main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why Yoda doesn't beat Sidious

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Love SW2012, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Sidious69

Sidious69 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2004
    Its because Yoda fans are grasping straws.

Just like NFL fans grasp straws when their teams lost. If my team would have done this or that and because of this and that …my team would have won.

At best, they are both equal and at worst, Sidious is slightly stronger.

Both the junior, adult and even the graphic novels has Yoda not stronger than the Emperor. The screenplay itself has Yoda telling Qui-Gonn from the afterlife that he’s NOT STRONG enough to stop the Dark Lord.

The movie by itself….you can see they are both equals as the FINAL CLASH OF THE TITANS SCENE where Yoda ends up retreating at the end.

But yeah they were both set up to be the top 2 Force Users from Yoda making Dooku (who easily defeated 2 Jedi Knights) retreat to Sidious OBLITERATING 4 Jedi Masters on the council. Their duel was more of a main event to me than the Vader vs Obli-Wan.

In closing, Sidious and Yoda could have gone on and on while no one could beat the other while The Chosen One was meant as the one who tips the favor to one.

“You will not stop me. Darth Vader WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL than EITHER OF US.”

I read that as they are both equals BUT since The Chosen One is with Palpatine …..then Sidious has the edge.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  2. cantthinkofone

cantthinkofone Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 6, 2020
    the X-Wing is not a multi-ton spaceship. its a mini-fighter with warp speed.
    and jedi, not even yoda, arent superman. they dont fly. they have incredible powers, but flight is not one of them. they can manipulate the force, not gravity.

so lets put stuff in perspective, ok ?

the released and some cut scenes (depends on the scene content) of the movie is the only GL canon. clone wars pre-disney is also somewhat GL canon, but not entirely. anything you are using to explain is added by different writers. screenplay is unfinished story, it can help us explain stuff, not always and not everything.

regarding yoda strength, during the fight, sidious expression while battle the lightning was not only surprised, but also feared. once yoda pushed it and had a face of "now im pissed, lets get real", sidious was no long laughing. he was actually pushed back.
    this "clash" clearly shows us yoda IS stronger.

2:28-2:49

3. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    this makes no logical sense,

They can force jump...quite high. If that isn't defying gravity I don't what is,

being able to lift themselves and even float across the floor wouldn't be that big of a deal for them, if they wanted to do it.

4. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    @lord_sidious_

What irritates me about the new scene is that Vader seems to have just found out that Luke is his son from Palpatine and yet, he was already looking for him at the beginning of the movie. So??

In the original version, Vader has known since the beginning of TESB. In the DVD version, is Vader just now finding out from Sidious?

5. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    In the new version, Vader is clearly lying to Palpatine, since he already knows Luke's name before the movie starts. Palpatine's only just learnt the information, so takes it to Vader, not knowing that he has his own schemes regarding 'the son of Skywalker' that are in effect.

6. cantthinkofone

Apr 6, 2020
    they are strengthening themselves (or whatever) to JUMP high. but jump is not levitating. jumping is pushing yourself off the ground- going and up and down. levitating is going and staying up. no, not gonna happen.

if they were able to do it, im certain GL would have shown us this power in the prequels. he showed us force speed.

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Even in the DVD version, Vader says "That is the system, and I'm sure Skywalker is with them".

So Vader knows that an important figure in the Rebellion is called Skywalker, and is looking for him specifically. However, what he knows about Skywalker varies, depending on whether it's Legends or Newcanon. In Legends, while he knows a lot, he isn't certain that Skywalker is his own son, until the Emperor tells him - he entertained the possibility - but found himself dismissing it.

In Newcanon, he finds out that Padme gave birth before dying, some time before TESB, and so is certain that child is Luke, and his son. He doesn't find out she had two children though - hence his surprise when he senses from Luke's fears that Luke has a sister.

Jedi are seen "meditating crosslegged in midair" in both Legends and Newcanon.

8. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    I am so glad I watch the original versions so I don't have to deal with this nonsense.

Also, I might be mistaken, but I think GL says in the TESB commentary that the scene between Vader and Sidious is the scene where Vader finds out he has a son. Can anyone confirm that?

9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    If so, that would fit with how Legends handled it.

In this case, Newcanon gets to ignore commentary and change things around a little.

10. cantthinkofone

Apr 6, 2020
    newcanon ? you mean the one that is messy and related to a trilogy that killed star wars and turn the biggest movie franchise in the world to streaming shows that doesnt even feature jedi ?

disney owns the rights, but they will never find someone with the imagination of GL and storytelling ability.

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The Mandalorian had Jedi in.

darkspine10 likes this.
  12. Sidious69

Sidious69 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2004
    Clearly shows Yoda is stronger?? What??!!

That just shows us that a very serious looking Yoda still can’t defeat Sidious. They both got blasted and Yoda even realized it’s POINTLESS TO CONTINUE. The whole Jedi Order is gone and the whole galaxy will be under the Sith…it’s now or never. But instead he retreated. A Jedi is not afraid to die to save the galaxy BUT HE WAS JUST NOT STRONG ENOUGH TO STOP THE DARK LORD.

Sidious KNOCKED HIM OUT COLD with his first lightning. If Sidious wasn’t so overconfident he COULD HAVE EASILY have sped up there and stabbed him with his saber when it WAS OBVIOUS that Yoda was OUT COLD FOR MORE than at least 5 seconds.

But instead he wanted to relish his accomplishments and rub Yoda’s nose in it.

If Yoda was stronger he would have easily deflect the Giant Pods Sidious was hurling like small candies instead of just dodging them.

13. BlueYogurt

BlueYogurt Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2021
    Are you seriously suggesting that an X-Wing fighter, weighs less than a compact car? Even the actual plywood mock-up, must weigh well over a ton. As far as Jedi not being able to manipulate, or at least defy gravity, have you forgotten Rey's first scene in ROTS?

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    For whatever it's worth, the Wikipedia X-wing fighter entry gives it's weight as 10 metric tons.

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Seems legit for something that's comparable to a bus in size.

BlueYogurt likes this.
  16. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    I assume this means that Yoda weighs about 11 metric tons. He has heavy bones, you know.

17. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    why not? as stated they can lift things bigger than themselves, it's not a stretch to say they can't do it if they wanted.
    I for one think it would have been cool to see say, I dunno, Sidious floating towards Yoda or Luke :p

yeah but with force speed they use it only once, when it would have come in handy a few times.

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The old CW animated series did that with Dooku:

[​IMG]

BlueYogurt and Dandelo like this.
  19. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014

yes!

this is exactly what I was thinking of earlier

'a bold claim! but you are not Sith'

:p

BlueYogurt and Iron_lord like this.
  20. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    Vader sort of levitated, when he jumped down the stairs in ESB.

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    Adamantium.

The more impressive feat is when Vader levitate/falls down the steps in ROTJ without actually touching the steps.

BlueYogurt likes this.
  22. cantthinkofone

Apr 6, 2020
    these moments arent levitation. its gliding. not the same. levitation is going up and staying.
    this is levitation:
    [​IMG]

23. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    Which is exactly what Rey does in ROTS. So, there's proof that Jedi can levitate, and the proof is in the films.

Dandelo and FightoftheForgotten like this.
  24. cantthinkofone

Apr 6, 2020
    first of all, plywood is light. when it comes to weight, plywood is never an example.

now, if your only argument is the disney expensive fan-fiction that ended with rey calling herself skywalker because she felt like it, and even disney declared it as no longer canon, then your arguments are pretty much null.
    (a company that threw away GL story and rewrote him completely)

come with stuff from GL canon.

i dont know what type of busses you have where you live, but bsses here are 13.5 meters or 15 meters (depends on the type). the long ones are 18.75 meters.

the x wing is not even close to that. it cant even carry two guys in it.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
  25. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    You're right. Aside from Yoda levitating spaceships and huge pieces of machinery, Luke levitating rocks and droids, Vader tossing chunks of metal around with his mind, and Anakin levitating a piece of fruit, I can't think of a single instance in the GL canon.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
    Dandelo and FightoftheForgotten like this.