main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will fan backlash affect development of IX?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BalanceOfTheForce, Dec 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    Looks play a HUGE factor in casting. C'mon this is obvious, was Diasy not cast because she looks attractive, I have a feeling if she was obese or overweight they would not have considered her. Same with Hayden and Adam. It's Hollywood.

2. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Kylo Ken?

oncafar likes this.
  3. City Councilman Binks

City Councilman Binks Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2014
    So it seems like Black Panther audience score keeps dropping. The similiarities with the TLJ are uncanny. So basically the TLJ backlash was similar to Black Panther, driven by the alt-right.

I hope lucasfilm pays no attention to the backlash and continues full steam ahead...

4. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Fans don't own Star Wars. They only consume it.

5. Do it for Holdo

Do it for Holdo Jedi Padawan

Dec 29, 2017
    The crazy part is RT preemptively blocked the thousands in that group from being able to post reviews at all. A luxury they didn’t afford TLJ in the slightest.

To be clear, I obviously don’t think all of the hate for TLJ was political. I think a significant portion of it was Luke anger and possibly also anti Reylo and anti Rey Random anger too. It is interesting the steps they are doing toward helping BP though.

Also, JJ says no complaints are impacting how he makes IX.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  6. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Come on... Or maybe people genuinely just didn't like the movie. It's possible you know.

wobbits and Shadao like this.
  7. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    meanwhile, it appears JJ doesn't really give much though to extreme backlash. Very interesting interview:

IndieWire Link

jaqen likes this.
  8. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    None of those "angers" concerns GA. Like any political or fandom-driven angers, they are very small and insignificant, albeit loud so you may think they have more numbers than they actually do. But it's just the same people posting over and over. What turned GA off is good old boredom - overlong running time, feeling that the story didn't move forward, unfunny comedy - while being presented with an entertaining alternative such as Jumanji (shorter, on point and actually funny).

Moreover, not all parts of a 4 quadrant movie are meant to appeal to everyone. For example, GOTG has some very adult jokes that are intended for adults and not for kids, so while adults laugh kids stare blankly. But there are aspects of the movie that are meant only for kids and adults can take them or leave them. Likewise, not all parts of TLJ are meant for everyone but they should appeal to their target audience. For example, Reylo is a hit with its intended target audience. It's the most popular ship on social media for 9 weeks in a row, the fandom grew since the movie release (it was big already after TFA but now tripled and more), the character dynamic is the most praised aspect of the movie and even many of those who don't like the movie at least love their tag team fight with the Praetorian Guards. In short, Reylo has fans and like any very popular thing it has detractors. Should Kanye stop making music cause he has detractors? Should Christopher Nolan stop making movies cause he has detractors too? Nope.

9. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Partially, sure. But that's not the full picture and it shouldn't be used as an excuse to ignore the many problems TLJ has.

BalanceOfTheForce, Shadao and 11-4D like this.
  10. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    Exactly. it's certainly an easy way out for the studio to pin the blame on a boogeyman instead of admitting that the movie had actual problems (most glaring being bad pacing and overlong running time with tons of filler or at least material that felt like a filler). But lets check some facts. Alt-right tried the same with RO if not with TFA too. I remember that they were calling for boycott of RO. However, cause the movie had good WOM they couldn't spin a tale that drop was due to women or whatever since there was no drop to speak of. Even sites hungry for clicks ignored them cause no story. However, TLJ proved more vulnerable thanks to problems that have nothing to do with politics, and WOM became mixed with bad weekly holds, so alt-right hijacked the narrative mostly because clickbait sites were willing to report such spin. Moreover, while I'm sure that some spamming took place on RT, they couldn't have dropped the Audience Rating under 50% without genuine reactions. There's simply not that many of them even with sock account and bots which is something RT should be able to catch.

Shadao and 11-4D like this.
  11. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Some people, sure. But you really think less than half the audience liked the movie? C'mon....

That YOU think TLJ has. Many of us were very happy with it.

12. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014
    Obviously, it's my opinion, but Hayden was a terrible fit for Anakin. I can't imagine why he was cast, other than his heart-throb looks. Not his acting, or screen presence, or voice.... But again, it's my opinion, not an objective fact.

13. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yep. It went from 75% to 74% in less than an hour tonight. It will go down further, I'm sure. I just hope people here aren’t still kidding themselves and taking TLJ’s audience rating of 48% as genuine.

14. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Clearly. Fans I’ve talked to in real life hated the movie. “Trolls” couldn’t get the rating down to 48% with over a hundred thousand votes.

MasterPrince713 and Shadao like this.
  15. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I doubt the complains about TLJ are related to the story but more related to the stupid humor of some parts, and the lack of explanation for certain things TFA introduced.

IX can improve the use of humor and expand a bit on things like Rey's parentge and how Snoke became Supreme Leader. But I certanly do not think they should change where the story is going just becase some fans believe RJ ruined their childhood because Luke was not like they were expecting or Rey is not related to the Skywalkers.

16. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    As I've stated before, I have never seen anything like TLJ's reception before. I've heard this alt-right attack for TFA and RO, but they have never reached the levels of TLJ's audience reception before. If they had any affect, it would still imply there is a critical weakness within TLJ itself that actually made it possible. After all, hacking into the voting system or bot-spamming would have little effect on the outcome unless the subject in question has a lot of noticeable flaws that can't be helped but parroted across the media.

Let's also remember that RJ admits that TLJ was divisive though never meant to destroy the fanbase. If it's divisive, then it's not surprising to see the audience score be at a low 48%. That's what divisiveness usually does.

With that said, I honestly feel that the whole alt-right is an excuse for people to not actually look for flaws in ST. The critiques of Rey being overpowered way too fast in TFA was shut down by people who accused the people who hate Rey as being sexist or unable to handle a female protagonist. As such, the issue was largely unaddressed, allowing TLJ to double down on the problem that many defenders of TFA Rey found themselves unable to defend her anymore and forced to concede that the detractors are right. That should be the last thing that Disney wants. New TFA fans becoming disillusioned and siding with the old critics.

If JJ Abrams does not listen to the fan's legit problems with the story and characters, then he would risk making the same mistakes and somehow make them worse. Lucas was wise enough to listen to fans regarding the problems about Jar Jar Binks and scaled back his role in AOTC and ROTS.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  17. n8storm

n8storm Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2005
    I don't think JJ is talking about ignoring criticisms in general of TLJ, just the extreme racist or sexist ones (which he also dealt with on TFA).

18. Shadao

Oct 31, 2017
    I've heard that the article's title is a clickbait and that JJ Abrams was responding to interviewer's question about fans who hated TLJ because of too many women.

If that is case, then the news media is only hampering the fans' feedback of TLJ to JJ Abrams and co. and helping the issues go unaddressed by mixing the critiques with the alt-right.

19. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    One thing is correcting certain aspects like tone or humor, and other is changing the overall story just because certain fans do not like the direction. Lucas cut Jar-Jar, but the basic story he had in mind remained.

Not sure if certain criticisms by fans are more aimed towards LFL commanding JJ to revive Snoke or make Rey Luke's kid or something. Cause that is what is most likely not going to happen.

rorow1 likes this.
  20. Shadao

Oct 31, 2017
    As much as I dislike these things in TLJ, going back on them in Episode IX would only make me more angry because that implies they are not committed to an idea, whatever it may be.

It also opens a critical weakness within the ST overall. Remember Justice League? Well, when a studio is not committed to one vision and starts throwing darts everywhere to appease the detractors, it only created a mess neither won most of the detractors or maintained the fanbase that follows them.

You cannot revive Snoke or Luke. But you can address things like Rey's powers, Rey's character, or Rey being an actual heir to Luke Skywalker (like actual teaching skills).

dragonchic likes this.
  21. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    Yep, studios take general complains into consideration but not plot-specific attempts to write the movies for them. So if complaint is that a movie's too dark, they'll promise more fun and vice versa. But they won't go back and retcon something or just cut and paste plot-point suggestions.

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  22. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    Agree. This is precisely what I am expecting to happen.

BalanceOfTheForce likes this.
  23. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014
    I'm not saying there aren't real people with real (non right wing) complaints. I'm saying the movie was heavily brigaded. It was. Both things can be true. They are not mutually exclusive.

rorow1, WebLurker and civilsecret like this.
  24. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014
    Well, we'll see. JJ is a different film maker, so naturally the movie will have a different tone. That's not any kind reaction to "backlash."

I suspect that if there IS a "reaction" it's likely to take the form of having a bit more positive interaction between Luke and Rey. Maybe a bit more of a reveal as to who Snoke was and how he became the Supreme Leader. But it could also be that such things were in JJ's plans for months before TLJ's release.

panki, Darth_Bertie and civilsecret like this.
  25. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Problem is that Critics gave it a 91% on RT and its the fans who seem to have the most issue with the movie.

Fans haven't helped by basically being quite immature over it by hassling the actors or rumors of trying to sabotage the RT rating or various other petitions and stuff.

It puts fan opinion in a bad light and probably makes it harder for the creative team to take seriously.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.