main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Amph Wicked - Is it good?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Mister_Master, Jul 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister_Master

Mister_Master Jedi Master star 6

Oct 17, 2007
    Hello.

I am thinking about reading Wicked but I am wondering if it is any good; or anything like the play? Has anyone here read it, and would you recommend reading it?

2. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Ive never read it but know people who have enjoyed it...

3. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    The book is pretty good, especially if you liked The Wizard of Oz. The play is better, though.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Lucasfilm Ltd Mod star 10 Staff Member Administrator

May 25, 2002
    Haven't read it yet but it is in my reading pile. There's also a sequel called Son of a Witch.

5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I didn't enjoy it, but I'm a huge sap. I know plenty of people who have. It'd worth a read, anyway, if you haven't. (Though I agree with Xan that the play was better :p )

6. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    [face_laugh]

Yeah, if you're a sap ... :p Wicked-the-book is incredibly, frustratingly tragic in that all the main characters are fascinating, three-dimensional and sympathetic characters, complete with hopes and dreams and fears, that tend to do exactly what is worst for them all the time. I think the author was trying for a meta-commentary of the human condition or something, but the end result is that I often wanted to smack said characters. The play manages to smooth it all out while still (more or less) staying true to the spirit of the book.

7. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 9

Mar 26, 2001
    QFT.

8. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    Actually, there are three books in the series:

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West
    Son of a Witch
    A Lion Among Men

Of the two sequels, I thought Lion was much better. It's basically what happens to the Cowardly Lion after the events seen in both Oz and Son of a Witch. But you really need to read all three to get the whole picture. And I'll say what I've always said regarding the book/play: the book is an entirely different animal from the musical other than the same set of characters and a few events that are found in both. Wicked the book is much darker than the musical. I would not recommend it to anyone younger than 16 or so(maturity is rather weird these days) because of that. Since you're older than 16 (otherwise you wouldn't be here) you should be fine. :)

9. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Well, 13's the age limit :p But I agree, the book has some mature content parts. (Of course, so does a lot of fantasy 8-} )

10. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    I didn't like the book at all. But, have wanted to see the musical. It's coming to litlle rock in nov and we have discussed going.

11. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    The first time I tried reading the book, I hated it. Threw it across the room, to be exact, after three chapters. I remember that I really did not appreciate the Prologue. At all. This was like four years ago, maybe.

Then I read it again a couple of months back and loved it. It's gritty. It's got awesome atmosphere. And, strangely enough, while I didn't like any of the characters, per se, I did like to read about them and find out what happened. And there were an awful lot of characters that I just loved to hate, and for some reason I like that. I've never read a book quite like Wicked and its sequels (I think Wicked is the best of the three, but that point is debatable), so I found it well worth my time once I managed to warm up to it. It's not everyone's cup of tea.

Wicked the musical - awesome. I saw it on Broadway. It is awesome.

... it's a similar story, but very different in tone and style and personally, I think the characters are all almost completely different except for a few trademark characteristics dotted about here and there.

I will not say that I liked one more than the other, just as I will not say that I think one is better than the other. They are very different forms of media accomplishing different tasks with the tools at hand. I love them both, but in different ways. IMO, they're two different stories. Same characters, same setting, similar plot - but different stories, plain and simple.

12. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Jill - you should go! It's very good.

Idri - I agree; they're pretty much two different stories. (Also, I love that you throw books across the room :D )

13. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Ehh... that's a symptom of something called DRAMA STUDENT RAGE AT LITERATURE. Only to be done in private, otherwise someone might get hurt. :p

But yeah. The two things are so different (book... play.... book... play...) that you can hardly really compare them except in generalized terms. They both have their merits, but hey, different media means different things. *shrug* It's like comparing a book to the Film of the Book, except in this case it's the Play of the Book. Or the Musical Inspired by the Book. :p

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Lucasfilm Ltd Mod star 10 Staff Member Administrator

May 25, 2002
    I've been known to throw books across the room as well. However, about the only place I can do that now is in the kitchen or bathroom. Too much chance of hitting a bit of the SW collection otherwise!

15. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Sep 5, 2004
    Glad to know I'm not the only one who throws books. :p

Eh, I started it. It was okay. I might like it better if I actually finished it though.

16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I just finished Wicked the other day. It wasn't bad. I haven't read the sequels yet though.

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I thought abotu the sequels and decided not to go for them - they seemed to not be for saps.

LAJ and FG - [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.