main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Saga Wife of Deceit: In Love and Truth--The Fall of Lady Palpatine--Winner of Best OC Female

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DarthIshtar, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnakinsFavorite

AnakinsFavorite Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 10, 2006
    First and foremost, CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR WIN!!! OC characters are hard categories to vote on, especially since a lot of people aren't so fond of the concept, but Amne was certainly worth the Golden Yoda!

On the topic of OC's, I like them alright... but it takes a well-written one for me to enjoy reading about them. Here, you have mannaged to pull a character out of thin air and make her so believeable that I can almost picture her standing beside him in the senate box in TPM.

That whole bit with him accepting the position of Chancellor was bone chilling. [face_worried] It sort of made me think of the scene in ROTS where he calls for the galactic Empire... that kind of bone-chilling.

What I think makes this so interesting is that you have two very strong willed and powerful characters... who are, otherwise, completely opposite of each other. Oh, Palpatine might seem like a good guy and close to Amne in person, but in truth it is the fact that we all know that he's secretly a Sith Lord which makes it such a great contrast. Amne is a good woman- a teacher, loving wife, and all all-around good person. She doesn't seem to think about herself too much and is pretty simple. Cos, on the other hand, seems to be that way, but he is actually using this goodness as a facade to achieve more power... and ultimately show his evil side. You have the nice kind teacher paired up with a Dark Lord... so, while it seems that their interactions are simple, it is on a compeltely different level because we know what he's really up to.

I love all the detail you have put into this. I do not know all the details as to how politics, marriage ceremonies, etc. work in the Star Wars world... but you have written them so intricately here. For all I know, this could be a compilation of many sources... or you've taken the time to intricately detail it together- in the end, it is quite amazing how you do it. I wish I could do detail work like that :p

Is it wrong that I'm enjoying this story so much because I can't wait to see how badly this all goes down? :p

I like how you are following the plot of the SW movies... but showing it from an alternate point of view (from an OC character) keeps it fresh and exciting. Trust me- I know how tricky that is to pull off.

So, it begins :p Look for me on the second part here soon! Terrific job with this story... everytime I've picked it up, I can't believe myself for procrastinating in reading so much ;)

AF

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master star 9

Mar 26, 2001
    AnakinsFavorite--Aww, thanks, co-auth! :) Glad to see you caught up. It's an honor. Thanks for the congrats. I was stunned seriously to get the OC female win. They really are hard to do. I'm so glad that she is believable to you because it's been so hard to make sure she doesn't overstep the bounds of where an OC could/should fit into the scheme of things. I have seen so many bad ones where a...ahem...OFC who looks suspiciously exactly like the author happens to be found on the side of a road and ends up doing all the things that the main characters supposedly did. Of course, yes, Stacey is someone who can take credit for Han Solo's return, half the stuff at Jabba's palace, etc... I'm off-subject. Anyway! I was so pleased with that part about him accepting the position of Chancellor. He creeped me out with the whole "I will be Chancellor" thing in TPM because you could see that it's been in motion for years and he's just been looking for the right opportunity and he's going to make it another opportunity. Yes, that's what I had in mind--that kind of bone-chilling! Good perspective on the characters. I hadn't thought of it quite like that. Yes, they are complete opposites supposedly believing in the same thing, but with the major twist of everything he professes is a lie. Complete lie. Except we don't know his real reasons for marrying her in the first place. Interesting. I have made up most of the details in this. Some of it is inspired by watching way too much West Wing, others from other fics I've written, etc. Thanks for thinking it amazing. You DO do good detail work, punk! I want to finish this so I can see how badly it all goes down. I mean, I have it planned, but the characters have a life of their own on some emotional levels. I love using the plot of the Star Wars movies because I've always been fascinated by the public response to all that's going on and the villain's wife is an unusual way of doing it. The idea of a third-party perspective first inspired me for To Cast Away Stones and now with this. Thanks for liking how it's "pulled off." Yes, it begins. Mwahaha. I'm still looking for you on the second part. Put down your research and catch up , please. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.