main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why was the Chosen One a Human?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by EECHUUTA, Jun 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    Why did the Force (or Darth Plagueis, whatever you prefer) choose a human? If there are thousands of species available, why not a Twi'lek, or a Rodian? One of these could have done the exact thing that a human could....

2. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Why not a Twileak or Rodian?

Why not a human?

It could just be luck of the draw, or if Bane did it, maybe he wanted it to be a fellow human.

3. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    To avoid excessive sub-titling perhaps.

4. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    OOU: because the audience is human.

IU: I don't know.

5. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    This is a human story. Star Wars details human frailty, the limits and extents of our own humanity. Padme says this to Anakin in Attack of the Clones. IN the end, the aliens are just fantastical set-pieces and background. The core of these films is about a family traveling through a tumultous time in galactic history. They have trials and triumphs, and make many mistakes.

Humanity.

-Seldon

6. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Because Luke was human.

7. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    indeed,

8. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I don't think Darth Vader would be as cool if he was a Twi'lek, Rodian, Ithiorian or Gungan..

Obi Wan said in the OT, "He's more machine than man" not "He's more machine than Bothan"
    Keep in mind the Empire isn't very big on aliens. I'm suprised Sidious trained Maul seeing as he was an Ithiorian.

9. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Fixed..

Palps hates all equally, but if you are strong in the force, he doesn't care what species you are. Anyways the Empire is big on aliens because the humans in the deep core(some of the biggest supporters of the empire) don't care much for non-humans and Palps uses that to his advantage.

10. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    If the Chosen One was a Twi'lek, you could ask why not a human? Humans appear to be the dominant species in the galaxy, so it seems that, so long as the "decision" was random, the odds of a human being the Chosen One were greatest.

The OOU answer I would imagine is simply due to the ease in making a human character (a lot of those alien masks don't really emote). Also, a lot of the characteristics of the story, such as the romance of Padme and Anakin probably wouldn't be at all appealing if they were Quarren, or Gamorreans.

11. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I think this is a pretty good explanation.

12. Shrapnel

Shrapnel Jedi Master star 2

Apr 20, 2005
    Don't you think that there is already a good amount of CG characters out there?

13. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I really don't care how many CG characters there are, but ok. :p

I've always thought that humans were a minority, actually-look at the Jedi Council. Plenty of humanoids, but only one human at first (Mace) and, eventually, three (Mace, Obi-Wan, Anakin). Everybody else is an alien.

Not to mention the Senators-the vast majority of them are aliens, too. For human senators, we have Bail, Palpatine, Mon Mothma, Padme..and that's pretty much it for important human senators. Everyone else we see in there is an alien.

14. BigBoy29

BigBoy29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2004

That is the ONLY explanation as well.

15. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Besides Hayden also being the heart throb for us girls who love star wars. I mean, it keeps me buying Anakin/Vader merchandise besides him being my favorite character before the prequels.

I don't think there'd be many girls saying "Anakin was a hottie" if it was a Rodian.

16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Just the Rodian ones.

17. JedimasterMoon

JedimasterMoon Jedi Padawan star 4

May 4, 2005
    Well my guess is it would be the hardest for humans to survive in the galaxy, the aliens are built to live in the galaxy. But everywhere the humans go it takes a little more for them to adapt. So why not pick humans? They express more emotion than any other being in the galaxy.
    But then again maybe I'll be proven wrong, I doubt it though.

18. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    Fixed.

19. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Because the Force is a bigot.

:p

20. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Because Luke was human. GL couldn't retroactively change this once he got to the PT.

21. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
  22. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    Im sure it was simply a cinematic choice since the audience members are human themselves. It's easier to relate to a character when we have qualities we can identify with. Perhaps AI was not as successful as it wanted to be simply because the main character was a robot.

23. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I liked AI, but I can see how some folks wouldn't like it. A Spielburg/Kubrick blend is a pretty odd thing.

24. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Well sure, if you want a serious answer.

25. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Im sure it was simply a cinematic choice since the audience members are human themselves.

Indeed, well stated. This is why Han, Luke and Leia are all humans. They are the heroic trio. They should be characters we can find relateable, and making them human does this (in part). The alien (Chewie) and droids are important, but really they are sidekicks. I suspect that for this reason even if GL had made Ep. 1 first he'd have made the Chosen One human, but in the end he couldn't retroactively make Anakin anything but.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.