main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why was Anakin chosen as Padme's bodyguard by the Jedi council?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by ronyyadav, May 22, 2021.

1. ronyyadav

ronyyadav Jedi Youngling

Apr 26, 2021
    Okay, so I was watching AoTC and I think it was a terrible idea to have Anakin serve as Padme's sole bodyguard as a Padawan. They were aware of his history with Padme, and they were undoubtedly aware of his affections for her as well. They also knew he was arrogant and possessed wrath and bitterness, as well as the events involving his mother and the nightmares. So, why did they do it in the first place? Aren't there hundreds of other Jedi in existence at this point in the chronology who would be far better equipped to deal with a situation like this?

devilinthedetails likes this.
  2. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    I feel this question might be better suited for a forum where AoTC is discussed.

3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Padme is already resistant to having bodyguards, as seen in the earlier scene in her apartment. So Palpatine suggests Obi-Wan (and thus Anakin as his apprentice), as he's someone she's already familiar with and trusts enough to allow him to protect her. Then when the two Jedi are split up, with Obi-Wan being trusted with the more difficult and serious investigation half of the mission, Anakin is thus left with the 'simpler' task of keeping Padme safe for the foreseeable future. It's basically a little test for Anakin, all he has to do is stand by Padme's side, make sure there are no more bounty hunter attacks, and boom, mission done (or so the Jedi planned it).

So it's really as simple as: Obi-Wan's one of the few Jedi Padme trusts, Anakin's along for the ride, then the mission is split in two with the apprentice, Anakin, getting the easier job.

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, the Jedi Council does not know all that. Obi-Wan does, and he voices his concerns in the movie. The fact remains that the Council has faith in Anakin and his abilities, so he was trusted the assignment. It was up to Anakin to prove himself worthy of that trust.

Anakin was well equipped to protect her.

Sith Lord 2015 and ShelbyAmidala like this.
  5. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I always assumed it was a trial for Anakin, which he failed miserably. :)

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I also think Palpatine was aware of Anakin's feelings for her and used the situation to push them closer together and eventually him more to the Dark Side due to the attachment.

7. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    From watching TPM and AOTC, I don't get the impression that it is super uncommon for a Master and an older Padawan (which Anakin probably is at this point) to split up during the course of a mission to better achieve the objectives of the mission. In TPM, Obi-Wan remains with the ship to guard the queen in disguise (Sabe) and all the other handmaidens while Qui-Gon goes into Mos Espa to get the replacement parts needed to make the ship functional again, and it's not really treated as anything unusual that Obi-Wan would do so. He just gets some instructions from Qui-Gon and they keep in touch via comlink on any significant developments. It has the feeling of routine, standard operating procedure to me.

So, I don't think it is an inherently bad idea for an older Padawan like Anakin to be left in the role of bodyguard. His training has prepared him to take such roles and from the perspective of his Force and combat skills he is more than ready to take on such a role.

There is also a lot of friction and butting heads in his relationship with Obi-Wan so if the Council is aware of that tension, they might think it would be good for Anakin and Obi-Wan to spend some time apart.

I get the impression from AOTC that Anakin, like many teenagers, is pushing for independence and the chance to make his own choices. So the Council is giving him that independence and that chance to make his own choices. Anakin is on the cusp of adulthood and becoming a Jedi Knight in his own right in AOTC. Part of being an adult and being a Jedi Knight would be the independence and responsibility of making one's own choices. Anakin isn't a nine-year-old boy any more. He is an immensely talented Padawan who is itching to become a Jedi Knight. A young man who is being given the opportunity to prove his skills and his judgment. His worthiness to become a Jedi Knight as it were. If he never gets such opportunities, it will be difficult for the Council to determine when and if he is ready for Knighthood.

The Council knows that Anakin and Obi-Wan have a history with Padme since Palpatine mentioned it and it is one of the reasons that Padme likely agreed to have Obi-Wan and Anakin assigned to her for her protection in the first place (that and Palpatine pushed for it with no real gracious way for Padme to refuse). However, I am not sure that the Council does know of Anakin's attachment to Padme until Obi-Wan mentions it to Mace and Yoda after Anakin has already received the assignment. As far as the Council knows prior to that, Anakin and Padme, like Obi-Wan and Padme, haven't been in contact for ten years. So I would think that the assumption would have been that Anakin wasn't overly attached to someone he had met ten years ago and hadn't really seen since then.

Anakin's arrogance doesn't make him inherently incapable of being a bodyguard for Padme, and sometimes when arrogant people are given responsibilities and independence, they can begin to realize how much they don't know and become more humble. Sometimes it is easy to think, "I could do a better job" until one is in the position and sees how hard the job can actually be to do.

I am not sure that the Council does know about Anakin's nightmares. Obi-Wan does, but I don't get the impression that he necessarily is reporting them to the Council. A comparison might be that at work I might tell things to my immediate supervisor but she doesn't necessarily pass those same things onto her supervisor unless it is really necessary and important. I could definitely imagine those nightmare conversations being sort of confidential and private between Obi-Wan and Anakin. I think the Master and Padawan bond could be very close and could have a lot of those sort of private conversations and understandings. Masters are very personal sort of mentors and guides to their Padawans, I think, so they probably are more in tune with everything that is going on with their Padawans than the Council which has the whole Order to manage.

As far as the Council knows, Anakin is equipped to deal with the situation, and it is an opportunity for him to demonstrate his skills and judgment. To prove that he is worthy of being considered for the rank of Jedi Knight. That he can take on the responsibility and independence he is craving throughout AOTC. It is an example of the Council not trying to hold Anakin back and trying to give him a chance to grow into the Jedi he could be.

There might be better qualified Jedi for the role at the moment, but the Council is trying to encourage growth within Anakin. It is hard for someone to grow without being given an opportunity to do so.

8. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    He grew more fond of Padme.

9. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Absolutely the case.

10. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    They probably felt if they couldnt trust Anakin in this situation they were probably screwed anyway. They made the decision ten years ago to have him trained and now they have to live with that decision.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  11. Moonshield76

Moonshield76 Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 21, 2020
    He wasn't going to do that at all. His only goal was to remove Padme from the senate, and he didn't think that the Jedi Council can choose Anakin instead of Kenobi.

12. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Nope, there were no other Jedi, that border dispute on Ansion was serious, serious business. And we all know Yoda and Windu just like to sit on their butts all day ;)

in all seriousness though, what @darkspine10 said. To him, you listen.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    darkspine10 likes this.