main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will Episodes 7, 8 and 9 be made after all?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Ulfor-Bombaasa, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beatles1138

beatles1138 Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2007
    Didn't GL say that Dark Empire was ver close to his vision of VII-IX?

That would be a cool movie.

2. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    I thought the 'love conquers all' ending was kind of lame and incesty.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    That whole tabloid this is so fake. Let's break it down.

Harrison Ford goes from being offered $47 million for Han Solo to $47 million for Indiana Jones. While Paramount will be funding Ford's paycheck and part of the budget for Indy IV, Lucas is the one who pays his Star Wars actors. And it sure as hell won't be $47 million. That's most of Lucas' budget right there. Ford turned down the offer to do more films, way back when. Lucas knows that and respects that. Mind you, no one else has said jack about there being a new Star Wars. We hadn't heard from anyone at ILM. Nothing from Rick McCallum. Nothing on Hyperspace. We've heard repeatedly from Lucas, within the last year even, that there will not be another film. Just a live action series and an animated series.

4. Obi-Bob

Obi-Bob Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 16, 1999
    What I got from the article was that Lucas approached Ford with the idea of playing Han Solo again as an ice-breaker and something of a joke. Then he switched gears and proposed the Indiana Jones thing.

While I do want 7-9, this article doesn't get me all that excited. I do remember the Peter Meyhew thing, but I think, like stated above, that this is Lucas keeping his bases covered. I think he likes to have his options, regardless of what his curent plans may be.

5. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    I wouldn't get excited over the article either b/c it's prob BS.
    However, I still believe in never say never when it comes to another SW movie(s).

Jamie, you musta seen every GL interview that ever was I assume o_O

6. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    I'd love to see more Star Wars movies and Lucas would be a fool not to produce more. But I'm not sure an Episode 7-9 would work. The "saga" story is pretty wrapped up. I'd like to see other stories that are involved in the SW universe though. They could be during the "saga" time period, before or after. As long as they are well done it would be great to see.

7. SEPARATESICKLEROOK2

SEPARATESICKLEROOK2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 1, 2003
    i would love to see more SW films, but i dont know where or when they would take place. The EU has pretty much muddied the waters almost up to a century after ROTJ. Anything that 7-9 could do would trample over all those books that were written, and I just dont see Lucas confining his creativity to the themes and events set forth in the post ROTJ books. Not that I would mind if he did.

8. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    Show me one interview where GL said he would never make the prequels, and your credibility shall be restored.

9. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    I couldn't agree with you more. I love the EU in general, but the post-ROTJ novels (the Dark Horse stuff was good) was surprisingly poor in quality and often beating a fairly decomposed horse most of the time! I wouldn't mind if Lucas threw the post-ROTJ EU out the window. He's done it in the past, look at the Marvel comics!

10. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    "I will never make Star Wars prequels" - George Lucas, some magazine interview sometime before 1994 :p [face_whistling]

If Lucas did do more films, why would it have to be a trilogy? He could do a one-off film about the formation of the Republic and the fall of the Sith a thousand years before Star Wars, he could do a Yoda film, a Luke Skywaler exploring the galaxy film, it doesn't have to be a trilogy and it doesn't have to be part of the saga. The saga is 1-6. If Lucas does a sequel, it doesn't have to be Episode 7...a prequel doesn't have to be Episode 0.

11. Hootini

Hootini Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2006

That's EXACTLY what I think too.

12. the-shrude-dude

the-shrude-dude Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2005
    economics. He's already stated his desire to get out of blockbusters because of the cost. The profits arent there anymore - what with there being twenty plus "blockbuster" type movies very year. Competition is tough.

13. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    Greetings, Obi-Bob.

Based on the wording in the article, my interpretation was similar to yours.

On the other hand, I still believe that Lucas is considering the possibility of future Star Wars films...

...mainly because I want it to be true.

14. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    It will probably never happen, but Lucas could do smaller films within the Star wars universe as well. There's a galaxy's worth of stories to tell and they don't all have to be blockbusters.

The thing about Star Wars is that after 30 years, there's so much potential there beyond the saga, and while there have been books and comics etc, it's only with videogames and now the tv series that the potential is being realised. I for one would have loved to have seen a smaller spin off film about Han's adventures as a smuggler, Boba's rise to fame as a bounty hunter (which will probably happen in the series) a day in the life of a Jedi.

Stories that could be done on smaller budgets, or a collection of mini-series...even DTV movies...I've always thought that Star Wars, in spite of the money it's made over the years, has been a goldmine of untapped potential.

15. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    I would love to see Episodes VII, VIII, and IX, but Lucas has been pretty straight forward that he doesn't have the energy to take on another trilogy. While I totally agree that the saga ends perfectly as it is, I think that if he wanted to make more movies, he easily could, and it would work great.

For those of us who were around when the OTs came out, the true Star Wars myth, right alongside Anakin and Ben dueling over a volcano/reactor, was that there would be nine movies. That was hardcore Star Wars lore at the time, and to me, it'd be amazing to see Lucas fully deliver on everything.

I'm just hoping that maybe after Lucas sees Avatar, he'll wanna get back in there one more round. If Cameron is able to raise the bar high enough, with the 3-D and everything, maybe that would give Lucas a reason to change his mind.

16. Ulfor-Bombaasa

Ulfor-Bombaasa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 17, 2006
    At one point, GL considered 12 episodes but later lowered that number to 9 with the middle trilogy being completed first and the intention of going to the prequels next and the final trilogy last. In a parallel way, the "middle" Indiana Jones film, Raiders of the Lost Ark, which takes place in 1936 came out first while the "first" film, Temple of Doom, which takes place in 1935 came out second and Last Crusade which takes place in 1938 came out last. This parallel timeline treatment was intentional.

I think one of two scenarios lies ahead for Star Wars fans. Either there actually will be a final trilogy of three movies or as someone suggested in an earlier post, there could be a one-shot Episode 7 which would be followed up by a second live action TV show following after the conclusion of Episode 7. I believe "no more Star Wars movies" is just about as likely as Last Crusade being the final Indiana Jones film.

17. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    God, I ain't posted for ages. After reading this, though, I thought I'll issue you all with my two cents.

I'll never forget this programme I recorded off TV over here in the UK. It was the run up to TPM, and it was basically telling how Star Wars came to be and so forth. Anyway, there are two interesting interviews. One with Spielberg and one with Hammil. In Spielberg's (I know it?s not really news to some) he say's how George 'always wanted to do nine'. Mark Hammil's one was more interesting, however. It showed a clip of him on an old talk show (I think it was an English talk show) and he was going on about a conversation he and George had when they just finished shooting ROTJ. He said that George asked him how he would feel about coming back to Star Wars in 2011. Then Hammil made a joke about it I think, how George said something about handing down a sword (lightsaber?) Excalibur style.

I know it's not much, but I thought I'll share it. Needless to say, since then the tape has vanished into thin air. It was probably Lucas to keep me quiet. I have no doubts, though, that Lucas does have a series or stories based after the events in ROTJ.

18. Ulfor-Bombaasa

Mar 17, 2006
    Thanks for your interesting post! This squares with some of the interviews I remember in the US before and after TPM came out though I'd never heard about the 2011 date until now. Even though the Star Wars portion of the Daily Star story has now been discredited, I still believe there are far more reasons for three more movies to be made than not. George Lucas could direct Episode VII and Steven Spielberg could direct the next two. It even sounds like this is something they've discussed from time to time. Speilberg even did some uncredited second unit work on Episode III.

It also makes sense to me as to why they would go through periods denying that the next movie or movies will be made. Star Wars and Indiana Jones fans would hound them for details incessantly if they admitted that more movies were on the way. By saying "that's it - no more movies will be made", they can keep the fans off track until they're finally ready to go back and continue that series. That certainly is what they did with the prequels and Indiana Jones IV.

I think the only real question to be asked is whether post-Episode VI Star Wars will be handled in a new trilogy or a second live action TV series or some combination of both movie(s) and TV.

19. acmilanboy

acmilanboy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2005
    Fairly decomposed horse? Now that's an understatement... [face_laugh]

I agree: I like the EU too, but many plotlines involve some Imperial Captain/Admiral/etc. gaining power and wreaking havoc on the New Republic, something that isn't the best material for a feature film/blockbuster.

That being said, do you think GL would use remnants of the Galactic Empire (e.g., much of the Thrawn trilogy) or another foe (e.g., Truce at Bakura, the New Jedi Order) in a sequel?

In my opinion, the Empire was effectively beaten in ROTJ, leaving any battle against them shallow and pedantic. If he can develop a new foe for the New Republic (if he acknowledges the "New Republic" as set down in the EU), then...well, (considering all the allusions to Indiana Jones) God be with him on his quest.

20. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Steven wanted to direct RotJ, but pressure from the Director's Guild forced Lucas to look past both him and Kirsh for a non-guild director.

21. Ulfor-Bombaasa

Mar 17, 2006
    This is correct, but I think things would be different now.

22. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    Listen to this tune I wrote. It's called "Episodes 7, 8 and 9 Ain't Gonna Happen"...

[face_whistling]

and here's the bridge to the chord changes...

[face_whistling]

I'm thinking a samba beat would be nice. You know, something we can dance to?

23. Avid_Prequels_Fan

Avid_Prequels_Fan Jedi Master star 2

Sep 14, 2003
    You are not. Hear! Hear! :cool:

24. Ulfor-Bombaasa

Mar 17, 2006
    But both of you would go see them along with the rest of us, most of whom would like to see more Star Wars on the big screen.

25. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    No, it won't. Lucas would still fund the project because he doesn't want Fox to have creative control. Any director who works for him directly, has to either give up their DGA cards or not be a member to begin with. Indiana Jones is a different matter, since it is a joint Lucas and Spielberg project that is within DGA guidelines. The budget for the first three films came largely if not entirely from Paramount. The new film is being co-financed by Lucas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.