main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will Episodes 7, 8 and 9 be made after all?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Ulfor-Bombaasa, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    I actually think being able to debunk all the EU stuff would be a reason Lucas WOULD want to make the sequel trilogy. I think that depending on the success of the TV show, who knows, Lucas could try to dovetail parts of the show into a third trilogy. Perhaps he could use new bad guys created for the TV show, remants of which are still alive 50 years later, as new foils for Luke, Leia, Han and their kids. It sounds out there now, but if the live action show becomes hugely successful, a "big surprise" to everyone including Lucas himself, it could change things.

It's totally possible that the TV show, if done right, could make Star Wars bigger than its been since the premiere of The Phantom Menace.

If this were to happen, it could be blended into Episodes VII-IX, combining both worlds.

Maybe some day.

2. Darth_Brutus666

Darth_Brutus666 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2006
    Personally, I would love to see a set of sequels come out...that would make my day. But if that can't happen, then I would love to see GL make the EU G-Canon. At least then no one that decides to make a new Star Wars movie in 20 years can screw up those of us that read the EU and already treat it as Canon.

3. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    That will never happen. The eu doesn't fit in with star wars. Plus, it has already been put on film in the form of Ewoks: The Escape from Endor...or whatever it is called.

4. Black-Tiger

Black-Tiger Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2008
    I hope they're not made.

A film about Ewoks isn't what I'd call a Star Wars movie.

5. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    That's my point. Ewoks is about as relevant to star wars as any eu book is.

6. Darth-Johnny-Cash

Darth-Johnny-Cash Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 26, 2009
    After the truly horrible PT I hope Lucas never makes another SW movie. The sheer disappointment is to much.

7. Black-Tiger

Nov 25, 2008
    Ditto. Lucas has ruined the films enough with the PT without making even more travesties.

8. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    Imo they[pt trilogy] added nothing(for the most part) but depth the ot. Either they were never going to be made, or they were going to come out the way they did. Like it or not, but that's the truth. I was one of the people that thought they should never be made, at a point in time.

9. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Im all game for more SW. If we have a few duds, I dont care as long as we have a few good ones too.

10. Black-Tiger

Nov 25, 2008
    If the PT and ROTJ had been made as originally intended then yes, the ST would have been a must do. But they weren?t anywhere near originally intended so the ST shouldn?t be made.

11. Etgreat

Etgreat Jedi Knight

Mar 26, 2009
    Episodes VII-IX may be worth while, but I predict that a new 'Star Wars' film will take it back in time, but to a whole new level, perhaps set back in the KOTOR-era.

This would allow for a whole new set of characters to be developed that can be supplemented with a huge medieval feel in villans. The KOTOR II Sith Lords villians for example are some of the most interesting yet seen. The upcoming 'Old Republic' game might additionally, if well done, provide the groundwork for a film adaptation.

If a film set in these days is made, Lucas would be able to go back or forward with follow-ups at-will, whereas he has roughly filled up the Saga as is.

An additional benefit of taking the story backwards some 3,000 years is that much of that story remains untold, such as the origins of the galaxy (the storyline of KOTOR was incredible with the Rakatans and I'm sure many would agree). I know much of the EU has filled in the storyline of much of the Sith up to Darth Bane, but incredible gaps remain.

Specifically, one story that remains a mystery is the origin of the infamous 'prophecy' of the whole Saga that started things. A great film could be made that might have elements that parallel the Oracle of Delphi in ancient Greece that exists in the Galaxy annals or perhaps some learned and wise Jedi or Sith came up with during some famous 'battle dialog' that often happens in duels. I have in fact been thinking up some storyline for this myself.(a good way to pass time :)

Anyone interested in this should join the 'prophecy reinterpreted' thread and post your thoughts.

Anyway, what do you noble fans think about taking the films in this direction?

12. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I thought a ancient tales type set of films would be great.

Origins of the Jedi, Sith, Republic, etc

That would be cool.

A real Episode One if there ever was.

13. Black-Tiger

Nov 25, 2008
    That's what Kurtz said Ep. I was originally going to be about before Lucas changed his mind.

14. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    That's right.

I'd still want a trilogy of Anakin-Obi-Wan though.

Lucas' original ideas for Episode One could be a new set of films or a prologue to Episode One.

15. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Hi all - lifelong Star Wars fan, but first time to use these boards.

Regarding the issue of the sequel trilogy, I think the real question to be asked is whether or not the sequel trilogy, i.e. the Episodes VII-IX George Lucas originally planned, will ever be made, & what they were about.
    There's a certain inevitability about more Star Wars films making it to the big screen, whether or not they're live-action or animated, & there's going to be plenty of speculation as to the era they might be set in, & what they'll be all about, but, let's face it, they'll just be EU stories in motion picture form.

What I, & I'm sure many fans, are more interested in, is what Lucas originally meant to happen after ROTJ, when he envisioned the saga as requiring "three trilogies to tell." Zombie's fantastic book (The Secret History Of Star Wars) does provide as much information as it possibly can about the sequel trilogy, & knocks a few of the misconceptions out of the way (e.g. "the character who survives SWIII & his adventures"), but ultimately, we don't know anything about the story itself.

Personally, I don't think the story was all wrapped up in ROTJ. At one point, George Lucas did have some sort of ideas for three episodes beyond the defeat of the Empire, & he's been quoted as saying they would centre around the rebuilding of the Republic. Many here have pointed out that all the EU novels have covered that ground, so why bother? However, the few choice quotes from Lucas regarding the sequel trilogy do hint that he had something completely different in mind:

'If the first trilogy is social and political and talks about how society evolves,' Lucas says, 'Star Wars is more about personal growth and self realization, and the third deals with moral and philosophical problems. The sequel is about Jedi knighthood, justice, confrontation, and passing on what you have learned.'

According to a 1983 Time magazine article, its main theme would have been "the necessity for moral choices and the wisdom needed to distinguish right from wrong".

"I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII-IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."

Despite what comes before in the paragraph, the last bolded quote is one I think is more telling than it seems - it can be interpreted differently, but it could mean that the EU stories set after ROTJ didn't follow the story the way he would have - not just the plot & detail, but the overall tone & themes.

IMHO, I think it's possible that the very vague vision that George Lucas had for Episodes VII-IX was for a far more thoughtful, perhaps even pessimistic, series set in the SW universe, bringing a bittersweet ending to the saga, not unlike the very end of LOTR.

Most likely it would have involved, in part, Luke Skywalker witnessing the Republic being put back together amid all manner of political squabbling, & Luke reflecting on how the past was simply being repeated. One can imagine him asking himself, "So many of us fought & died for THIS?" He would be forced to face the temptation to use his powers to impose his own will upon the galaxy, just as his father did, & through facing this temptation, he would finally be able to come to terms with his family legacy, & truly understand why Anakin fell.

Of course, there would be other, more adventurous, elements to the story, we are talking about Star Wars, after all - but it may have been that Lucas' ultimate plan was to come full circle & finish the saga with a trilogy a bit closer to the cynical films of the early 1970s that he originally made Star Wars as a light-hearted antidote

16. A-Null

A-Null Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 23, 2009
    Personally I am all up for a ST because there can never be enough Star Wars!:) The only question that would need to be answered would be the time/era in which the ST is told.

Would it be around the direct events after the fall of the Empire? 10 years down the line?
    the Yuuzhan Vong war? (which I personally would love to see in live action!) :D
    the Legacy of the Force series

Or something totally new where new characters are introduced and the original characters are not ruined or spoiled by old age?

Thrawn is a prime example of a character I would like to see.

17. Rev

Rev Jedi Master star 2

Jan 3, 2005
    It seems to me that there's a fairly clear division among fans: those who generally liked the prequel trilogy would like to see sequels made, while those critical of the prequels are more often opposed to such prospects.

Furthermore, there's another division among those wanting a sequel trilogy themselves. Fans of the Expanded Universe often advocate Lucas basing the movies around a particular series, such as the Thrawn trilogy or the New Jedi Order, while non-EU fans would like to completely overwrite any post-Return of the Jedi literature with Lucas' own vision.

Personally, as a fan of the prequel trilogy and of the Expanded Universe comics and video games, but not a reader of the novels, I would like to see the movies made, but set in the time period between Fate of the Jedi and the Legacy comics. That way the movies aren't merely an adaptation of any books, nor should they necessarily reference them, but they also don't alter the continuity too drastically.

In keeping with the generational theme of the Saga, such movies would be centered around the adventures of Ben Skywalker . And like many on this thread, I would like to see Lucas' comments come to fruition about the sequels focusing heavily on "moral and philosophical problems... Jedi knighthood, justice, confrontation, and passing on what you have learned."

Even more than the sequels, though, what I'd really like to see is more animated series after the Clone Wars is over, taking place in the distant past and future relative to the films.

18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    That 'there was no cloned Emperor' comment by Lucas always irritated me - he reportedly loved Dark Empire, and gave it to all his co-workers to read, or some-such. And considering how the clone Emperor fits with the recent additions to clone continuity made by Lucas...

It fits very neatly...

19. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    Well I'm somebody who likes both the prequel and original trilogy but has no desire to see sequels. The movie series is, rightly or wrongly, now the tragedy of darth vader - making sequels to this without that character would be undignified i feel.

I'm quite happy to see a tv series set after ROTJ though. I'm actually trying to write outlines for one just now. I had a decent idea for a core theme throughout and think there's certainly enough options there. I'd actually rather see this period made into a live action tv series than the period between 3-4 that they're developing now. Having a series set between 3-4 without the principle characters makes me feel a little cheated in all honesty. Whereas having a series set 40 or so years after ROTJ with new characters makes sense and freshens things up. The current one they're making, I'm gonna be sitting thinking "yeah okay, very good. but i want to see obi-wan and owen arguing on tatooine. i want to see luke growing up. i want to see vader and the emperor scheming to take even more control of the galaxy and hunting down jedi. i want to see bail and leia on alderaan. i want to see how yoda is getting on with Qui-Gon as his master." i doubt we're going to get much, if any of that.

20. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Okay, imagine this:

You have a repressive regime that collapses post-ROTJ.

The Empire wasn't absolutely demolished ala Germany's Third Reich.

So you'd have power vacuums open up and different factions of the empire forming.

But the most interesting pert would likely come from the alliance itself.

How would that coalition hold together?

Would some people blame the jedi for all that happened?

I could easily see some powerful players wanting to steer the new government as far away from the old republic as possible.

The corruption and everything it spawned would likely lead to large numbers of people questioning the alliance's plans to "restore it".

pirates and crime lords would sweep the space lanes.

Imperial commanders would form their own little fiefdoms and little duchys.

Moving from an empire to a democracy is always rife with struggle and turmoil.

The United States almost went to war with itself just after the War for Independence.

And what of our "heroes"?

Luke would want to reestablish the Jedi Order.

Really? Would every citizen just sit back and let him reestablish an order that, from the regular joes perspective, was unable to stop the emperor to begin with?

Some might want retribution or revenge.

Heck, some in the rebel alliance, some corellians maybe, might want to snuff Lando out for his treachery on Cloud City.

You could easily insert some villain that would use this animus.

Do you remember how strident the nations of the former soviet bloc pushed for their own sovereignty?

Well, I could easily imagine that some alliance members would say "okay, the war is won. See ya later. By the way, leave us alone. We just overthrew a regime, don't impose another one on us."

Maybe corellia wants out and that tears at Han?

Maybe Leia becomes isolated from Luke and Han and that creates tension and turmoil?

21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    What do you mean?

22. THRAWN007

THRAWN007 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 3, 2002
    Rev I like your ideas of the sequel trilogy in that it should center on the adventures of Ben Skywalker and deal with Lucas' early quotes about the sequels in that it should "deal with Jedi Knighthood,Justice,Confrontation and passing on what you have learned" and Mark Hamill could have a supporting role as an older/wiser Luke as an Obi-Wan/Yoda like Jedi Master. I think that someome like J.J. Abrams should do the sequel trilogy since he did such a good job with the new Star Trek movie. Or maybe someone like Christopher Nolan or Steven Spielberg or Peter Jackson. Also I think it should be set after Fate of the Jedi and many years/decades before the Legacy comics. Maybe have Ben inherit the Millennium Falcon from Han Solo or maybe Jaina or Allana Solo could own the Falcon. And it would be cool to see the Unknown Regions or Wild Space in the sequels and have some cool space battles with perhaps the Jedi/Galactic Alliance or Mandalorians since Boba Fett hated the Jedi. Maybe have Boba as an antagonist? Or the new Sith order from Fate of the Jedi?

I think Darth Plagieus would make a great villian in the sequel trilogy and maybe he could come back from the dead to stalk the Skywalker family since he knew all about immortality.

23. Rev

Rev Jedi Master star 2

Jan 3, 2005
    If Lucas was only to produce the sequels and not direct them himself, he ought to hire a director that is known for his cinematography and action sequences. My top choices are...

3) Peter Jackson

2) Zack Snyder

1) Michael Bay

I like J.J. Abrams as well, but not necessarily Christopher Nolan. Batman Begins and the Dark Knight had great writing, but not great directing.

As for Darth Plagueis as the villain, that's one of the best suggestions for the sequels I've heard thus far, but I'm not convinced it would work. Perhaps the lack of a new threat which manages to feel like a natural progression of the series is one of Lucas' major reservations for not wanting to make the sequels.

24. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    Oh dear god, no. Michael Bay is as ugly a director you could find. Nolan directed both Batman movies superbly.

25. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Have already posted this on a similar thread in the Classic Trilogy forum, but personally, I think that whatever material is in GL's outlines for Eps VII-IX has been made long redundant by ROTJ & the prequel trilogy - if there was anything concrete there to begin with.

Given that he abandoned the sequel trilogy as ever happening, if there were any developed ideas for storylines, characters, new planets & the like, he most likely poached them to fill out Eps I-II.

The closest thing we have to a connection to Eps VII-IX in any of the films made so far is Yoda's line in ESB - "No, there is another" - & that has already been resolved/changed/cauterised, whatever you want to call it, by making Leia the 'Other'.

There will inevitably be more 'Episodes' of Star Wars, they just won't be the real ones, unless they have a big yellow opening crawl with Roman numerals, & GL claims "Well, this is how I planned it back in 1973 - after redeeming his father, Luke goes on a bloodthirsty rampage to find the frozen corpse of his mother & uses Sith alchemy to turn her into a cybernetic death machine to wipe out all resistance to his new Jedi Empire, but he wasn't reckoning on there being a third intelligent civilisation existing underground on Naboo - that's where Yoda came from - they've interbred with the Gungans & are led by a powerful Force user known as The Big Wild Ya-Ya..."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.