main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will Episodes 7, 8 and 9 be made after all?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Ulfor-Bombaasa, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Don't worry. I'm a fan of the Star Wars prequels. I'm used to people failing to recognize great films when they see them.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    That was in the 80's and before Lucas had told him, as well as everyone else, that all the story plot points for 7-9 were condensed into ROTJ. In the 1999 interview with Permiere Magazine, Lucas said that there were not going to be anymore after he finished the PT.

Mayhew appears to be either mistaken or lying, because IIRC, it was debunked at Celebration III.

The agreements are for the live action series.

Lucas had been after Presido long before ROTS. And as we know, there is Indy IV and the live action Star Wars series. Both of which can be used as a studio lot, if necessary. Though odds are it'll be used for the television series. Not to mention that if need be, Lucasarts can use it to film physical actions for use in upcoming SW games. The actions recorded and then used as a template for creating video game footage.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that they never went to Tunisia in ROTJ. It was all done in Death Valley and parts of Arizona.

3. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    That was in the 80's and before Lucas had told him, as well as everyone else, that all the story plot points for 7-9 were condensed into ROTJ.

Lucas didn't say anything about condensing the story, Kurtz did. His assertions are dubious at best since his involvement, and claim of story input, have been overstated. As of his May 1983 Time Magazine interview (circa the release of Jedi) Lucas stated what I mentioned in my post. He was still talking of 7-9 just prior to and after the release of Jedi. Hamill continued to say this into the 90's.

The agreements are for the live action series.

I thought that this site reported employees signed a NDA for 7-9.

4. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Hamill continued to repeat the same story from before. And since at least 1999, he has stated that he will not be doing any more films after ROTS.

R Burke: "Are you going to miss it?"

George Lucas: "I am not going to miss it. I love doing it, but it is 20 years of my life. I am anxious to get on and do other things. We are still doing a TV series, two TV series, one animated and one live action, so I am not going to do it myself, but I'll peek in from time-to-time. So I won't completely have lost the Star Wars experience."

--Static Multimedia interview, June 2005.

Are you planning to do the final trilogy as well? To make it a saga of nine films?

No, no. [After Star Wars came out] somebody asked me if I were going to do a sequel. And I said, "I'm doing the other two parts to this one." And they said, "You're doing this trilogy-do you have any more?" And I said, "I've got this backstory, which I've laid out. I could probably do that." And they said, "But are you going to do a sequel?" And I said, "I guess maybe I could do a sequel at some point." And that got turned into nine films.

So it's really six films.

It's six films. It's not really nine films. It's extremely unlikely that I will go on anddo any more.

--Anne Thompson interviewing George Lucas, Premiere Magazine interview; May 1999.

Yeah and that doesn't mean that they don't get it wrong. We have been known to get information that would later turn out to be false, on more than one occassion.

5. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Hamill continued to repeat the same story from before. And since at least 1999, he has stated that he will not be doing any more films after ROTS.

Correct, since 1999. Not the 80s as you originally stated, which was my point. Remember that there was a 10 year period where Lucas said no prequels either.

And you're right, he currently states it's 6 episodes and that was all he had. But from 78/79 until the PT he claimed it was 9 episodes (except for briefly when he said 12), just check the Time Magazine interview from 83. In it Lucas himself says 9 and proceeds to give hints about the PT and the ST.

Don't you think his original statements are more accurate to what he originally intended as opposed to his revisionist history?

It's extremely unlikely that I will go on anddo any more.

Sounds like he's leaving the door open.

6. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I never said that Lucas didn't say that there wouldn't be more films back in the 80's. I said that Hamill had told that story, as did Lucas, since the 80's. Actually, 78 and 79. Re-read what I wrote in response to what Skywalkin said.

He has also flat out said that he's done with the films.

"I am not going to miss it. I love doing it, but it is 20 years of my life. I am anxious to get on and do other things."

7. ForceJumpAnakin

ForceJumpAnakin Force Ghost star 4

Dec 24, 2006
    On Ebert & Roeper's tv show, one of them said (Ebert, I think) that in another 20 years someone may think of doing another 3 films just because the other ones have made a lot of money. And if he's involved, George Lucas may tell them something like "ok here is my idea (hands the papers over), and go ahead", but someone else will direct it and make it happen. I can't remember exactly what they said, but it was something to that extent. It is just a thought, it is nothing to keep in mind for me, but after 20 30 years from now, I won't be completely surprised if somebody else decides to go for it.

8. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I could definitely see that if Lucas can find someone he'd trust with the series as it wouldn't take as much time.

9. Ulfor-Bombaasa

Ulfor-Bombaasa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 17, 2006
    Do you mean someone like Rick McCallum, the producer of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, the OT Special Editions, the PT and the upcoming live action TV series? I don't think there's anyone on the planet who understands the mind of George Lucas better than Rick McCallum.

10. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    That was in the 80's and before Lucas had told him, as well as everyone else, that all the story plot points for 7-9 were condensed into ROTJ. In the 1999 interview with Permiere Magazine, Lucas said that there were not going to be anymore after he finished the PT.

I don't want to argue with you or anyone else, but that is what you said. You said in the 80's and not from/since the 80's. What you said implies that Hamill said something in the 80's and Lucas then told him (before the 90's) that the story was condensed. What you said/implied is wrong on two counts because A.)Hamill continued to say the same thing into the 90's and at least a few times since the turn of the century and B.) Lucas NEVER said anything about condensing, Kurtz did.

I suggest that you reread what you wrote, because my initial response is consistant with what you wrote originally, not what your interpretation is now, and shows that your statement is false.

11. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    Officer TR has spoken.
    [face_shhh]

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Okay, I concede your point. But my point is that Lucas has maintained that there will not be anymore films, over the last few years. There's only going to be a live action show and an animated one. He's too old to do more, he doesn't feel comfortable turning the films over to someone else since he likes to be involved and the story is all wrapped up in ROTJ.

13. aesium

aesium Jedi Master star 2

May 31, 2004
    Maybe the answer is too obvious to believe that everyone will agree on it, but if another three were made 20 years down the road and knew that the main three may not be in it, would you still watch them?

I know I would.

14. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    I would...and if they are made in 20 years...I would guess that they will either be pre-Republic movies or maybe a hundred years after Jedi or something, assuming Ford, Fisher and Hamill aren't involved...I think the worst thing anyone could do would be to recast Han Leia and Luke..the backlash, even 20 years from now, would be huge.

As for what Lucas said in the 80's...that was 20-25 years ago...even if Lucas had intended to make more back then (which he did with the prequels), even if he specifically stated that he would make sequels...after 30 ears of Star Wars...the guy is entitled to change his mind.

Maybe he does have a story for a sequel...I wouldn't be surprised if he did, Lucas is the kind of guy who would think up new stories all the time...doesn't mean he's going to go out and make them though.

I think that whatever he said 20 years ago doesn't have any relevance...right here and now, Lucas doesn't plan on making any more...he might change his mind again in the future but as of right now, there are 6 Star Wars films...there are no cliffhangers to be resolved, no hints at future stories...the saga is complete.

In 20 years, Lucas or myself (i fully plan to have "acquired" Lucasfilm by then) :D or somebody may decide to make more Star Wars movies...and I'll be the first in line if and when that day comes...but right now it's a big IF.

15. Obi-Bob

Obi-Bob Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 16, 1999
    That is a big IF. However, as you said, Lucas had one idea 30 years ago and has a different plan now. I think the point of this thread, and the point of the original poster, was that it is POSSIBLE that Lucas may change his mind again. Sure it is not probable, but it is possible.

As for movies being made 20 more years from now, Hamill, Ford, and Fisher will be around 70, no? One or more of them COULD make minor role appearances. Though, I don't think there would be a major problem in recasting. Lucas did a pretty good job finding McGregor to be a "young" McGuinness. Why should it be too hard to find an "old" Hamill, Ford, or Fisher? But don't get me wrong, I'd much rather the original actors.

16. mastertristan

mastertristan Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2007
    i think if the 7 8 9 are made Lucas wont be making them, it will fall to the other directors and producers, i have no doubt that the story is there to do it, in lucas head, but i am unsure to whether he would do another 3 films, he has to many books been writen on what went on after ROTJ to really do a proper story, 1 aspect it would be nice, but in another aspect the books written by people would simply be null and void, or LUCAS would be trapped with in a pre written story line, and thats not LUCAS

17. MASTER-OF-EVIL

MASTER-OF-EVIL Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    Ive read this whole thread and have had discussions with fellow star wars fans and one thing we agreed to if there were going to be more Star wars films it will be after George Lucas dies, I can't see him doing, making another Star wars film unless it was in the next few years which is impossible(Live-Action/CGI Tv series). Someone will do their own sets of films after Mr.Lucas is gone. Thats all im going to say on the matter.

M-O-E

18. Mace_Won

Mace_Won Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2006
    Who's to say that Jett won't follow in his father's footsteps and become a filmmaker? I think the only way I would accept a sequel trilogy (or a pre-PT) would be either to have it all done by Lucas or have his son direct with George's story handed down to him.

19. Mace_Won

Mar 21, 2006
    Sorry, but let me just add that I would also accept another trilogy directed by one of George's daughters if they so happened to choose their father's occupation. I was not trying to imply that Star Wars could only be done by a male Lucas, but I would like to see the story come entirely from George or in collaboration with his kid.

20. Ulfor-Bombaasa

Mar 17, 2006
    I totally disagree. George Lucas has a lot of years left and he looks like he's in better shape than he was ten years ago. I'm sure he wants a break from Star Wars and wants to get Indiana Jones IV done first. He also wants to get the animated and live action TV shows underway. But after a break, I believe he will ultimately return to do the sequels. I'm not saying he'll direct all three - he may only direct Episode 7 and turn the other two over to another director. And Rick McCallum can carry much of the load on this. I just think at the end of the day there are too many reasons to make the Episodes 7, 8 and 9 and not enough not to.

21. Mace_Won

Mar 21, 2006
    You're not disagreeing with me, I said in my first post that I would only accept a sequel trilogy if it was done by Lucas or his kids. I never said they couldn't do it, and I extremely wish they will. I was just stating that I hope nobody else tries to do it without Lucas' supervision after he passes on.

You're right, Lucas is only 61 and with the new technology they're using in the Magneto prequelfilm to the X-men trilogy, they can make any actor look like their younger self through cg, so they could still have the big three in the films.

22. Ulfor-Bombaasa

Mar 17, 2006
    You are right - it looks like we agree for the most part. And hey, if Star Wars fans started clamoring for Episodes 7, 8 and 9 to be made like they demanded the DVD release of the original theatrical presentations of Episodes 4, 5 and 6, they may ultimately get their wish. We continually heard "no, no, no - we're not going to release them", and then they finally did release them citing strong fan demand. Similarly, strong fan demand finally convinced Warner Bros. to release the Richard Donner Cut of Superman II after over 25 years of waiting. If Star Wars fans would channel some of their energy arguing over whether the sequels will be made and concentrate on asking for them, we might get them sooner rather than later.

23. Darth Mace

Darth Mace Jedi Master star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    While I don't personally think episodes 7, 8, and 9 will ever be made (if more films are made I think they'd be old repulic era) but what better cover than a live action TV series. It's widely known that more Star Wars is being filmed, it's just for TV. It wouldn't be that hard to sneak in some more actors and complete another feature film during this same time and it could go virutally unnoticed by anyone.

24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The man is in his early 60's. He's said that he doesn't want to be doing them into his 70's. Nor does he feel comfortable letting others handle it. He's too much of a perfectionist to just sit back and let someone else do it. That's one of the reasons he directed the PT. He couldn't stay fully out of the OT.

25. Ulfor-Bombaasa

Mar 17, 2006
    He also doesn't like to be bothered by the never-ending questions he'd be getting from fans if he was currently admitting he intended to make the sequels. If strong fan demand continues to build, they will be made when George Lucas is good and ready.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.