It can be a bit of a wild west in most online spaces these days, but we try to maintain a healthy balance of moderation without being too overbearing. Different moderators will have different styles, but in general, threads being locked or moved for being in the wrong forum isn't really what we consider heavy-handed.

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    We're looking at cats and dogs living together! Disaster of Biblical proportions!

4. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I haven't seen much of this. Could you give examples?

5. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Are you talking about locked threads that say something to the equivalent of "this thread does not belong here" or "there are plenty of threads you can discuss this" then I agree you have a point. In the old days I know it wasn't possible to just redirect threads to where they are supposed to go but this is no longer the case. But to lock a thread without even a link on where you can discuss it seems overly dismissive at best. I've seen this on a number of occasions to new members, 9/10 don't post again after this funnily enough...

As for the heavy handed approach well unfortunately that depends on what forum you visit and what mods you get. This place doesn't have a direct consensus on how mods SHOULD mod, they are there to make sure TOS is enforced, how they do it is up to them. ergo, you will get a mod that will simply edit a post like one would expect from a moderator. Others will use a meme or gif in attempt to be funny I guess. But this is not new, it has been like that since the beginning.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    It's actually more like the opposite-- things were very much anything goes in those days. Not so much anymore. Comparatively speaking, this is an ancient community. Consequently, most existing guidelines and policies go back a long time, having been hammered out over two decades. Things aren't so much the way they are because they've always been a certain way, but rather because this is the way moderation and the community evolved.

7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Things used to be a lot messier and cluttered. The sheer level of redundant threads became very annoying. Mods had to crack down to avoid having ten threads on the same topic on page one. They had to do a certain amount of busy work every day just to get rid of the redundancies. That’s one of the reasons mods started locking threads more often. Sometimes I disagree with a mod’s decision to lock a thread, but I’ll take a slightly heavy hand over no hand and the total, unnavigable mess that will result.

Mods decide what topics belong in the forum(s) they moderate, and in the process they can (and usually do) teach new users where certain topics belong (and where they don’t belong). If mods don’t correct them, they may not learn. It’s important they learn; posting in the right forum will get the best response, posting in the wrong forum is unlikely to get a good response and may annoy the regular userbase if it happens too often. Of course, mods have to go to some effort to actually educate new users, but sometimes they don’t because they’re human beings and don’t always give 100%. Usually they provide explanations, however.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes. Generally speaking, we prefer threads to be locked with at least an explanation of where it belongs -- so: "this belongs in the fan fiction forum" or "this is more a topic for the Star Wars Community forum" or "this should go in Literature."

Sometimes it's just "this thread doesn't belong in this forum" which is definitely not as helpful -- but it's not malicious or intended to be heavy-handed. It's just what happens sometimes -- people forget.

9. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I think the mods do a good job. The only question I have is the off topic thing. Like sometimes it will just be 2 people talking slightly off topic and boom. Then there will be no conversation at all. I can understand a thread going endlessly off topic but I've seen this kill threads many times.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Anedon, teamhansolo and heels1785 like this.
  10. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    That's a good thing. Mods can help keep things neat and not so cluttered. Also the world and people are not so very nice or trustworthy. I used to work in retail, so I know.

teamhansolo likes this.
  11. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I've been to places with no moderation at all, it is not a very fun time.

12. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I don't mind at all the moderation of the moving and locking type. I think it makes the forum much more organized and well structured.

But also when it comes to moderation, is there a relevant topic for discussing bans and banning policy? Where can someone publicly address complaints of that nature, if there even is a spot?

My excitement for these forums has dropped quite a bit, and getting banned half a year ago in what I consider a very unfair manner, has partially caused that. It's no fun when you post good willed posts and then you open the page to see the crimson screen of death. Let alone the fact that you get a longer penalty, because a previous (100%) misunderstanding had resulted in a 3 days ban.

Which sucks, cause I really want to engage in any and every kind of conversation about Star Wars (positive AND negative, but always in a respectful manner) and sometimes it feels like you cannot joke about anything, even when it's obvious that it's a joke. This post is supposed to be a question? Don't ban me for asking please? :p

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    Anedon likes this.
  13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    We don't discuss particular banned users here - that's between the user and the mods. However if you want to discuss bans in general you can open a thread here in Comms.

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    But it needs to be general and high level if posted publicly here. Specific circumstances should have been discussed directly with mods during the unban request process.

15. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Personally, I always relish the opportunity to converse with the userbase about any of our moderation methods.

[​IMG]

16. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    My experience of the moderation here recently has been pretty good, and fair.

17. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Then we have failed. There should be fear and despair. :vader:

18. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Speak for yourself! I want to make all the friends in the world!! I want to spread the love!!
    [​IMG]

Weirdly enough, there are many members here who fully expect me to 'take care' of them in a not so nice way............no idea why that is? :confused:O:)O:)

19. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Who moderates the moderators?

Darth Buzz and teamhansolo like this.
  20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    They mod one another. :D

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Heirarchy is (from lowest to highest) - moderator, manager, admin, head admin, site owner.

22. Grahame

Grahame Former Server Admin star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    I'd ban you all, would make my life a lot easier ;)

23. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    So when the mods get wild you're the boss? And admins can read unban threads?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  24. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    A lot of the answers you seek are in The Rules Of The JC sub-forum, also located at the top of every page.

Particularly
    Moderation Guidlines and Mod Complaint Resolution Process ;)

And yes all staff members can read unban threads :p

ThisIsMe1138 likes this.
  25. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    I don't have any complaints. All of my interactions with moderators in the unban forum have been pleasant and professional. The said, without knowing who can read the unban threads, I had considered the possibility of such a setup being ripe for abuse if a moderator were to lose their professional tenor.