main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will Episodes 7, 8 and 9 be made after all?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Ulfor-Bombaasa, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Plus, I want to see after the last adventure of Luke Skywalker, the flash forward to R2 and 3PO telling the stories to kids just as Lucas stated would happen.

For anyone concerned about what it would do to EU I offer the invention of holothrillers and holodramas in recent novels as a way around it. The movies are what happened and the novels that can't fit in the timeline would be recognized as holothrillers.

Do it George. Complete it Goerge. You know you want to.

2. princesleiaorgana7

princesleiaorgana7 Jedi Knight

Feb 20, 2007
    I hope that Lucas does it soon.

3. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    I wouldn't hold my breath. :p

4. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    It's not gonna happen [face_not_talking]

5. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I love when people stop by just to post "nope" or that Lucs said he won't do it.

I was at Celebrations when Lucas said, in person, "No original trilogy on DVD." About a year later they came out on DVD.

6. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    If you were at the SW 10th Anniversary convention in 1987 you would have heard Lucas utter the following when someone asked him if he would consider continuing the story in novels, the way they had made Splinter of the Minds Eye and such before:

"No, no books. If I [do more Star Wars stories]I WILL do them as movies."

Guess that plan didn't last long.

Thing is, Lucas changes his mind so frequently that his "word" doesn't really amount to anything. He says he doesn't want to do any more movies, ever--but then 3 years later he released The Clone Wars movie in theatres! He says there will be no more 7-9 because its the story of Darth Vader--but this was a 180 change from what he said in 1980, where he said the series was the Adventures of Luke Skywalker and that more films would follow him when he is grown up. Whose to say that Lucas won't either decide that the Tragedy of Darth Vader can have a reflective bookend to it or that the Star Wars Saga is not The Tragedy of Darth Vader but The Saga of the Skywalkers, as was his initial plans, and make a trilogy about Luke's son/apprentice as the New Republic is built and the sins of the past are confronted.

7. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Well, I certianly hope 7,8, & 9 are made at some point. After watching the entire saga with the family over the Holidays my interest for this incredible series has been re-ignited to the point where I want it to NEVER end.

Although, Im somewhat more intrigued by what happens well before TPM as opposed to going further with the ROTJ and/or things that happened after that film. But, Id be the first in line if they ever decided to film "Truce at Bakura" or whichever novel/story they decided to go with. You could argue that either a film about the pre-TPM times would be the best way to go or just carry on with our current characters as in Han & Leia and the rest of the gang!

man...the possibilities! =P~

8. Darth_Laudrup

Jul 7, 2004
    You can't really compare The Clone Wars movie to making a "real" movie.

9. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    I know its not quite as "canonical" as having a live-action continuing of the "Episodes" but its significant enough. Lucas said there would never be another Star Wars film ad then there was. But my point stands in spite of this anyway.

10. Darth_Laudrup

Jul 7, 2004
    Did Lucas say there ewould never be another Star Wars production?

When Lucas says movie, my assumption is that by movie he means live action motion picture or another live action feature length episode of the SAGA.

But ofcourse I might be wrong. That definition is ofcourse just my assumption.

11. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I believe he said SW would continue on TV, not in movie theaters.

12. kardde20

kardde20 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2008
    my hunch is that after the live action series set between 3 and 4, we'll see lucas revisit the original series and what happens after rotj. what i really hope lucas does is make a cgi film of shadows of the empire, turn michael stackpole's x-wing series into a live action or cgi tv series, and then film all of tim zahn's thrawn material and make that episodes 7 to whatever. however, what i think lucas would do is go with dark empire (which he is rumored to love), which i am not a fan of. imo, luke's flirtations with the dark side and the saga of palpatine ended on the second deathstar in rotj. to bring up both of these topics again seems to really cheapen and downplay the events of rotj. dark empire was a really really bad and silly idea. zahn and stackpole really did a great job continuing the adventures of luke and co. and that's the material that lucas should go with. and i wouldn't take anything that lucas says seriously. the man seems to change his mind about everything all the time. he told henry gilroy and dave filoni that jabba was off limits to them for use in the clone wars film/tv series. a day later lucas changed his mind and jabba was given a prominent role in the clone wars film. he's mr. flip flop and i think that he will change his mind on films taking place after rotj. i just hope that he isn't the sole writer and that he doesn't direct. the clone wars tv series works with a team of writers and w/o lucas directing and it works well. luke's saga, as well as those of the other main characters and the rebellions fight against the empire was never resolved on screen. for that you have to look to the comics and novels which is a real shame.

13. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I think ther should be a 7,8, & 9, and the last one should end with the death of Luke. Put the whole thing into context & end with 3 trilogies.

PT = Anakin's trilogy
    OT = Anakin & Luke's trilogy
    NT = Luke's trilogy

THE END

14. Darth_Laudrup

Jul 7, 2004
    Most likely there will be people demanding a Ben Skywalker trilogy after that.

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    And an Episode Zero as well! :D

16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Which is almost true... since the Clone Wars movie was just an offshoot of the TV series. They intended to make it just as a TV show, but once Lucas saw how good it looked on screen he couldn't resist having the series kicked off by a theatrical release. But that was still essentially a few episodes of the same TV show pushed together into a movie-length release... not the same deal as a live-action film produced from its onset to be just that, and presented as an "Episode" of the saga.

17. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Maybe a Trilogy of films set in the KoTR time should be made. Its kinda hard to think there will be no Star Wars movies in the future anymore.

18. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    It's depressing to think that!

19. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    My concern is...

If these movies are eventually made, what period after ROTJ would sustain itself and make a good movie?

20. skywalkerz

skywalkerz Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 25, 2005
    Aww... I wish George or his son, Jett would go through with making a sequel trilogy, not more prequels.

Or, maybe George Lucas ain't up for it as it will be in the future.

21. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Downside is that his deceit works both ways. He is a lying liar. He lied to Spielberg and told him that he had a planned out Indy trilogy in his head. George is an amazing salesman, even to his best friend.

The whole idea of a 12 part story could be just as easy ethereal. After six movies, haven't we seen the creative input of everything he ever put down on paper?

Never say never, of course...

22. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    Wow, some of you guys are pretty brutal on here. No matter how much I disliked certain elements of the Star Wars films, I consider Lucas to be beyond reproach. He's the sole reason we're even having these discussions, and if he wants to change his mind every five minutes or blurt out absurdities and falsehoods at will, that's his prerogative. Just sit back and wait for a product. If we don't get one, we don't get one. But we have Star Wars. Six movies of the stuff, along with countless splinter-stories and reference material. I realize we're all about wanting what we haven't got, but sometimes what you have has to be enough, you know.

That aside, I don't see why The Saga (or a derivative of the saga) can't be allowed to continue, since the resounding theme of the original movies (and of life itself, particularly in the political sphere), is about corruption. A rebuilt republic (or existing system elsewhere in the universe, or whatever), will always be a target of corruption in some capacity. There's always a rogue power issue to address. It's a theme that can play out over and over again; you just need interesting characters to pull it off.

IMHO.

23. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Well said Keycube, well said.

24. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    Lucas said that star wars is about Darth Vader. Darth Vader died in 6...so sorry but no episode 7. The saga is complete.

25. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    And what would the sequels focus on anyway?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.