main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why so heavily moderated?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Nerfherders, Aug 20, 2019.

1. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Of course it does get tiring hearing the same criticisms repeated constantly, but that's the reality of a public forum. Naturally the forum is going to sway one way or another and it's going to snow ball whatever way it falls. It does go both ways though and I'm sure there are people who don't like RO and get tired of the positivity around that film. Eventually the negativity will dissipate however.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I think we need to be careful about characterizing this forum as "public." This site is owned by a private owner, and use of it is granted by a revocable license.

3. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    No not really. This is a public forum. Everyone knows that means it's a forum for public use, viewable by all.

Darth Guy likes this.
  4. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    "Public Forum" - You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means

You can be bnanned at will for violating the TOS or Rules of thr Forum, i.e. the First Amendment cant save you here.. The site owner and mods have every right to control what content can get posted here. We dont, because we all want people to largely have at it when it comes to discussing topics. But you have no entittlement to say anything you want solely because this is a "public" forum.

EDIT: From the Legal Disclaimer on the TOS page -

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Sarge and Master_Rebado like this.
  5. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    When I use the term 'public forum' I mean somewhere anyone can access and post, obviously within the TOS.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  6. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I completely understand that and from the context you are using it you are not wrong. Traditionally (at least from a legal sense) the term "Public forum" related to a place in society where the full panoply of first amendment protections applied. Those places were generally theld to be he town hall or public square; places where the government had absolutely no right to regulate speech. And yes, the public forum does apply in certain contexts on ther internet. But a privately (i,e, non-governmental) owned board is generally not one of them and is thus not required to provide you with those same first amendment rights. ( Moreover, when you sign up for the account and log-in to post you consent to the terms of the TOS and rules of the JCF.)

7. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I’ll simply ‘like’ the OP but there’s a reason why I would never dare create a thread like this. *shrug*

I co-own another forum and understand the need for the balance intimated in an earlier post. A little wild Wild West isn’t the end of the world though. And I don’t remember the boards ever being so anarchic as to make the site chaotic. There’s more but my experience is dated because I stopped visiting as often.

@Nerfherders

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Negative views unless shared by most people usually fall into niches pretty quick this also includes ultra positivity. People enjoy their bubbles