main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why some people hate "Padme dying of Sadness" ?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by antitoxicgamer, Dec 28, 2020.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Given that so Obi-Wan had raised Anakin, he was in a very personal relationship with him. Saying that he wasn’t, is like saying that a parent/child relationship is not as personal as a spousal one.

And I will continue to call out the sexism until we see a male character “losing the will to live” because the Empire took over and until no female character is put into the traditional wilting flower or man-fixer trope again. Although, again, I don’t think Lucas himself is sexist. The trope is, as are any iterations of it.

That’s not development, that’s regression. Padme becoming a wilting flower regresses her character. So does Luke refusing to help the Resistance.

2. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    OK, a fair point about ObiWan raising Anakin. But hes not his biological father and thats also a factor. The subconscious bond between parent and child is probably stronger than something adoptive or like a Padawan would be. At least in my opinion. Padme didnt "wilt". Although the explanation given by that droid does leave a lot of questions her character was strong throughout the entire trilogy. But, feel as you wish.

Star Wars is the last film saga Id bring up if I was discussing "weak" women. Not even close.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Normally it is for me as well. Which is why Padme’s portrayal in ROTS and Rey’s portrayal in TLJ stood out so badly.

4. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Call it what you will. I will certainly no longer participate in this pointless "is SW sexist?" debate. Frankly, I simply couldn't care less. Had some laughs, but I guess I'm out of this thread.

5. FromDromundKaasWithLove

FromDromundKaasWithLove Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2020
    Padme's death is a serious case of unfortunate implications.

All the male characters endure their intense grief and betrayal without losing their will to live. The only female character is the one who loses her will to live.

- Obi-Wan is forced to battle, maim and leave for death the brother that he basically raised since the latter was a child. He witnessed that self-same brother murder children, try to murder his pregnant wife and bring about the death of the Jedi Order. He is forced to go into hiding. Obi-Wan does not lose the will to live.

- Yoda loses the only life that he has ever known, he senses the death of every member of that Order attacked during Order 66, and has to exile himself to a lonely and isolated swamp planet. Yoda does not lose the will to live.

- Padme loses her husband who has turned into a monster and who attacks her when she refuses him. Nonetheless, she still believes there is hope for him and she gives birth to two healthy children that she clearly loves. Padme loses the will to live.

Padme, who has the most to live for out of the three, is the one who loses the will to live.

They could have mitigated the issue by saying that injuries caused by Anakin coupled with the difficulty of early labor and childbirth was too much for her body. Also, maybe, they don't have the time to get her to a proper facility that could have stabilized her condition.

I didn't mention Padme losing the Republic because Padme was already aware that the Republic was falling. She has a great line about it in the second film: "So this is how liberty dies... with a thunderous applause."

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  6. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Yes - as other posts have brought up some of the same items, they do have some merit. I still cannot buy the sexism had anything to do with this. It can and apparently has been interpreted that way which is fine. Everyone has a "take". Her death does remain elusive as to what really happened. The droids explanation is a little iffy for sure. I detailed autopsy would have been great here, right? :D. But sans that, we have to go with that it was just too overwhelming for her. Believe me I wish there was more there and you correctly point out that they could have mitigated some of it with better reasons. But, Im good with it as it is. It breaks my heart but it works.

Her character remains pivotal to the prequels & she always behaved in a strong, intelligent manner. Never a damsel-in-distress, IMO.

7. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    I think there's a difference between the jedi's loss and Padme's: Jedi already have the perception of non attachment.

Valiowk and Subtext Mining like this.
  8. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    That’s a good point. I still think more information about her death could have helped this entire situation. However, as sad as it is I am fine with it. Even just a mention about the stress of the early childbirth, as the other quoted poster mentions would have helped. Just a line or two extra and we aren’t having this discussion.

9. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Its fair to say Padme's death was meant to be a fairy tale death. and i have never really had an issue with it because i always kinda seen it as Lucas being inspired by old fairy tales.

10. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I think its kinda like the Padme's Ruminations scene. I don't question how Padme, a non-Force sensitive, can sense Anakin from miles away, because I get the metaphor that their love is strong enough that they can feel each other's presence. I forget if it was a novel, but I remember hearing that Padme gained Force sensitivity because of being pregnant with Luke and Leia, but that always felt like an overtly EU-like justification that I didn't really need.

I'm ok with the ambiguity of Padme's death, and while I don't like the "she died of a broken heart" explanation, I think the film gives enough leeway to argue it is much more complicated than the medical droid's diagnosis.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  11. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Yes, your last sentence sums it up nicely. There is enough leeway and it’s possibly implied that she didn’t die literally of a broken heart but rather many factors.

Deliveranze likes this.
  12. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    You can actually die of broken heart IRL, even though it is very rare.

"Broken heart syndrome, also called stress-induced cardiomyopathy or takotsubo cardiomyopathy, can strike even if you’re healthy. Women are more likely than men to experience the sudden, intense chest pain — the reaction to a surge of stress hormones — that can be caused by an emotionally stressful event. It could be the death of a loved one or even a divorce, breakup or physical separation, betrayal or romantic rejection."

https://www.heart.org/en/health-top...pathy-in-adults/is-broken-heart-syndrome-real

13. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    And there it is. Stress and what you posted very well could have played a role in Padmes death. Again, the film was a little too quick with that droids explanation but I still find no issues with it outside of that. Her death was tragic and I’m OK with it even though it crushes me every time I watch ROTS! :(

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    MrDarth0 likes this.
  14. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    I like this idea. It's the sort of thing I'd see in a fantasy story.

Star Wars is literally a story about space wizards, lol.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It’s fine to be inspired by old fairy tales but Lucas should have left the female codependency part out of it.

Padme was not the only one under stress.

16. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    The med droids don't even say Padme died of a broken heart. They just say she has lost the will to live.

Also the syndrome people are citing is very unlikely among otherwise healthy women Padme's age and is even treatable with modern medicine, nonetheless with the more advanced medicine in the Star Wars universe.

Age is a major factor for all cardiac issues, and medical personnel know that.

It's part of why when I was experiencing panic attacks that made me feel like I was having heart attacks, medical personnel trained in such matters could pretty quickly understand that it was much more likely to be anxiety related than cardiac related.

Anyway, if it was the syndome people are citing, Padme should've been given beta blockers (the medical treatment we have on Earth) and therapy rather than put through the further stress and trauma of an early childbirth. So all around looks like medical malpractice by the droids to me.

17. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I don't "hate" the way Padme's death plays out, but I agree with the general criticism that it's sexist. As presented, I think it assumes that "princess" frameworks are in play, that her love for her man was the most important thing in her life and she can't live without it. It's one of the few instances in the PT where I think Lucas got lazy with the writing, and his usually careful use of ambiguity doesn't quite work.

In my head canon, she died because the dark side somehow poisoned her, not because she "chose" to die or "gave up". It would have been very interesting to see her live on, but her death is appropriate for cementing the tragic narrative imo, because it means there's nothing left for Anakin to hold on to, he's lost everything.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  18. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Ill say, in comparison to Leia's death, there is at least a pinpoint in Padme's: Vader's Force choke on Mustafar. For Leia, it's just that she decides to die at that specific moment and the movie does an even worse job of explaining.

Then again, Leia really is BARELY a character in the ST, so maybe I just found her whole death to kinda fall flatter in the context of the sequel trilogy compared to Padme (who I'd argue was a more developed character than Leia in both the OT and ST).

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    You nailed it. The “princess” framework is the problem.

20. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Ya know, as much as I love Leia, you do make some valid points here. Out of the main three OT characters she has the least "arc" of the group and her limited use in the sequels does add to this problem. Of course, Carries tragic death didn’t help and I thought I did read that originally she was going to be more a part of the sequels in early scripts. Yet another missed opportunity for the sequels. Meh.

Padme was a more developed overall character. I’d agree with that. Leia was tough as nails and that toughness was refreshing. But she was sort of one note. I also don’t care for how Leias only real force use is that Mary Poppins stuff in Last Jedi.

21. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    It'd have been better IMO if they hadn't had the line "medically she's COMPLETELY healthy" Imply that a broken heart may have played a role but that she also died from the complications of birthing two force sensitive babies.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  22. rokkodevyt

rokkodevyt Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2021
    Honestly, I think it would have been a better decision to let her live, but dye later in the original trilogy. Luke and Leia would have to deal with the same thing Anakin dealt with, Luke would stay on the light side.

23. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    You're leaving out Anakin. Anakin loses his will to live.

Lucas wanted to make it clear that she died specifically because she was heartbroken. He says that's what happened in the new Archives book. That's why he put that line there. Because he didn't want us to think it was for any other reason.

It has to be because of Anakin--and it has to be because he destroyed everything she believed in, for her, and then, after all of it, decided he actually cared more about his own power than her life. So all this slaughter, all this destruction, it was all done out of love for her, and then very love was slaughtered and thrown onto the pile like everything else, like it never even mattered. That's an inconceivably nightmarish reality to be confronted with.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  24. FromDromundKaasWithLove

FromDromundKaasWithLove Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2020
    Anakin doesn't die and it's debatable if he's lost the will to live considering that he goes on to live a life as an active agent of the Empire with his own ambitions for the future that include schemes to overthrow the Emperor and take his place. That's generally not the behavior of someone who has lost the will to live.

But you are right that I forgot about Anakin. He does belong on the list as an example.

All the male characters endure their intense grief and betrayal without losing their will to live. The only female character is the one who loses her will to live.

- Obi-Wan is forced to battle, maim and leave for death the brother that he basically raised since the latter was a child. He witnessed that self-same brother murder children, try to murder his pregnant wife and bring about the death of the Jedi Order. He is forced to go into hiding. Obi-Wan does not lose the will to live.

- Yoda loses the only life that he has ever known, he senses the death of every member of that Order attacked during Order 66, and has to exile himself to a lonely and isolated swamp planet. Yoda does not lose the will to live.

- Anakin thinks he's murdered his pregnant wife and is overcome by grief. He has no family or friends left. He has lost all his limbs and is so severely burnt that he cannot live without the aid of an artificial respiration system. Anakin does not lose the will to live.

- Padme loses her husband who has turned into a monster and who attacks her when she refuses him. Nonetheless, she still believes there is hope for him and she gives birth to two healthy children that she clearly loves. Padme loses the will to live.

Padme, who has the most to live for out of the three, is the one who loses the will to live.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  25. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    ^ And don't forget Bail, who watched the system he so faithfully serve fall and be perverted to the point where it's no longer recognizable. He now gets to enjoy going to work in an Imperial senate that answers to an emperor. And everywhere he looks, he sees stark reminders of what once was. Yet he somehow managed to not shoot himself in the head with a blaster.

So why do they get to live despite their traumas, but Padme dies?