main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Why so heavily moderated?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Nerfherders, Aug 20, 2019.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval TV Screaming Service / FFS! star 9 Staff Member Manager

Aug 19, 2003
    While we are always glad when someone in the Unban Request forum believes they are trapped alone in a Saw torture chamber while the banning moderator watches their horrified responses from a room filled with camera monitors... sadly, everyone on staff sees what is happening and we all attempt to hold one another accountable and want people to get unbanned since a forum with no posters is nobody's idea of a good time.

2. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Well that's good to know.

3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel Socially And Emotionally Distant Mod Of New Films star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    But, this does sound like a great idea for a "Reality TV" show.

upload_2019-9-5_22-53-9.jpeg

upload_2019-9-5_22-53-32.jpeg

4. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    I got a one month ban for a one off offence that was arguably not even an offence.. so yeah I've definitely been surprised at how heavy handed it can be at times.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Lucasfilm Ltd Mod star 10 Staff Member Administrator

May 25, 2002
    I wish we had the 'smite user through screen' function. It would be useful for our worst problem users.

6. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Skywalker Saga / WNU Manager star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Just to remind people you dont have a constituation right to be an idiot on these forms. And we see alot of dumbassery around here. Having said that, if you saw things from our perspective I think you would be surprised, all things considered, how non-interventionist us mods really are.

7. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    [​IMG]

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian New Films Thread Reaper and Rumor Nay-Sayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    [​IMG]

9. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 19, 2019
    I haven't been here that long (only since June) but so far I have found the moderators and other members of the site to be quite welcoming and respectful. I don't think I've had a really negative interaction with a moderator (and I hope they don't think they've had one with me:)) and the times when they step in to redirect a conversation in my experience have been fair and seemingly intended to prevent the conversation from going off the tracks into a place it was probably best for the conversation not to go. I really think those kind of minor interventions and conversation redirections are a good thing since they can sort of prevent situations where it might be tempting for someone to break a rule. Overall, I like the atmosphere here and respect the moderators and members who make that atmosphere possible. Hopefully I can do my bit in keeping the place respectful by following the rules to the best of my ability.

10. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    A very long time ago (July 2002), one of the first unban requests I saw was "Gandolf!!!! I know it was you!!!" Or something close to that.

heels1785 likes this.
  11. Nerfherders

Nerfherders RMFF Treasurer star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    I'm glad this started a bit of a conversation! I certainly don't feel it everywhere on this site, all the time, just in certain places, and most of the other forums I visit have very little such moderation (but also much smaller fan bases). And then you get on something like Discord, which has absolutely no moderation and is just stream of consciousness. That took me a year or two just to be comfortable with it.

12. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    While I still stick with my initial comment above, I can see how there might be a disparity between how oldbies and newbies view mod squad. But I think that turnover in mod staff (even as low as that is) and changes in Star Wars fandom mood and behavior (some of it based on generational differences) over the years probably explain away much of the variation. We also view some things differently now then we did say 3, 4 and 10 years ago.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 9 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Oh yes. Nothing is more joyful for the Older Mod than to discuss at length what is or isn't an offensive word in 2019 but was in 2009.

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Lucasfilm Ltd Mod star 10 Staff Member Administrator

May 25, 2002
    Or the other way around (some recent additions to avoid sexism or 'genderism', for example. Also some related to mental issues that might have been acceptable then but not now).

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  15. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    And of course post-Disney buy-out we had quite a bit of things to change rule-wise too.

16. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Exactly.

Thank you DMCA and DMCA take down letters (or at least the fear of getting one).

17. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I was thinking more that we were able to revise our equality rules after Disney turned up but yeah.

The Lego stuff is so strict!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dandelo and Bazinga'd like this.
  18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 7

Oct 4, 1998
    10 years ago? That's cute. :p

19. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Fair enough for you, 20+ years ago. You have spent more time here then some C-130's have been in existence.

20. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    What is the deal with that? Does the site get hit with legalese / cease and desist notices for hosting the pictures or something?

Sinrebirth likes this.
  21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Our site owner has gotten hit with DMCA letters in the past. They get forwarded to me and the Head Admin, though it's usually me that gets to remove the content (depends on who sees the email first). That's why we had to insist that posters give credit to artwork posted in the Community [Image heavy]A thread for art: See note on page 776 thread. We got a spate of DMCA notices on that thread. I'm not sure if it was Disney or LEGO who got in touch about the leaked LEGO images.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  22. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett PT Interview Host/Teh Mole Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Feb 18, 2014
    For a few years before I joined the JCF I was in a completely unmoderated forum. It has its ups and downs but mostly downs. The more moderation the better

23. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I feel that we have in fact another issue.
    The amount of negativity posting has reached extreme levels where many users are just deciding to not come in here anymore.

I feel the mod team is being too literal in the intrepretation that everyone has a right to express criticisms. When almost all posting in the Unreleased Films Forum is made by a group of about 20 users to express the same criticisms of a Released Film for the 5000 time, creating in this process thousands of pages of discussion, then it is no longer an opinion, but constant and endless bashing.

Many users have complained about this, myself included, and the mod team response is always that they are protecting the right of all users to express opinions. For sure, all users should have all rights to express all kinds of opinions, but what is happening is no longer just opinions being expressed, it has become basically a kind of protected bashing.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    Master_Rebado likes this.
  24. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Often times, there is a fine line between letting people express unpopular opinions and regulating flaming/baiting. The difference between the two usually is whether the poster articulates an argument for that opinion within the context of the subject-matter of the thread. However, it is not always easy to distinguish between the two.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Nightsister of Five Realms star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    During the PT era, this place was considered “basher infested” as well. I don’t think it’s practical to ask moderators to disallow negative opinions, even repeated ones. If people are attacking users with positive opinions, we do step in. But there is a big difference between disallowing attacks on users and disallowing opinions.