main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why was Obi-Wan so arrogant?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by General_Cartman_Lee, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General_Cartman_Lee

General_Cartman_Lee Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2004
    Obi-Wan refers to Anakin and Jar-Jar as "pathetic life forms". What was GL trying to achieve here given he was also portraying Obi-Wan to be very wise at a young age?

2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    He was trying show that Obi-wan was once like Anakin. but that Obi-wan allowed himself to forget this fact.

3. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    the line from ESB

"so was I if you remember"

4. Azhrei

Azhrei Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2004
    He wasn't being arrogant - see the smile on his face? He was just remarking that Qui-Gon was picking up another that other Jedi would not have looked at twice. It was a playful tease of Qui-Gon's compassion for other life-forms.

5. Virgilius

Virgilius Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 7, 2004
    Ob-Wan matures throughout the movies. He's a little arrogant in TPM, he's wiser and more sophistocated in AOTC, and he's at his best after ROTS. He's one of my favourite heroes in the saga.

Yoda did say that arrogance was common flaw in Jedi. I imagine Obi-Wan recognised this in himself. I think Anakin is, like Lucas says, more like Qui-Gon. I wouldn't say he was very arrogant. He was, after all, a "straight arrow" Jedi, unlike his master.

6. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    Yoda: Much anger in him like his father.

Obi: Was I any different when you taught me?

Yoda: You are reckless.

Obi: So was I, if you would remember.

7. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    Yeah, I never saw that as Obi-wan condescending to alien species, but as mentioned before, remarking more on Qui-gon's habit of picking up more people for a mission. Seeing as how it started as a two-man operation and it grew to a motley crew of slaves, royalty, and exhiles, it was Obi-wan being sarcastic.

8. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    I must admit I really don't like that line from Obi-Wan, regardless of whether he meant it as a joke or not, its just not needed and makes him come across as a total jerk.

9. BizAOK

BizAOK Jedi Master star 1

Nov 5, 2001
    I love that line.

It's as if he's saying, "You gotta be kidding me. Our job is to try and save the planet of Naboo, and you're building Noah's Ark...."

The line ties in well with: "You were right about one thing, Master. The negotations were short." (when seeing trade federation invasion army.)

He has learned to find the humor in situations, no matter how grim. "Oh, not good." (Attack of the Clones, versus Jango Fett.)

We tend to think of him as being direct, but he's usually quite tactful. In conversations he makes his points without causing big scenes. (Imagine if he had said to Qui-Gon when Jinn went to get Anakin, "Master, we need to leave now! You're not tending to the task at hand!") It's just that his arguments are generally of a humorous nature so the listener cannot help but address his concerns.

To Anakin in Attack of the Clones: "I was beginning to wonder if you got my message...." "I retransmitted it just as you requested, Master. Then we decided to come and rescue you." (Anakin) Obi-Wan, handcuffed: "Good job."

His wit makes you realize that he has a valid point. It's brilliant on his part. You'll notice that he always gets a reaction of some sort.

10. Ben_Watson

Ben_Watson Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 11, 2004
    Well in alot of books, Obi-wan is always think that Anakin is so much more like Qui-gon than Anakin is like Obi-wan. I just thought that he was tired of Qui-gon picking up people for no reason at all, (Except for Anakin) I mean look at Jar-Jar he had no reason to have ever been brought along with them.

11. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    If it wasn't for Jar Jar, they would never have made it to Gungan city or found a transport to Naboo. Considering that Jar Jar Binks basically forfeited his life to get them what they needed (hesa banished-ed, remember?), I would have thought it awfully low of the Jedi not to save him.

Obi Wan is a product of the society that he serves, as well as his youth. Young people are arrogant until they learn better. Simple as that. Additionally, arrogance amidst the Jedi is a problem that even Yoda's willing to recognize. Their status as "elite" citizens of the Republic has started to affect how they run the Order. Obi Wan isn't overtly arrogant, IMO, but it is one of his early personality flaws. We well how large his serving of humble pie will be in ROTS given the immense change we see in ANH.

Order66Survivor likes this.
  12. Annadalla

Annadalla Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 22, 2005
    Obi-Wan is one of my fave characters too! This shows he was like Anakin at one moment, but followed the force and had faith in it...and thus shed that arrogance..sadly Anakin does not follow suit.

13. Darth Kruel

Darth Kruel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    For some reason, I liked Obi-1 in TPM better than in AOTC. I think it had something to do with his youthfulness as well as his personal growth. Obi-1 sees some things as trivial, such as Jar-Jar Binks.

14. WAF_Hellblazer

WAF_Hellblazer Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2005
    Anakin Skywalker was arrogant because he got the trait from his master. The same goes foe Obi-Wan and then Qui-Gon got it from the most evil jedi, Dooku. Oh and Anakin and Qui-Gon aren't the most alike. Dooku and Anakin are.

15. PappiePac

PappiePac Jedi Youngling

Apr 3, 2005
    LOSERS, I MADE A SONG ABOUT YOU AND IT GOES A LITTLE SOMETHIN' LIKE THIS (IN TUNE OF STAR WARS THEME):

STAR WARS D-D-D-DORRRRRRRRRRKS
    D-D-D-DORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRKS
    LIVE IN THEIR MOM'S BASEMENT
    THEY EAT A LOT AND TALK ON FORUMS
    BUUUT WHERE WILL THEY BE AFTER THE LAST MOOOOOOOOOOVIE

...IN A SEWER EATING POOP REPEATING JAR-JAR BINKS LINES.

U GUYS THAT HAVE OVER 1000 POST SHOULD SERIOUSLY CONSIDER GETTING A LIFE.

16. grievious

grievious Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 27, 2005
    I didn't find him arrogant

17. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    I think Obi Wan has arrogance, I just don't think that's what he intended in that situation.

And I think Anakin is less arrogant because of Obi Wan's influence, but more because he has a severe entitlement complex and he's just an selfish jerk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.