main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why We Read/Write...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by JediJainaSoloFel, May 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthPolymerase

DarthPolymerase Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    I write because I know Star Wars much better than I know myself (JK!). I guess it's an escape thing for me, really. When I'm in the middle of a story, I don't have to think about life--everything to me is just, how can I get this in my story? How can I incorporate this theme or this phrase? It's SO much fun and I love the sense of catharsis and validation I feel once I'm done with a chapter. I've been a closet Star Wars fan fic writer since I was really young (around 7? My parents still have some of my stories *cringe*), so just for me to even post here is a huge personal accomplishment. I also write because it gives me something to do, seeing as I'm quite shy and don't really do the whole social thing. So Friday nights are spent writing at Starbucks or where ever and quite frankly, I have much more fun with my stories than I would going out. I also write as practice--I have always wanted to do something involved with the arts, although my parents would love nothing more than for me to go into medicine (hence, my Bio major which I'm really not too fond of. I am an English minor however and I tutor at my college's writing center, so I do get my fix.). Since I'm such a freaking goody-two-shoes, this is the way I rebel against them: with pen and paper! (Actually...more with laptop and word processor).

I read fan fic because it amazes me how many talented writers there are out there. Maybe I'm just sadistic, but I like stories that make me feel emotionally drained at the end--it's an amazing release. Plus, y'all inspire me to write better!

2. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    I write because I need an outlet for my creative juices. And it's fun.

I read because there isn't enough good literature out there. Fanfic tends to be better. And is cheaper.

3. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    Why? I have absolutely no life and live for responses from faceless people... *reads that sentence over again*

wow... I feel bad now...

Why I read? It's fun, reading is fun.

-The Scummy-

4. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Let's see... I started reading fan fiction when I was looking around for some Han/Leia thing. I saw some humor fiction and that just pulled me in. It's so much fun to read. It's great seeing, well, reading, what other people change from the books/movies.

I started writing in school because I was bored in class. I love writing and this way is fun! I didn't let anybody read them for many years though so I have a folder full of stuff!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.