main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What does the ST add to the Saga? What is its story purpose?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthVist, Jun 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think one of the better ways to define the break some of us see between TFA and TLJ is how dramatically opposing (and even at times almost mutually exclusive) the core ingredients and creative philosophies of the films are in regards to where the audience is supposed to be focused and where character momentum is supposed to be derived from.

For instance, TFA was *all about* Rey and Finn as the core heart of the ST, to the point that Abrams exploited a reshooting opportunity to refocus on their bond. The idea was that no matter what was happening, no matter whether they were together or apart, their bond was the central relationship of the ST, as a found family for the two of them that could remain totally platonic and have all the focus. TLJ abandons that core concept almost entirely; it’s not just separating the characters for most of the film, it also honestly doesn’t want much focus on them as a duo at all - it’s much more focused on Rey and Kylo as a duo, and even seems to try and make the lesson of Finn’s story being that he can’t be bound to Rey.

To me, the execution of the changes were terrible, but even beyond that, it’s a radically different focus for the core ensemble that isn’t conducive to maintaining or building momentum across the two films in a single direction.

Then you’ve got how TFA was a film that wound up shoving Luke almost clear out of the film to keep him from overshadowing the new characters... while TLJ effectively embraces that, keeping him from being very beneficial to Rey’s story and even slotting him into the climax of the film instead of Rey. It again acts to reverse the original momentum of the story.

Even the military situation is kind of like that. Abrams and Kasdan were going for the FO as a pretty serious, no-nonsense nemesis, with Hux’s OTT speech meant to be more that of a terrifying fanatic than a joke... which is all Hux was in TLJ’s script, with even his best “serious” moment being improvised by the actor instead of the director. And whereas the FO was energetic, quick to respond, and came off as professional and competent in TFA, TLJ very deliberately wants them to be a lumbering, slow to act, pastiche of the mocked elements of the Empire.

It’s like TLJ entered trying to reprogram and repackage the ST after TFA established it in a way that TLJ didn’t care for.
    Rogue One also benefitted from ending up with a focused, consistent, and very serviceable story for its main protagonists in Jyn and Cassian to accompany the revolutionary viewpoint going more ground level and gritty as a war movie. I wouldn’t call Jyn and Cassian great leads, but they’re good enough for the film they’re in, as is Krennic, and the supporting ensemble cast is very well used and run on a lot of great concepts for characters.

And the “ground level” storytelling did wonders for the story - even though the Empire is still presented in a kind of incompetent light, they’re still played up as dangerous and threatening figures, and Tarkin and Vader are given the competent light to make them more intimidating. Vader especially benefits from the film’s ground level view, since it allows his larger than life fantastical elements to stand out even more.

In contrast, while I’d say that Rey, Finn, and Kylo all showed greater potential and were more engaging than Jyn and Cassian in TFA, TLJ kind of lost sight of that and wasted some of their potential in big ways, while also losing focus, and both TFA and TLJ are ultimately not trying to be as revoultionary in their setting and style as RO was; even for all the talk about subversion in TLJ’s story, it’s still by and large a very familiar pastiche of a the familiar setup of Star Wars.

2. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Same here. Although, I wanted them to go one better and have Luke and Rey trudge off to look for it together. I think it might have been leaked images like this that got my hopes up prior to the release. Why would Luke have a compass, travelling clothes, walking stick and a knapsack if not to go on some kind of quest? It breaks my heart honestly to think that he was just some suicidal old hermit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  3. DarthVist

DarthVist Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 20, 2019
    Also Anakin brought balance to the force when he killed Sheev Palpatine in Return of the Jedi, and so there was no Sith anymore, and thus there was no dark users of the force anymore. So that's another reason why the sequel trilogy didn't need to happen.

4. Oryx-I

Oryx-I Force Ghost star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    The word "subversion" was used a lot to describe what TLJ did to the narrative of TFA, but it's not what I would call it. I've noticed a pattern in the choices of Rian Johnson. Every single one of them was the easiest to write for.
    I guess his writing notes looked like this on this movie :

Who is Rey ? What is that business with her family ? Does she has any ties with the saga characters ? Is there a reason for Kylo Ren to freak out as soon as he hears from a "girl" on Jakku ?

Nah. Let's just say her parents were nobodies and forget about it. She'll cry for ten seconds when Kylo mentions that and it won't effect her in any other way.

What is the first order ? Do they still have an army after TFA or are they back to square one just like Leia ? What is going on in the rest of the galaxy ? Are people uniting against the new common ennemy or is it utter chaos ?

You know... people really like it when Star wars is just like the OT. Let's just pretend that the republic is nothing now and the First order is like the Empire at the peak of its power. We'll just give the fans more X-wing vs TIE fighters, some battle of Hoth redone and we're good. Oh, and let's call the good guys rebels again... it sounds so much better.

Who is Snoke ? Is he from the behond, from an unknown civilisation ? Did he make some kind of deal with the First order ? Did he initiate it ? Did he know Palpatine ? Vader ? Is he more powerfull than them ? Is he a Sith ?

Oh, we didn't need to know anything about the Emperor in Return of the Jedi, did we ? We just needed some kind of evil mentor for a while. I'll get rid of him two third into the movie, and untill that, I'll just give him some recycled lines from Palpatine. It will work just fine. Maybe I could change the color of his clothes. Now that would be a bold creative move !

What was Luke doing on that Island ? What does the first Jedi temple look like ? What sort of secrets about the Force could it contain ? Does Luke recognize Rey when she appears before him ? What are gonna be his first words to her ? What will the blue saber ignite in him ?

Now that's a hard one. I could get into some kind a convoluted quest to defeat the dark side or something, but I'm really not into that sort of thing. And there's no way I'll ask for help on this one. Lets just say that Luke came on this planet to die. He'll throw the light saber like trash and refuse to talk to Rey. Gee... I really dodged a bullet here. There was so much pressure around the first thing that Luke would say in this trilogy...
    People want him to return and kick ass, but that would be ridiculous. it's not like we've ever seen a Jedi face and defeat multiple opponents at the same time. Luke is not a god. I know ! He should just convince people that he has returned, so the fans get their wish and I don't have to explain how he even got away from that island. The perfect deal !

How to create some kind of trouble relationship between Kylo and Rey ?

Should I work on a complicated story where Kylo finds the temple by himself and confront Luke and Rey ? I could bring in those "knights of Ren" that I've heard of. But, I don't really care about them...
    Lets's just say Kylo and Rey can see each other from time to time. I guess the Force can do that.

How to make the pursuit between the First order and the Resistance last for a long time ?

Their ships go at the exact same speed and the First order officers never thinks about sending another ship in front of their ennemies... Because... er... They're dumb !

What about that vision when Rey touched the saber in TFA ? That looked important. And Maz sort of promissed the audience that the saber's backstory would be explained...

Screw that. I'll just destroy the saber and make it irrelevant.

And so on, and so on... :(

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  5. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    The reason there are contradictory statements is because anyone involved in the production has a clear and obvious incentive to say there was, in fact, a plan. But occasionally people slip up and make reference to the fact that there really wasn't one. And then we have Mark Hamill--who's basically gone rogue because of his untouchable status--who's publicly stated that there was less of a plan than even Lucas had for the OT.

I feel it's pretty obvious that we should give more weight to the statements that go against the incentive structure that comes with being involved in a corporate enterprise worth billions of dollars, because those are more likely to be the unvarnished truth. There's no reason for people to say there was no real plan unless that's true. There's plenty of reason, on the other hand, for people to say everything was planned, even if that's not true.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  6. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    All of that could be true. Or, alternatively, your inferences could be wrong. Obviously you can speculate all you want, but until we have a definitive and objective behind-the-scenes account we can't make any definitive statements on the matter.

7. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm not sure such a thing will ever be possible. Disney has a pretty tight control on the PR behind their properties. I can't believe they'd ever allow an "official" account that goes off message. But as TPC said, there is a financial incentive for one side of the debate that the other side simply doesn't have. People will just have to decide what they believe.

8. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    I tend to agree. It would be financially stupid for them to publicly state that there was no plan of any kind whatsoever. And I trust Disney and the regime at Lucasfilm under Disney less than I trusted Lucas. We'll never have definitive proof for one side of the debate or the other, but I simply don't trust Disney and Lucasfilm, at least when it comes to matters concerning the ST. To me, the return of Palpatine was the final straw - they'll never convince me that it too was planned beforehand.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I've always assumed that Palpy was part of Lucas' treatments maybe at the start, JJ tossed it, Johnson also tossed it, JJ brought it back, therefore "part of the plan". But we aren't LFL creative employees with access to the materiel so who the hell knows.

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm a SW insider!

I'm inside my apartment watching SW, that is.

BADUMP TSH

11. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    What we need is Supershadow back..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

godisawesome and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Nom von Anor likes this.
  13. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Probably not, but I'm sure a fuller picture will emerge over time. I was merely pointing out that the statements from various people may not be as contradictory a they seem. What MH means by there being no plan might be perfectly consistent with what KK means by there being a plan; one might be referencing a different level of detail than the other. Assuming that they are inherently contradictory, and therefore the financially interested party must be lying, is a conclusion that I think is based upon too little concrete evidence. To me their statements suggests that there is more to the story than we know and that it's possible that there is a middle ground. Or maybe people are lying. In short, I think people may be jumping to conclusions.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  14. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    To bad all of the new Legos aren’t selling as well as the OT stuff. My friend manages a store the Solo and VIII stuff we’re not what the OT and VII stuff were.

ami-padme likes this.
  15. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Toy sales down 5% in the US in 2017, hardly a surprise less was selling. Toy's are becoming a forgotten item.

16. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    All i can say is that it was worse than a 5% drop it’s one of the reasons they have started releasing more OT stuff and that crazy Millenium Falcon was released they made bank off that. So yes there are market conditions but when things trend below market conditions you have another problem

ChildOfWinds and Nom von Anor like this.
  17. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm sure there probably is a middle ground. I think it's likely they started with a plan, that has since been put in flux because of changing filmmakers. Filmmaker freedom may be a higher priority to them than strict adherence to "the plan". Like I said, we may never have enough info for more than this kind of speculation. People that really like the films will believe that it all went according to plan, and job well done. Those that don't like the films will believe the opposite. What're you gonna do, ya know?[face_dunno]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Hope people stay in their corners and leave the other faction alone. [face_dunno]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2019
  19. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    This is the internet. ;)
    [​IMG]

20. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    You don’t serve starfish?

How rude :p

The Deuteragonist likes this.
  21. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Yeah peoples opinion of the films are going to colour their perspective. My intent with my initial post was simply to point out that it's a lot less definitive then some suggest.

godisawesome likes this.
  22. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Agreed, we're all guessing here.

23. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Film Production can also end up becoming utterly insane even in the most plan-focused creator’s hands, for good and for ill.

Orson Welles one time was hired to finish direction and production on a documentary on a journalist’s investigations into an art fraud... only to find out that the journalist himself was a fraud.

Welles’s response? Get a big old belly laugh, and proceed to start incorporating illusions, fakery, and frauds into the “documentary” to make it one part education, one part entertainment, and one part massive troll job.

Stuff can have changed massively in the ST organically, remained the same throughout, or developed and grown out of the hand-off technique. We won’t know till the film comes out.

24. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I'm always of the opinion that so long as you land on your feat none of it matters.

A strange example is essentially how i handled my schooling...slacked off sometimes, studied hard near the end...so long as I scraped by with a passing grade I was happy ;p

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2019
  25. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    for entertainment/escape that's why i go to the movies and that's why i think any movie is made even the OT Star Wars!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.