main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Why?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Xmaveric, Dec 3, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xmaveric

Xmaveric Jedi Master star 5

Nov 25, 2000
    Author Topic: Why?
    maveric
    Jedi Knight posted 08-02-2000 01:00 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Okay, this is a thread for posting questions of curiosity. Maybe questions that don't have a definate answer, but could use some speculation. Here's mine:
    In ESB, right before Han is frozen, Chewie goes on a rampage. Boba Fett gets ready blast Chewie, but Vader lowers Fett's gun, saving Chewie. Why?

------------------
    Joshua Gregory
    Ambassador for the South Bend, IN Forum
    MTFBWYA!

IP: Logged

Le_Penguin
    Jedi Knight posted 08-02-2000 01:07 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Vader's mechanical respiratory system gives him a very accute sense of smell, and he doesn't want everything to smell like burning hair for the next day or so.
    My question: why didn't Luke pick Janson for his gunner instead of Dak? Wedge obviously got the best gunner in the Rebel fleet, but I'm sure Luke got to pick first since he was the hero of the last battle. But no, he takes Dak: the single greatest threat to the rebellion since the first Death Star.

-Le Penguin
    "Who's scruffy-lookin'!?"

Le_Penguin
    Jedi Knight posted 08-02-2000 01:18 PM
    Seriously tho, I think Vader didn't want to go blasting any of his hostages until he had Luke within his grasp.
    -Le Penguin
    "All too easy."

Vader's Padawan
    Jedi Knight posted 08-02-2000 01:19 PM
    Well,
    I have heard some people claim that Vader knocked the gun away because he had built C3PO and did not want the droid damaged. That seems strange to me. After all, Vader had no qualms about cutting off his son's hand or attemting to turn him over to Palpatine.

maveric
    Jedi Knight posted 08-02-2000 01:25 PM
    Ha! OMG, this will forever go down in time as "The C3P0 Theory!!" That's the funniest thing I've heard all week. Kudos to Vader's Padawan!

As for the Dak question, I have often wondered this, too. Yousa point is...well seen. Anyone have any input?

Anyone? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone?

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

------------------

Joshua Gregory
    MTFBWYA!

[This message has been edited by maveric (edited 08-02-2000).]

Le_Penguin
    Jedi Knight posted 08-02-2000 05:06 PM
    First off, I love the 3PO explination. "That's my freakin' DROID, Dude!"
    Now then, as for Dak. Perhaps he was related to Biggs, so Luke took him under his wing. It makes sense: Biggs and Dak were both crappy in a firefight, and they both get to speak ominous lines that simply scream "hey, I'm gonna die." Sounds like brothers to me.

-Le Penguin,
    who even puts JediJeff above Dak

maveric
    Jedi Knight posted 08-02-2000 05:23 PM
    But...the whole relation defense wouldn't hold up, because Gavin is Biggs' cousin, and he is an awesome pilot, and the leader of Rogue Squadron. Right?
    ------------------
    Joshua Gregory
    MTFBWYA!

ScoobyDew
    Jedi Knight posted 08-02-2000 05:23 PM
    My theory would be that killing Chewie for (especially for what would be little reason) would simply make him a martyr. It would just be fuel for the fire of hatred towards the Empire. And by this time, people would have surely heard of Chewie, and he would be considered a hero of the Republic. Just a

2. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    JediJeff
    Jedi Knight posted 08-20-2000 06:48 PM
    Dead on, Penguin. Palpatine was having way too much fun as the ultimate evil. And anyone that can take out his #2 has got to be better than his #2, so be it.
    Okay, new thought to ponder, folks: just what the hell good was that white armor? One blaster bolt went right through it, eliminating the trooper. Was it just a scary image, or poor protection?

------------------
    JediJeff
    "Boring conversation anyway"

JediGemini
    Jedi Knight posted 08-20-2000 07:07 PM
    I'm gonna go with the fact that I'm sure most of the Imperial figure-heads-including Palpy and Vader-figured that they had so many stormtroopers, there were plenty to spare, rather than spending money to protect them with better armor. Besides, nothing else could be more revealing and terrorizing at the same time.
    ------------------
    Talented people are capable of understanding us!

Fulvia Blis
    Jedi Knight posted 08-21-2000 12:25 PM
    Did it ever strike anyone as odd that in ANH C-3PO interjects his need to power down just as Obi-wan brings out Anakin's lightsaber for Luke? I always found that scene a bit suspicious.
    [This message has been edited by Fulvia Blis (edited 08-21-2000).]

Vader's Padawan
    Jedi Knight posted 08-21-2000 01:59 PM
    In the novelization of ANH, C-3PO says, "I think I'll shut down for a bit. It will help the armature nerves to knit, and I'm due for some internal self-cleansing anyhow."
    Even a droid needed a rest after a run in with a group of Tusken Raiders!

JediJeff
    Jedi Knight posted 08-21-2000 02:41 PM
    Okay, did you know that off the top of your head VP, or did you look it up?
    ------------------
    JediJeff
    "Boring conversation anyway"

maveric
    Jedi Knight posted 08-24-2000 10:23 PM
    Have you ever wondered why technology seems to be at a standstill in the Star Wars universe? There really haven't been any innovations or inventions. Anyone else notice this?
    The only signs I've seen of technological progress is that the TIE fighters are more advanced in Episode 6 than they were in Episode 4.

What are your thoughts, comments, oppinions, rants on this subject?

------------------
    Joshua Gregory
    MTFBWYA!

Le_Penguin
    Jedi Knight posted 08-25-2000 05:56 AM
    Not just the TIE fighters, mav; the rebel ships were far more advanced in Jedi than the previous two films. The super-powerful B-wing and the super-fast A-wing were developed (I believe) between Empire and Jedi.
    If you want to take things a little further as far as gneral progress goes, Luke was forced to sell his speeder at a reduced rate in EpIV becase it was outdated.

There's more, but I'm tired and I need to go earn money.

-Le Penguin
    "Past instances in which I professed to like you were fraudulent."

JediAutobot
    Jedi Knight posted 08-25-2000 06:52 AM
    I believe the almost standstill of technology is the result of a stagnant Empire. I think I read in the SW Insider that the ships of Ep I, despite being the older ships, would look unique and new compared to classic triology ships because of the militant turn of the Empire. Ep I would have t

3. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    JediJeff
    Jedi Knight posted 09-13-2000 10:56 AM
    Listening to ESB as I type. Um...Lithgow did okay. Amd yes, it did take a lot in dialoge liberty adding here and there. Your fav pilot Dak had a few extra lines you'd be proud of!!!!!
    ------------------
    JediJeff
    god-like ChicagoForce scapegoat/punching bag

JediJeff
    Jedi Knight posted 10-31-2000 08:29 AM
    Hey...everybody remember this thread??? Well, it's back. Like I had said elsewhere, I had a thought SW related, and I wanted to pose it to all for your opinions on it:
    "He is the chosen one. He will bring balance to the Force." With that statement, Qui Gon professed that Anakin Skywalker was the one the prophecy claimed would arrive. My questions - How was the Force so out of balance? According to Yoda, there can only be two Dark Jedi at a time, which makes fine sense. Are they claiming that there were too many Light side Jedi and that some must be destroyed? Is it possible to have too much good in the universe?

Also, was balance achieved? The great Jedi purge during the Clone Wars took out Light side Jedi left and right, leaving, to the best of our knowledge, two Light side Jedis - Obi Wan Kenobi and Yoda. Wouldn't evil wish to entirely removed any trace of good? Did Vader cease his drive to kill the Jedi because he sensed the correct balance in the universe, or did he stop unconsciously? Now, with this balance existing, can we assume that Yoda had powers equal to that of the Emperor, and that Obi Wan matched up well to Vader? To me, that would have to be for there to be a balance in the Force. Then Vader takes out Obi Wan - balance had to be thrown towards the Dark side, right? No WAY Luke, at the point in time Obi Wan was struck down, was a Jedi on the level of Mr. Kenobi, so the universe must be back into it's state of inbalance. We jump ahead to ROTJ, Vader takes out the Emperor and dies in the process. Luke is the last standing Jedi (yes, Leia is Force strong but no Jedi training). Was the prophecy now complete?

Questions, questions. And forgive me, but I'm having a tough time really expressing my thoughts and opinions on this question today. Maybe a little sugar will help me.

------------------
    JediJeff
    Wes Janson in a bee costume

Empyre
    Jedi Knight posted 10-31-2000 08:45 AM
    I say that the very existence of the sith is what upset the balance. The sith manipulate the force rather than follow it. Anakin restored balance by destroying the sith. In TPM you may remember that the prophecy is not brought up until it has been shown that the sith are back. They probably had ignored the prophecy since there were no sith that were upsetting the balance.
    Or my other theory is that he somehow joined two aspects of the force that were previously seperate. You may remember that Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon have a disagreement about whether they should pay more attention to the future force or the present force. The book spells it out a little better than I do. In the classic trilogy there is no reference to these two sides of the force. perhaps Anakin unites them. Maybe that is what enables the Jedi to become one with the force after their death. Perhaps both theories are true.
    By the way, JediJeff, the imperials, including Vader, thought that all the Jedi were destroyed. He only stopped because he thought they were dead.

maveric
    Jedi Knight posted 10-31-2000 10:56 AM
    WOW...good question, JJ. I have pondered this many times myself. I think that my personal conclusion is that Anakin did bring balance to the Force by killing the Emperor. Luke could never have done it, but he helped Anakin do it

4. jedigal

jedigal Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2000
    I had a brand new "Why?" question that I was going to put up here today, and guess what happened? I got distracted by WORK and forgot the question. Now it is driving me crazy wondering what the question was. So I thought I would bump this thread in order that everyone else can be driven crazy by one more meaningless post. Also in the meantime, seeing this thread here will remind me that I need to remember this and eventually it WILL come to me, and hopefully I'll post it RIGHT AWAY, instead of waiting around or getting distracted by such ridiculous activities as working for a living.

5. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    Okay...I got one.

In Phantom Menace, on Tatooine, Jar Jar see some tasty food and grabs it with his tongue. Then, the other guy says "Hey, are you gonna pay for that? It's 7 Whuppy." (paraphrase) Then Jar Jar says "Seven Whuppy!" (sorta) Does Jar Jar know the language, which I assume is Huttese? How would he know what the guy was saying? Was this just a mistake? Am I reading into it too much?

What do you guys think?

6. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    I simply assumed they were speaking Basic. Especially if you do not recognize the type of being (I assume the vendor had never seen a Gungan), addressing them in Basic seems to me the smart thing to do.

I think seeing this as a goof by Lucasfilm would be too hard on them. They had enough real goofs in this d@mn movie.

Also, kudos to Lucas and the SW universe for having addressed the language issue in a much more satisfactory way than it has been dealt with in the Star TREK universe. I just don't buy that computer translated language bit. Give me a break. Languages are far too complex. IM(not too humble)O.

7. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    If they were speaking basic, why was there a subtitle on the bottom of the screen?

8. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    Oh, yeah!!

Um.... my bad.

9. JediGemini

JediGemini Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I just figured Jar Jar got the drift from the tone of that alien-dudes voice. I mean, even if we don't know how to speak French, we know when they're mad, right? What's that phrase, "Actions speak louder than words." Or in this case, voice tone or whatere. So, I that's how I saw it.

10. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    I thought it was Huttese also since Hutts make so many shipping deals, it would make sense that it's a common trading language. I believe that's what Watto tried first to Qui-Gon, then he switched to Basic. I don't think JarJar really understood what he was saying, just the word Wupi (however it's spelled.) That might be a common montetary value, like dollars. In the US it's dollars, same in Canda (just different dollars) The word dollars is familiar to people in other countries like Mexico (pesos) and the UK (pounds) So JarJar probably picked up on the price in general. And you thought you were the only one who wondered about that!

11. Empyre

Empyre Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2000
    After Hoth was Luke still a private citizen or was he part of the Alliance Military? If he was part of the military as was implied by the speeder pilot looking for him (he called him commander), why was it okay for him to go AWOL after Hoth. Are the rebels that undisciplined?

12. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    That's a great question. And one that, I would bet on it, has probably been "officially" answered in EU material, most likely in some of the comics.

13. Empyre

Empyre Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2000
    It's definitely not in any of the books. Anyone know if it was in a comic?

14. JediLars

JediLars Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2000
    I guess the EU books do state it in a round about way. What I mean is as each individual ship that takes off, they would have to do multiple jumps through hyper space so that the empire can't detect were is the Rebillion's final distination. And I suppose that they each had a certain amount of time before they were considered missing, because of the multiple jump points that would be taken place. Remember Han was a Captian and part of the military, he too would be considered awol.

I don't know maybe someone else can draw a different conclusion. :)

JediLars

15. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    I've been thinking about this. My first thought was that maybe after the scene with Luke and Artoo as Luke resets his course, and just not something shown in the movie, Luke sends a coded transmission to the Rebellion. But the more I thought about it, the less likely I think that to be. Luke would know the Empire would go to great lengths to decode any transmissions made to or from the Hoth sector around the time of the evacuation.

16. BoB

BoB Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Luke just had his hand cut off and no longer had his xwing. THey probably figured he had some problems. Han on the other hand just quit the rebellion to pay off his debts. So he didn't have to go straight there anyway.

THe big question is what happened to Lukes Xwing that was on cloudcity.

17. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Luke blew up the freakin' Death Star. If he wants to take a little break to hang out in a swamp, I think he earned it! :)

I just say that Luke, when told that the Rebels will be abandoning their base on Hoth, stated he was told in a vision to go train as a Jedi. Leia must have known well that Luke wasn't nuts, and gave him that permission.

18. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    Would the Rebels really consider Han's actions as AWOL? I don't think so,
    First, he was already leaving the Rebellion before the Empire even showed up. Since he was yelling at Chewie in the hanger bay about getting ready to leave, it didn't seem like he was trying to sneak away. He could of just went to the Alliance and said, "Listen, after Ord Mandrell, I can't stay, I have to take care of this business with Jabba." The rebels said sure, Han gets ready to take off.
    Second, when they are evacuting, the Falcon is one of the last to leave. I'm sure some Rebels saw that the Falcon was in some major trouble before they jumped out. It would be assumed that they were MIA when the didn't show up.

JediAutobot

19. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Actually, I want to know why Lando pronounces Han's name differently than everyone else.

Phil

20. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    I wondered that too?

21. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2001
    Why ask why, try Bud Dry...

Uhh, this isn't www.beer.com is it?

22. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    We already have a beer thread. http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=1482246&replies=10 See?

Phil

23. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    Why does Lando pronounce Han's name differently?

Well, I figure it's all b/c that is the kind of small detail that George was NOT worried about. Anyone who's read the book EMPIRE BUILDING (I think that's what it's called) would be in tune to that. George just made sure that the actors carried the right mood. When it comes to details, I'm afraid those get short shrift unless it comes to special effects...

There are other examples of different pronunciations, off the top of my head - Alderaan is pronounced with both a short and a long A in the last syllable.

24. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    Don't forget Leia's pronunciation of Tarkin. I swear it sounds like she's saying Tuck. I've listened to it over and over and only the closed captioning convinces me she is saying Tarkin.

25. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2001
    In responce to:

Why does Lando pronounce Han's name differently?

There are other examples of different pronunciations, off the top of my head - Alderaan is pronounced with both a short and a long A in the last syllable.

It could also be just like real life. People talk different ways and pronounce things differently. Example, my last name is Rea. How would you pronounce it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.