main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Why weren’t TPM and the OT released on DVD in 2000?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darklordoftech, Mar 13, 2020.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    TPM was released on VHS and Laserdisc and the OT re-released on the same formats in 2000, so why not on DVD at the time?

2. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Considering how extensive the bonus content for TPM was, my guess is they were waiting for that to be finished. The same might be true for the others, plus the fact that GL wanted to make new alterations to further connect the two trilogies.

SlashMan likes this.
  3. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    DVD wasn't really all that much of a thing at that point in time anyway. It wasn't until late 2001 that the number of DVD-players sold moved past the number of VCRs sold. In 1999/2000 it was still much more of a niche market.

Star Wars was a bit late when it came to DVDs, but the market not really having exploded yet when TPM came out might have played a role in waiting a bit when dealing with that format.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I got my first DVD player around that year, and DVD really wasn’t that big then. And I agree about the extensive bonus content.

5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder what a 2001 OT DVD would have been like.

6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I recall when I got the DVD for TPM (as a gift-my first ever DVD!) in 2000, I saw a featurette on there where GL spent a lot of time talking about how great the "new" format DVD was, and how it finally enabled them to include lots of BTS and deleted material. I also think the reason the OT wasn't released on DVD at that time, is cos LFL wanted to see what would happen with the format before investing in it. They also did a massive amount of work for the 2004 DVD release, not only with actual changes/enhancements to the film, but also a meticulous frame by frame cleaning and digital transfer. That undoubtedly would've been quite time consuming.

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Lucas wanted the format to mature and for it to be more widespread before taking advantage of it (same thing happened with Blu-ray). That's why he waited until 2001 for TPM DVD release. And he even wanted to release the OT on DVD after ROTS, but piracy forced him to release it earlier.

Jediking97 and SlashMan like this.
  8. KyloLukeLeia

KyloLukeLeia Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 10, 2020
    From what I remember, Lucasfilm had a set number of DVD players sold before they would release anything on DVD. I can't remember what that number was, but they wanted to maximize the release of any SW movie and around 2001 is when DVD really hit the masses (the release of PS2 helped).